[FE8] Fire Emblem: The Sacred War [complete]

But you can save now in the Tower.
Unless you mean this is a personal challenge.

It’s a personal challenge and to see if doing it like this will make the clear data not as weird as the last time uwu

Since there’s apparently a score of sorts? Played in version 1.25

I plan on running the rift twice more for the only infinite durability weapon that players get as seen in the campaign. Lots of savestates, lots of Nosferatu. And then some more Nosferatu. Did I mention Nosferatu? Tower was easy to solo with just that on a Sage, last floor I used dragon stone Mryhh but any sacred weapon should’ve worked.

Most of the Rift were done with Nosferatu sage again just with my lord hanging around with Sol Seal spam as a supply bot. A few Rexfrost and Arcwind were in and one floor needed Arcthunder. Only needed a handful of sacred weapon uses, dark tome used due to extra accuracy and damage. Final level I brought out a second sage and Druid, Hel can work instead of sacred weapons honestly although Latona is a must.

Overall a fun hack although tedious at points.
My main complaints are a lack of range 1-2 swords (Erika as lord felt useless most of end/post game), certain units not moving but not being marked as “—” mov and the abundance of gem drops clogging supply. The last could easily be fixed with changing every red or blue gem into cash drops as they appear most by far. Mini hp bars would also always be nice but for a hack with so much content it’s surprising how little there is ‘wrong’ with it.

Personally I didn’t enjoy the final part of the final level, Petrify seemed overkill. While I understand the point of having to kill all the bosses in one turn in the final level that wasn’t fun to me either.

Did have a lot of fun with your terrain changing in the middle of the level in several maps! Thanks for the hack, as before I do love the battle backgrounds. Oh ,and thanks for revealing locations of secret shops and desert treasure :stuck_out_tongue:

(Keep editing this, gah)
Specifically, first 3 levels of Rift I did with a single Nosferatu sage but he appeared on all levels. Level 4 added Mryhh for her flying + skill and then from 5-9 Sage + lord. 10 was four units (sage, sage, lord, druid).

In terms of bugs I only noticed:

1. Inesse, and Joshou (at least as swordmaster) have some oddly placed pixel that show up in their animation character page or map when the cursuor is over them.
  2. No idea what causes it but I’ve had a few cases where upon returning to the world map after a skirmish or leaving the tower the map would load and then the rom freeze. I’ve also had this happen a few times where the screen goes black. That has happened when loading overworld map but also a few times when loading a level in tower or rift.
1 Like

This is an issue that should be fixed with a soft reset.

I want to blame VBA for these
as in the past it was VBA that caused random crushes during loading of maps in Tower/Rift
but I don’t have solid tech proof for that.

I can only tell you that it’s good to soft reset every map clear
or every 1~2hours of game time.

Some time later.

I should now get around to finishing your first hack.

1 Like

Those won’t be implemented as they cause various nasty bugs in this Romhack:

1. They (HP Bars) won’t display for player units with HP61+.
    As the MHP players can get is 115 for each unit, they can have 68/100HP
    but the game will display them as fully healed.
  2. When multiple player units with HP61+ are deployed, the stage map blanks out
    as it can’t keep track of all the units.
    It’s ok for up to 9, and I guess up to 14 units, but no more.
    If the all the deployed units have lower HP (around 20~35)
    then the game can have even 20 units NP.

Shouldn’t the answer be fixing the bars and not just removing them though

Can you fix them?
It seems like a RAM issue.

… How so? What makes you think the issue is with RAM?

If it works up to a limit fine
and then beyond that borks
how do you explain it?

Do you want me to send you a copy with the HP Bar patch applied?

“how do you explain it” isn’t a good proof of it being related to RAM at all lol

You said “it can’t keep track of all the units”, but it doesn’t need to, and it doesn’t do that as far as I know, it just runs every frame, there is nothing to keep track of.
It stores nothing to RAM other than the objects in OAM.

I think the newer version does store stuff to RAM, but I think that’s only for the effectiveness warnings, so if you think it’s a RAM issue get rid of that.

What I would expect the issue to be is that it gets the max HP from RAM instead of using the getter, so depending on how you are making the units have so much HP it might not be taking that extra HP into account.

Either way, why don’t you ask Stan instead of me, since he is the one that did the newer one?
Stuff can’t get fixed if you don’t let the authors know.

I have not touched Hp Bars ever (outside of installer refactoring) (Teq is the one that added a bunch of things to it at some point)

Thanks to Stan’s help the HP Bars are kinda working without crushing the system.

Added an extra link to the OP, below the v1.26 patch, that contains this feature
but it’s still experimental as some of you might not like the result or how it can look.
If you don’t like it, you can revert back to the previous version without HP bars.

After some time has passed I’ll ask whether you want them (the HP bars) in the current state
as a permanent addition.

1 Like

There’s an HP bars toggle in the in-game options

1 Like

Which one?

Options1
Options2
Options3

Subtitle Help

No it doesn’t close/open the HP bars or warnings.
Actually tried all options. None works.

It should be titled HP bars but I’ve noticed the toggle doesn’t actually function anymore.
FE8_hack-0

Oh, I see.

SOS. We need a Wizard !
(Or was it intentionally removed?)

It being called HP Bars is just a question of changing text ID 0x94.

Other than that, I don’t know if it was removed or not, if it was I don’t think it should have/it was on purpose, since the installer still mentions it.