[FE8] Gaiden-style Magic Menu

She needs to have a weapon rank in the magic type she learns. (This is so Valkyrie L’arachel isn’t learning Fire or vice versa)

1 Like

Please, Try to make Eirika a Mage Class.
It should work properly.

Ah. On retrospect that’s pretty obvious. And rather embarrassingly, as this I can see earlier on this thread, this isn’t the first time I’ve made said mistake.

Also there’s still the issue that long range spells don’t appear as a display option unless the character can already use black magic by being in 2 range of an enemy. Ie, if you give a unit Purge, they can’t use it unless they’re close enough to also use fire on an enemy.

A quick question: What does the patch use to determine how much HP a spell costs?

Weapon exp I believe.

Ah, okay. Thank you for explaining!

Just wanted to point out that the bug that currently doesn’t allow mages to counter with spells from their personal spell list on EP could also be considered a feature: imagine a more complex hack where every playable mage is recruited with a tome in their inventory that can’t be traded away from them and they can’t even be traded a tome from another unit.
This basically means that mage characters counter in EP with only that spell while on PP they can choose between all the spells they’ve learned, basically making them into a different unit in PP and EP; if every mage starts with a different “counter spell” it could even be a balancing element where you can have one mage have a strong list of personal spells but an only average “counter spell” while another character has a poor list of personal spells but a better “counter spell”.
You’d have to disable attacking with the equipped tome on PP though. I dunno, just food for thought.

1 Like

Okay, I think I ran into a problem.
emulator
While working on my MAFC submission (which uses the FEBuilder version of this), viewing the description of Lightning in the spell-select menu seems to… cause some issues.

Also, healing doesn’t appear to be available with this. Was that intentional?

The FEBuilder port was made with an unfinished version of this spell system. I have a finished version with almost all the bugs worked out in my main project, but haven’t had time to backport it to vanilla FE8 and re-release it. I’ll make a post when I do.

3 Likes

So like a year later now, any sign of that updated patch for Fire Emblem Builder? I’m trying to make a hack out of the Gaiden style spell and it’s proving very buggy. Units are learning spells they shouldn’t, healing magic is impossible (as I suspect is long range magic which I plan to include later), some units freeze the game when their magic option is selected and for some reason random enemy units can display their crit animation on every attack while dealing regular damage, but more bizzarely, they can also randomly attack with Vidofnir (this I converted into a feature by renaming it whiff and giving it 0 accuracy). By far the worst thing however is that for some units the option to use magic doesn’t show up unless they’re adjacent to an enemy, which is truly troublesome as I want it to be a player phase focused game where attacking from range without receiving a counter attack is key to success.

Sorry for the delay. The current FEBuilder port was made with what’s basically my first proof of concept, so features like staffs weren’t developed yet at the time of porting. Some bugs are inherent at that early stage and the patch adaptation is not really in a state to build a full hack around at this time.

I’ve had other priorities push this one down, so @Snakey1 has taken over development for the public release and is including several improvements. You can follow the Legends of Avenir server for updates as he posts them there. We didn’t set a particular estimated release date since we’re both focusing on higher priority stuff and final exams.

5 Likes

Can you provide a link to that forum? I’m not really a regular here with knowledge of where to look.

I’ve been intermittently working on developing the system, and I post my progress in here whenever I finish some aspect of it. Been super busy with schoolwork and other projects lately, though. It’s designed to work from within the Skill System, though once rhat version is finished, I’ll likely have a standalone version as well.

3 Likes

This system is very cool. I can’t wait for the version that integrates with skillsystem! I’d love to design using this - I feel that it’s a great way to encourage using multiple units and that it provides extra depth to the player phase.

Thanks for making this, Gamma, and Snek for taking it over. I look forward to the release.

So how far along is that new version of this?

Last I left it, I had the menu and player phase combat completely functional. I was working on displayed attack ranges when I began to work on my FEE3 stuff. I still need to finish that, enemy phase things, stat screen display, and some other things.
Once our FEE3 stuff is submitted, I plan on finishing this for the Skill System.

1 Like

Okay. I have a hack that heavily utilizes the gaiden magic system, so I’m looking forward to seeing a less glitchy version of it out there.

Hello genius HyperGammaSpaces,it’s a great honor to be able to find your work here. I’m a fresher in FEHacking,and is studing on your source code about this artwork gaiden style spellsystem。And I encountered a problem when I try to figure out how it working when I diged into the submenu “spell_menu.event”:

I found that you set a “optionNumber” when tryng to call for submenu in UMCommand Effect, which I could only found the remarks in “DOC-master by StanH/MenuNotes.txt”:
09 | byte | command id (used for disabling commands through events)
Besides, the sub-Attack Menu command in vanila is just one command with “optionNum”=0x48:

I wonder why you took 5 commandDefs and how this “optionNum” works.Could you please give a hint on how it works?
Thank you very much! :blush:

2 Likes

What’s the current status of this project? I see a mention in the skill systems page that in January there was a Gaiden magic system 2.0 that’s compatible with the skill system, but I see no mention of that here (and Fire Emblem GBA doesn’t seem like it’s updated either the magic or skill system in about a year).

The skill systems github buildfile has gaiden magic 2.0 included as an optionally installable feature.

Febuilder’s gaiden magic patch is very old. I do not recommend using it.

To use gaiden magic 2.0 in febuilder you need an understanding of buildfiles / custom build.