[FE8] Fire Emblem - Crossover Hack 2.1.0

This proyect stills alive?

1 Like

Considering Mikey said all of these things within only the last few months and heā€™s been working on this project for 6+ yearsā€¦ yeah it probably is. He just has a different development style from other creators.

2 Likes

I guess I should say something about the development of this project.

Depressing text

The project started almost 12 years ago, since then, me and my friends have been working on it. We have started over at least twice in the span of those 12 years just to make improvements in the story, and to use better engines.

The thing is, that we are adults. We have responsabilities and less time to work in side projects, thatā€™s one of the reasons the development has been very slow.

On top of that, the pandemic affected us. I lost my job last year because of that, my friend, who is the main writer, is busy with his master degree, and Atey has personal stuff to deal with too.

This will sound rough, but, this project is not our main priority.
That doesnā€™t mean weā€™ll throw 12 years of work to the garbage, someday weā€™ll finish this project.

In the meantime, sorry for making you wait.

TL;DR:
Personal stuff is slowing down the development.

8 Likes

Hope you get well soon

Great post. I only said 6+ years because I wasnā€™t certain of the exact timeframe, but I was fairly certain I first saw Crossover around 2012. Crazy how itā€™s been well over a decade since you started. Keep at it! I love seeing how the project evolves along with your skills and life advancements!

Alsoā€¦ sucks you lost your job because of covid.

Some progres, yay~
SkillsTest_01
Ch. 9x is done, the first gaiden chapter with simple requirements.
Ch. 9 has a base conversation that gives the hint of how to unlock it.

Iā€™m doing some experimental concepts with this chapter, like having a temporal team that will only appear in this chapter, and multiple endings.
Thereā€™s only one way to lose in this chapter, and that is allowing the enemies to take the gate.

And speaking about a temporal team, I made a simple ASM code to prevent units from trading:
SkillsTest_02 SkillsTest_03

Why?
Because I like to watch the world burn.
Because some players would simply give everything to Ike in the final turn.

And thatā€™s it.
Next update: in 2 monthsā€¦ maybe?

I finally got a job, Iā€™m adjusting my schedule to work in the hack again.
Hopefully I can do some progress more often.

8 Likes

This is the greatest plot twist of 2021. Glad for you, Mikey!

Yay ~ this project still alive ~

1 Like

Facebook reminded me how old this thing is, letā€™s see the cringe.

Anime characters in a hack?
My teen self surely was a freaking weeb.
These two were supposed to be Hannah replacements, but since that mechanic isnā€™t present in FE8, they were cut.
And when the base was added, I decided to put Anna instead, she can be multi-purpose and fits better than random anime characters.

imageSkillsTest.emulator_02
Atey did a excellent job changing my old Lucius splice into a unique character.
imageSkillsTest.emulator_01
And she did the battle animation too.

imageimage
Oh, thatā€™s an scrapped idea.
I was planning to do an Ace Attorney-like event, but it was too complicatedā€¦ a bunch of conditionalsā€¦ that was a nightmare, I donā€™t know what was I thinking.
SkillsTest.emulator_01
The AA characters stayed tho.

CG1
Some CG were cut too, because they didnā€™t make sense in the new storyā€¦

Ohā€¦ memesā€¦
99% of these were cut thank god

Ah yes, I almost forgot this was supposed to be a playable character, but the creator of that character left the project and we replaced that slot with Soleil.
SkillsTest.emulator_02
Gameplay-wise, Soleil was a better option, because the only character that could use lances at that time was Florina (Ephraim joins very late), not to mention that we had an excess of magic units.
Kanningu is still in the hack as a NPC.

Well, I have improved this thing over the last 12 years, and Iā€™m still working on it.
Currently I finished all the world map intros (Up to Ch. 10), and Iā€™m halfway thru Ch. 10 (Iā€™m working on the ending now)
Maybe I can release a demo once I reach the chapter in which the FE7 version was left (8~9 chapters from now)

9 Likes

Minor Update:
The maps up to Ch. 18 are already done because they didnā€™t need any changes.
I have to update the scripts because there are 3 characters that werenā€™t present in the previous version.
Hereā€™s one:
The other two donā€™t have portraits yet, but weā€™re working on that.
And I have to adapt the events from FE7 into FE8.

Thatā€™s all for now.

7 Likes

I am very curious ļ¼ˆā•¹ā—”ā•¹ļ¼‰:heart:

Ch. 10 and 11 are done.

But I have found some issues that I donā€™t know how to fixā€¦
Arena
Spell animations donā€™t load in the Arena, even the native ones (including the arrow animation)

SkillsTest.emulator_01
Thanks to @Tequila this has been fixed.

SkillsTest.emulator_01
The game freezes when trying to use a skill scroll or a stat boost item (which now use the same system as the skill scroll) in the prep screen.
This bug is present in the current Skill System.

Also, I havenā€™t tested all custom animations, but some play a random sound when they miss.

Does someone know how to fix these issues?

2 Likes

Sorry for the long absence, I was dealing with [the virus] for the past couple of weeks and that prevented me from continue working.
Luckily my case was mild, but still it was a painful experienceā€¦
I have no damage in my respiratory system, and Iā€™m fully recovered.
But I also had some unfortunate eventsā€¦ I wonā€™t get into details of that, itā€™s something very personal and Iā€™m still trying to recover from it. I only mention it because itā€™s part of why I was absent, but I wonā€™t talk more about that.

Well, that being said, Ch. 12 was halfway done before all this happened. The map and the script are done, and Iā€™m working on the events.
Also, new character joins the party in this chapter.

I still have some personal stuff to deal with this weekend, Iā€™ll resume working next week.

5 Likes

looks like bernadetta

Hey mikey, no hay nada nuevo desde hace 3 meses Āæestas bien?

Yees he has been updating the game, if you take a look in his 1st post you can notice his been editing the chapters, he has finish some and been working in the next ones. Letā€™s just give him some more time so that when he releases the demo we can experience the game a lot better

2 Likes

Update:
Everything is done up to Ch. 16, Ch. 17 is halfway thru.
Three characters from Three Houses has been added.
We decided to not add the main lords of each house, instead we added a character from each house that either their class is not in the unit pool, or that we could use their personality for supports.

Other changes
Thanks to @Vesly, @Huichelaar, @Pikmin1211, @Teraspark, and @Sme now there are:

• Equippable accesories
    (They either give stat bonuses or give a skill)

• Unlock Staff can open chests

• Steal Staff has benn added
    (The message is from vanilla FE8, it only can steal items and non equipped weapons)

• Again/Refresh Staff, Restore+, Petrify Staff, Enfeeble Staff, Hex Rod, Entrap Staff, Bloom Festal and Sun Festal were added too.
    Again works like in FE12, but its range is Mag/2 instead of the whole map.
    Restore+ works like Restore in 3H, itā€™s range is Mag/2.
    Petrify, Enfeeble, and Hex inflict their respective status on the target.
    Entrap works like in Fates, range Mag/2.
    Bloom/Sun Festal are weak Heal/Mend staves, but they have 1-2 range.

• Items that modify growths when are in the unitā€™s inventory
    (Basically scrolls, and they do stack)

• Stat booster items are now in a single item slot, they use the durability item mechanic. That freed up some item slots to add the staves and other weapons.

• AS formula was changed.
    Instead of [ Spd - (Wt - Con, 0 if negative) ]
    Now it is [ Spd - (Wt - ((Str+Con)/2), 0 if negative) ]

Thatā€™s all for now. See you next year

15 Likes

Oh my, I wonder with who the three chosen students are gonna interact, itā€™s intriguing~

So many new Staves! :smiley: Wow, Iā€™m surprised with all the options added.

Itā€™s always nice to see some new developments from Crossover! I wish you and everyone involved the best!

Another minor update.

Almost everything up to Ch. 17x is already done, Ch. 18 is next.
Scripts need a lot of revision to improve writing and clear some inconsistencies due to the change of story (ex. Sonia was a boss in Ch. 27 [now Ch. 18, filler arc Lynā€™s route was removed], despite being in Bern by the dialogue in the previous chapter)
Also, Ch. 18 is the last one to be imported from the FE7 version, not only the previous hack iteration, but FE7 storyline as a whole.
From Ch. 6 to Ch. 18 there are only 2 new maps, the rest use the same maps as FE7, some are used twice in different chapters. This is done on purpose. In one instance itā€™s because the group is returning from where they started, and in the otherā€¦

Minor spoilers, I guess

Because itā€™s a ā€œwhat the characters are doing while the other chapter happensā€ kind of scenario.

But hey have different goals and ally/enemy placement.

From Ch. 20 onwards new maps will be created, maybe there will be some exceptions, but I want to reuse the least possible from that point.
And yes, I said Ch. 20 because Ch. 12 uses the FE7 boat map, and in Ch. 19 the same boat will be used, but in a slightly different position.

Probably there will be a public beta/demo up to Ch. 20 or 21, Iā€™m not sure yet, but I want some feedback about the difficulty because this is being made with only one difficulty in mind, and the only two people who have played this are quite experienced with FE, so, what they find moderate can be very difficult for others.
Also, in the past I was designing the game around ā€œyou must use a lot of characters and rotate themā€ idea, but since I changed to FE8, Iā€™ve implemented some things that would allow the player to finish a chapter even if they havenā€™t trained certain units that are mandatory but are not forced to be used in each chapter.
But there will be a point in which you wonā€™t have other choice but to use what units are available.
You can think what you want with that statement, I wonā€™t elaborate any further because itā€™s spoiler territory.

Thatā€™s all for today.

Iā€™ll go back to work sporadically on this.

See ya :wave:

Have this random screenshot due to the lack of screenshots of actual progress

SkillsTest_01

7 Likes

Im dieing to play this i cant wait for a release. Id love to play test this