Hi, I’m trying to get this ASM to work in FE8. However, when I install the ASM I have no Idea what to do. The Readme says “To set an item as a growth modifier, set bit 0x1 in byte 0x22 in its item data” but this dose nothing and I can’t seem find the growth modifiers for them. I’m using the stackable mod and I’m making them like FE5’s Crusader Scrolls.
Derp. Didn’t realize that. But now I have a big problem. In FE8, when an unit is about to level up and enters combat with the growth modifying item on them the game just freezes. Any Idea whats going on?
You need to make the stat boost pointer in the item data a, well, pointer to stat boost data:
The first nine bytes of the stat boost
list it points to is reserved for static stat boost as usual (+7HP, +2STR,etc); the next seven bytes are for growth modifiers
in the order HP/Str/Skl/Spd/Def/Res/Luck; these modifier values can be negative if you like, and a character's growth rate
in a stat will never fall below zero.
Otherwise you’re just pointing to any old data which might not be helpful. I probably should have implemented edge-casing for when the code gets fed nonsense numbers tbf.
I tried it yesterday morning, got the same issue; the character that would level-up froze before the battle started. Tried again this morning, intending to show screenies, and it worked. I did everything exactly the same as before, except this time I made all the boosts 64 (100) instead of A0 (160), so maybe there’s some kind of cap? I don’t really know. Maybe your pointer isn’t in free space? According to this you should try something between 0x00B2A610 to 0x00C00000. I personally did 0x8B30000.
By pointer, I meant the stat bonuses pointer. In your case, it’s 0xE500A0. And no, you paste the .dmp exactly where you put it (0x2BA28). As to the latter question, originally I made my growth bonuses be A0 (+160%) across the board; when I tried it the second time, I made them 64 (+100%) across the board. As far as I know, that’s the only change I made, and it worked the second time but not the first.
Do me a favor. Take a screenshot of your hex editor at 0xE500A0.
EDIT: There is something funny going on here.
Eirika’s growths: 70 40 60 60 60 30 30.
I made a savestate just before she kills the boss in the prologue and levels up.
Without any growth-rate-messing-items, she gets 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 (hp, skl, spd, and res).
Change growths to 7F 7F 7F 7F 7F 7F 7F (the highest each stat can go): (When I say growths, I mean the item growths, not the character growths)
Expected: 2 1 2 2 1 1 2
Got: Same as expected. So far, so good.
Changed to 80 80 80 80 80 80 80 (the lowest each stat can go):
Expected: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Got: Game froze.
Changed to 1E 3C 28 28 28 46 46 (each growth is at 100 now):
Expected: 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Got: 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 (def didn’t go up)
Changed to 00 00 00 00 29 47 47 (luk/def/res are at 101)
Expected: 1 0 1 1 1 1 1
Got: 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 (def didn’t go up again)
Changed to 00 00 00 00 00 7F 00 (def growth now at 30 + 127 = 157. If it doesn’t go up, there’s an issue.)
Expected: 1 0 1 1 0 1 1
Got: 1 0 1 1 0 0 2 (STILL no def, but res got +2)