“As time went on, it became increasingly obvious that things like skills just weren’t going to happen…”
”It wouldn’t be FE4 without those definitive features.”
Romhackers since the beginning of time have attempted to port FE4 to the GBA engine, trying to bring the tale of the Holy Knight to a wider audience where mainline has failed to do so, 12 years have passed, the year is 2023.
This is Project Baldr, the seventh attempt, ever.
Q: What is this?
A: This is an FE8 hack remaking Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War with the purpose of delivering the unique features of FE4 while also bringing fresh and new elements for both old and new players.
Q: Features, do you have them?
A: You could say I do.
- a Skill System containing the original skills from FE4 in their most pure form like Pursuit, Accost, Nihil but also including brand new skills that will provide new tools for combat
- Custom Animations for the playable characters representing their appearance in combat quite faithfully, take a look at Alec’s turban.
- Gaiden Chapters, experience brand new chapters in FE4’s story, taking control of those outside Sigurd’s reach.
- My Castle, take part in all sorts of activities in it, have your units fight in the Arena gauntlet, buy weapons and items, determine your unit’s romantic future, promote them, fix your equipment.
- Various FE4 features make a return, villages are quite durable now, but don’t get cocky! Keep in mind your unit’s speed and the weight of their weapon, use the anima triangle to your advantage, Holy Blood shall boost your unit’s weapon rank and growths, perhaps they’ll serve a greater purpose in the future…
- GBA Advantages, use the rescue and drop commands to keep your infantry afloat, trade items between lovers and long time friends (A Support only)
- Faction Palettes, every army shall sport brand new colors while they engage you in combat.
- New story elements, try using specific units against bosses, you may come across some surprises, perhaps even more changes along the way.
Perhaps you need more images, I shall provide you such luxury.
Q: What are your plans, smart guy?
A: Have both generations in one rom, complete with all of the features mentioned, perhaps even more in the future.
Q: Well, who helped? Who did this? Thief!
A: Of course, have some credits.
Here’s the Portrait progress sheet, If you want, You can help by submitting any characters that don’t have a Mugshot!
The Portrait Sheet marks each character with a respective color representing the artists that worked on said character.
We would like to of course credit those who made previous portraits for FE4A, as they’ve been very kind in lending us their old work, We would also like to credit the various resources from the repo such as
Jey the Count
Sword of Heaven and Earth
Its Just Jay
I would like to dedicate this section for those who decided to help me on this journey, Including
Matthieu for being one of my greatest partners during this journey, they helped a lot with class ideas, faction palettes, portraits and overrall being very supportive and there when I needed them the most, this wouldn’t be possible without them.
Sterling_Glovner for some portraits and the full realization of the Sigurd animation by Mage Knight 404 created originally for FE4A! He makes dreams come true.
Toa Cazo and Andora for being quite the fun guys to be around and creating various animations for the characters.
Gustabo for helping develop some minor characters and give them a more interesting story.
REALxViPerZ for creating various tracks from the original game in a unique GBA format, he is sure to make the ambience feel lively.
Leo_link for creating stills of the Gen 1 cast that perfectly resembled the characters in battle, we couldn’t have done the animations without his blueprints.
Melia for creating the Gen 2 Characters! Her work was first done for Jugdral Saga by Sato1999 and they’ll show up here as well!
Goldblitzx for suggesting QoL fixes and creating a funny fellow.
Retina for being a very helpful and patient person, some of the problems along the way wouldn’t have been fixed without him.
Nih for being very positive and creating some portraits!
serif for bringing fresh ideas to the table and designing a very important character, should you check out her project? Nah.
Renoud for being a very attentive playtester, helping fix problems that we couldn’t notice before!
LordLouie for helping in the Character and Boss palettes, the making of the trailer and some writing! May he rest in peace, we miss you.
Contro for developing features once thought impossible and suggesting fixes to keep us on track, we can’t be random over here.
ZeroKnyght for creating some of the best renditions of the FE4 cast, he is quite the valuable knight.
Gascon-en-exil for his FE4 dialogue videos and writing in order to improve upon the existing characters
Blademaster for being a supportive Jugdral pal, helping create various systems like the Anima triangle and Arena and sharing ideas for our remakes, our empire shall grow stronger…
Circles for creating the skillsystem, GBA Skills wouldn’t be possible without him!
SubwayBossEmmet made the statscreen! Go dancing!
Aethin for helping preserve various old hacking materials that are now finally used here.
Xetetic for recording the first FEE3 showcase!
Scraiza for creating various features perfectly.
Arch for being the creator of FE4A, being the first attempt of many at trying to bring Sigurd’s story to the GBA! His legacy shall be fulfilled.
Obviously we can’t forget those still around, I wish good luck and the best to SquareRootOfPi with FEIV and Axelloid with his combined LT remake! May we reign!
I wish for these dear friends of mine to continue on with me until the end
Q: Great, what am I supposed to do about it?
You could wait, who knows, perhaps a patch is in your way, or not, rororo.
Feel free to check out the FEE3 Showcase!