[FE8] Fire Emblem: Project Baldr/Seasonal FE4 Remake

“B-but… Why?”
“As time went on, it became increasingly obvious that things like skills just weren’t going to happen…”
”It wouldn’t be FE4 without those definitive features.”
Romhackers since the beginning of time have attempted to port FE4 to the GBA engine, trying to bring the tale of the Holy Knight to a wider audience where mainline has failed to do so, 12 years have passed, the year is 2023.

This is Project Baldr, the seventh attempt, ever.

Q: What is this?

A: This is an FE8 hack remaking Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War with the purpose of delivering the unique features of FE4 while also bringing fresh and new elements for both old and new players.

Q: Features, do you have them?

A: You could say I do.

• a Skill System containing the original skills from FE4 in their most pure form like Pursuit, Accost, Nihil but also including brand new skills that will provide new tools for combat

• Custom Animations for the playable characters representing their appearance in combat quite faithfully, take a look at Alec’s turban.
  • Gaiden Chapters, experience brand new chapters in FE4’s story, taking control of those outside Sigurd’s reach.
  • My Castle, take part in all sorts of activities in it, have your units fight in the Arena gauntlet, buy weapons and items, determine your unit’s romantic future, promote them, fix your equipment.

• Various FE4 features make a return, villages are quite durable now, but don’t get cocky! Keep in mind your unit’s speed and the weight of their weapon, use the anima triangle to your advantage, Holy Blood shall boost your unit’s weapon rank and growths, perhaps they’ll serve a greater purpose in the future…
  • GBA Advantages, use the rescue and drop commands to keep your infantry afloat, trade items between lovers and long time friends (A Support only)
  • Faction Palettes, every army shall sport brand new colors while they engage you in combat.
  • New story elements, try using specific units against bosses, you may come across some surprises, perhaps even more changes along the way.

Perhaps you need more images, I shall provide you such luxury.

Q: What are your plans, smart guy?

A: Have both generations in one rom, complete with all of the features mentioned, perhaps even more in the future.

Q: Well, who helped? Who did this? Thief!

A: Of course, have some credits.

Resources
Character sheet

Here’s the Portrait progress sheet, If you want, You can help by submitting any characters that don’t have a Mugshot!
The Portrait Sheet marks each character with a respective color representing the artists that worked on said character.

Credits

We would like to of course credit those who made previous portraits for FE4A, as they’ve been very kind in lending us their old work, We would also like to credit the various resources from the repo such as

Animations:

Xenith
Obsidian Daddy
Teraspark
Flasuban
Sme
Lisandra_Brave
FaerieFruit
St jack
Mycahel
Skitty
Eldritch Abomination
Maiser6
Greentea
DerTheVaporeon
RobertFPY
Itranc
Dinar87
Pikmin1211
Pushwall
ZoramineFae
GabrielKnight
Ukelele
SD9k
Temp
Black Mage
Wan
Orihara_Saki
Kebs_Krebs
MeatOfJustice
Peerless
The_Big_Dedester
Beccarte
a3d3
RenOokami
Lord Wolfram
Reyk_Retro0337
Nuramon
Swain
SALVAGED
TheBlindArcher
Jey the Count
knabepicer
Belle
eCut
Spud
HyperGammaSpaces
Iscaneus
Sax Marine
MageKnight404
MakeFEGayer
Jeorge_Reds
ShadowOfChaos
Shtick
Rawr776
SamirPlayz
Mikey Seregon
Alfred Kamon
PrincessKilvas
Blue Druid
Marlon
Feaw
Lord_Tweed
Seal
Sacred War
N426
Jj09
L95
TytheBub
Dolkar
Shin19
SHYUTERz
Aruka
Kenpuhu
Aviv
Levin64
Brendor
Yangfly Master
MrNight48
Red Bean
BladeMaster
Rexacuse

Music repo:

Pikmin1211
Sme
SaXor_the_Nobody
anon98251803 (?)
anon73479828 (?)
MrGreen3339
SurfingKyogre
Dolkar
pandan
Tristan_Hollow
RSFlame
Mycahel
Scraiza
Conlad

Tileset:
ZoramineFae
Apparoid
Peerless
Venno
n426
Wan
Flasuban

Class cards:

Arch
Aruka
CamusZekeSirius
Der
DerTheVaporeon
Eldritch Abomination
Flasuban
Ghast
Huichelaar
HyperGammaSpaces
Jj09
L95
Leif
LeoLink
MeatOfJustice
Melia
Mobile21
Orihara Saki
Pikmin
Pushwall
RobertFPY
SALVAGED
SamirPlayz
Scraiza
Seal
Sword of Heaven and Earth
TBA
Topazlight
VelvetKistune
Yggdra
ZoramineFae

Item Icons:

Beansy
CamTech075
Celice
GabrielKnight
Jubby
Lisandra Brave
Lord Glenn
MisakaMikoto
Nickt
Orihara Saki
Seal
Zelix

Map Sprites:

AnnoyingAnon
ArcherBias
Blood
CirclesEverywhere
Der
Eldritch Abomination
Fates-Blades
FEGirls
Flasuban
Its Just Jay
Jiege
L95
Leif
LeoLink
MeatOfJustice
Mikey Seregon
Nuramon
Pikmin
Pushwall
Rasdel
RobertFPY
Ryn
SALVAGED
Scraiza
SHYUTERz
Skitty
Smug Mug
Topazlight
Tordo45
TLP
TyTheBub
Unknown
Velvetkitsune
WarPath

ASM Credits:

Circles
Pushwall
Serif
Arch
Contro
Retina
Dragz
Huichelaar
Epicer
Vesly
HyperGammaSpaces
AuraWolf
Clendo
Sme
Blademaster
Snek
Pikmin

Special Thanks

I would like to dedicate this section for those who decided to help me on this journey, Including

Matthieu for being one of my greatest partners during this journey, they helped a lot with class ideas, faction palettes, portraits and overrall being very supportive and there when I needed them the most, this wouldn’t be possible without them.

Sterling_Glovner for some portraits and the full realization of the Sigurd animation by Mage Knight 404 created originally for FE4A! He makes dreams come true.

Toa Cazo and Andora for being quite the fun guys to be around and creating various animations for the characters.

Gustabo for helping develop some minor characters and give them a more interesting story.

REALxViPerZ for creating various tracks from the original game in a unique GBA format, he is sure to make the ambience feel lively.

Leo_link for creating stills of the Gen 1 cast that perfectly resembled the characters in battle, we couldn’t have done the animations without his blueprints.

Melia for creating the Gen 2 Characters! Her work was first done for Jugdral Saga by Sato1999 and they’ll show up here as well!

Goldblitzx for suggesting QoL fixes and creating a funny fellow.

Retina for being a very helpful and patient person, some of the problems along the way wouldn’t have been fixed without him.

Nih for being very positive and creating some portraits!

serif for bringing fresh ideas to the table and designing a very important character, should you check out her project? Nah.

Renoud for being a very attentive playtester, helping fix problems that we couldn’t notice before!

LordLouie for helping in the Character and Boss palettes, the making of the trailer and some writing! May he rest in peace, we miss you.

Contro for developing features once thought impossible and suggesting fixes to keep us on track, we can’t be random over here.

ZeroKnyght for creating some of the best renditions of the FE4 cast, he is quite the valuable knight.

Gascon-en-exil for his FE4 dialogue videos and writing in order to improve upon the existing characters

Blademaster for being a supportive Jugdral pal, helping create various systems like the Anima triangle and Arena and sharing ideas for our remakes, our empire shall grow stronger…

Circles for creating the skillsystem, GBA Skills wouldn’t be possible without him!

SubwayBossEmmet made the statscreen! Go dancing!

Aethin for helping preserve various old hacking materials that are now finally used here.

Xetetic for recording the first FEE3 showcase!

Scraiza for creating various features perfectly.

Arch for being the creator of FE4A, being the first attempt of many at trying to bring Sigurd’s story to the GBA! His legacy shall be fulfilled.

Obviously we can’t forget those still around, I wish good luck and the best to SquareRootOfPi with FEIV and Axelloid with his combined LT remake! May we reign!
I wish for these dear friends of mine to continue on with me until the end

Q: Great, what am I supposed to do about it?

You could wait, who knows, perhaps a patch is in your way, or not, rororo. :chipmunk:

Feel free to check out the FEE3 Showcase!

77 Likes

Good luck y’all!

5 Likes

Hello, it’s an honour to partake in this project, thank you Enjin.
Firstly, I wanted to mention that every portrait I did (with my colour on the top-left corner) for the project will be F2U upon release.
How the character sheet works isn’t that complicated, on the top-left corner, you have the colours of the main contributor(s) and on the top-right corner, you have the colours of a more minor contributor (colours edit, adding frames etc…)
Then, we would rather have portraits for characters who don’t have one yet but if anyone wishes to rework a character I already did to improve them, you can, whether it is from scratch or from what I already made, it’s alright. In the latter case, please ask me for the assets.
Now that it has been addressed, I wish you all a wonderful day and hope you’ll have fun experiencing Fire Emblem: Project Baldr.

6 Likes

Good luck!!

3 Likes

I really am looking forward to this release, since the the ideas sound really good to improve upon fe4. Will there be a discord channel?

1 Like

This looks AMAZING!

Best of luck to you guys, this project is gonna be huge.

1 Like

Okay this is hype.

1 Like

why is the wolfguard here :skull: :skull: :skull: vyland moment
nah but seriously this is sick, def lookin forward to your progress

6 Likes

This looks really cool. How far along are you guys?

2 Likes

We have 8 Chapters done (Up to the Eldigan fight of the Original game)

4 Likes

Very cool!

I noticed in the FEE3 vid that Alec died during the arena. Was there a way for him to have left or is it a “fight til the end” sort of experience?

2 Likes

He was supposed to respawn at the bottom left corner, However it seems one of the conditionals failed and checked for Ayra instead, This is fixed of course.

1 Like

Ok, that makes sense

2 Likes

Indeed, The Project has changed a lot since what was shown on the showcase, so its a lot more polished to bring a Good Quality Remake, I’m very happy with the progress and I hope the team and the community continues on with me until the end!

Here’s a little sneak peek, Holyn by Toa Cazo and @Leo_link

18 Likes

I have made a few portraits for this project.
Its pretty based :flushed:

6 Likes

Something I’ve noticed is the name choices which is always interesting to see in these remakes. I’m assuming the names are a personal choice but im still curious if their is a reason behind them?

For example Ulster being called Scathach but Holyn not being called Chulainn, Azel not being spelled Azelle, or Johan and Johalva being called Iuchar and Iucharba

2 Likes

I’ll assume they’re using the Japanese names, since Schátach in Japanese is スカサハ, Chulainn is ホリン, Azelle is アゼル, though Johan and Johalva aren’t named Iuchar and Iucharba in Japanese

NIH outta nowhere
(I dont even think anyone knows me here lmao)

Omg tell me this is still going pls

I’m so hype for FE4 :heart::heart::heart::heart:

If theres need i can help out with sprites, or give critique. This game is forever in my heart so id love to help :heart:

BYYEEEEE

6 Likes

Hello! Yes! This is still going on and soon i’ll make a post detailing an update i’m sure most will be surprised by! (not a release btw)

Sure! I’ll send you a DM

11 Likes

Hello, I’m a player from China. FE4 is the most popular work in China. We are looking forward to your release of this game. Many players in China call FE4 the best flame badge, so we are looking forward to your work.

4 Likes