Venno's small ASM hacks and notes

whats the formula?

Exact formula is:

Level 1-4: 2 Turns
Level 5-9: 3 Turns
Level 10-14: 4 Turns
Level 15+ : 5 Turns
Promoted users will make their statuses last 5 turns.

I suppose this would be a bit more complicated for FE8, right…?
It would outright solve most of my problems. T-T

I’ll take a look for FE8 - shouldn’t be too tough to make it always use the Skirmish system for determining the leader.

That’d be awesome, thank you so much.

Meanwhile, I’ve made a system for items that modify a character’s growths when held - much like FE5’s Crusader Scrolls, both positive and negative growth modifiers can be used.

This hack uses one of the unknown bytes in item data, and makes use of an item’s stat boost pointer; an item set to modify growths will use the first nine bytes of its stat boost as stat boosts as normal, and the following seven bytes will be read for growth mods, for 16 bytes total for the stat/growth boost array for a growth modifier (normal items only use the regular 9 bytes, as before)

There are two versions of this mod - one which allows multiple growth-modifying items to stack their effects, and one which does not. Both of them install in the same way.

Download (FE8)

Thanks to @Crazycolorz5 for his shortened level-up routine that I used as a base for this.

5 Likes

Alright, I think I have the answer: at 0x3325A, write 21 E0; that’ll make the autocursor focus on the first deployed unit, and will also make the status screen reflect that!

but…Blazer did that like a year ago

Whoa whoa whoa, super cool! ^^

And also, thanks for the autocursor fix. Now that’s a real life saver.

If he did, he never posted it anywhere. So really he didn’t do it if he didn’t bother making it available in any way.

1 Like

I love it when “X did this but never released it.” If someone can’t provide a public link there shouldn’t be any claim to “did this first” unless it’s really something nobody else is gonna to be able to do.

10 Likes

Update - added a version of the passive stat boost hack that prevents multiple passive boosting items that boost the same stat from stacking their effects. Only the first one in inventory will apply.

You can still have a passive Speedwing and Energy Ring together, but not two Speedwings; and a theoretical item that boosted all stats would not be usable with any other passive stat boosting item.

Bug fix update - the custom animations for FE8 hack had a small error that resulted in all animations turning into map animations, which has now been fixed. All the files have now been condensed into a single .zip too, so you don’t have to download everything one by one.

Edit: Fixed up some other hacks which had issues; the old download links still work for you to get the fixed versions.

-DSFE-style growths
-Dancer Tweak
-Growth-modifying items

2 Likes

I’m trying to figure out how to make a weapon deal effective damage against three types of unit here.
So, All units have up to two “types” (say armored [0x1] and mounted [0x2] in this case). A weapon that pops open armors like a can opener would have effectiveness [0x1], and an armor shield would have weapon effect 0x40 in byte two and effectiveness [0x1]. But say I had three types of mages with [0x3], [0x4], and [0x5], and I wanted both a shield that would protect the holder from any of these three types, and a weapon that deals effective damage against all three types. How would I go about doing that?

E: What if something with the delphi shield weapon ability just looks at the effectiveness pointer and shields from that?

Oh whoops, that description is outdated. The current version just works off of bitfields now, and a unit can have up to 16 types (2 bytes worth of bitfield). To have a shield that protects against multiple types or a weapon that effects multiple types, just add the bits together - so types [0x3] + [0x4] + [0x5] would come out as 0x0038.

I know that Fire Shell has your weapon rank bonuses hack, but does it also have your passive enemy hit hack? It doesn’t seem like it. In the case where the weapon rank bonuses hack already exists, what do I have to do to install only the passive enemy hit hack?

Seems like I forgot to include the passive enemy hit thing in my latest revision of the weapon rank hack…that’s been fixed now, you can find it here. Install the “Rank + Enemy Hit” dmp over wherever you had the weapon rank code before.

I’ve encountered a minor problem when using the weapon lock hack.

I’m attempting to create a B rank lance that only halberdiers can use. After installing the hack and doing the necessary repointing to an array that begins with 0x3, I’ve observed the following behavior:

• Units who are not halberdiers but can use lances cannot use the prf lance (desired).
  • Halberdiers can use the lance at any rank (undesired).
  • Enemy generic halberdiers don’t automatically level up their lance rank (undesired).

Observation 3 probably has to do with observation 2. It seems that right now, setting the indicator bit to 0x3 still creates a soft class lock instead of a hard class lock (unless I screwed something up).

The weapon lock hack is pretty rickety tbh…another thing I ought to rewrite.

I rewrote the hack in C++ because it was giving me trouble