[FE8] Fire Emblem: 7 Siblings [COMPLETE] [LET THE FEAST BEGIN]

I finally got around to playing this demo.

No comments on the story as I do not read.

I first tried playing on hard mode despite the warning, just to see what it was like. I found that chapter 4 seems to be legitimately impossible without RNG rigging, though I didn’t try super hard so maybe there is a way. You probably are already aware of this though.

As for normal mode, my main complaint is that it’s too easy. I’m not sure how much of this is because it’s not hard mode and how much is because it really needs to be changed though. The relative enemy:player strength is way too low and I felt I was given way too many strong prepromotes. I found myself benching a lot of units that I had planned to train earlier simply because I was just getting overloaded with better units.

I will say that the side objectives are consistently pretty difficult to get, and it’s obvious that they were playtested a lot, so good job on that. The issue that arises, however, is that I am not punished hard enough for missing them. I think I probably missed over half of the side objectives in my run and never really felt the pressure of lacking proper weaponry and items. The effort required to get them just wasn’t worth it. For example, in the “break the circle” chapter I skipped all of the chests and ended it as early as I could and still didn’t really feel that the following chapter was so much harder.

Of course this might change once the hack has more chapters, and hard mode, but this is just my current feeling.

I think the map design was generally okay, I just found it easy. The important thing of course is that it wasn’t offensively bad or boring. The enemy placement and pacing itself is likely fine; I suspect that strengthening the enemies would probably be the best boost to the quality of the map design. Anti-turtling incentives are great, but don’t really work if the game lets me miss them constantly without punishment. Again… maybe not things to worry about for normal mode but to keep in mind when designing hard mode.

Anyway, keep up the good work. Just the fact that I was able to play through the whole thing without getting bored or frustrated means you’re doing something right.

2 Likes

Hey Pwn,

Thanks for the feedback and review, it’s much appreciated. Glad it was at least playable enough to finish, even if you found it rather easy.

Hard mode is something I plan to get around to eventually, and will likely be the experience that would be more suited to your playstyle. Even as such, I have worked to make normal a bit more of an even experience, and in the next release hopefully relative player strength, particularly of the prepromotes, will be better. This is valuable feedback though, as I’m always wary of making chapters that, as a designer, are straightforward for me, but are unfair to a blind player. Good to know that I can kick it up a notch without overwhelming players.

On side objectives: I know there are different takes on this, but I’m far more a fan of the carrot than of the stick, to make the experience more accessible. Veteran players know that pretty much every game can be beaten pretty handily while ignoring optional side objectives, and this hack will be no exception. But part of my primary audience for this hack are the siblings in question, who are decidedly not veteran players, so I doubt I will often try to “kill the player with bolting”, as Scraiza likes to say. Point to point survival will likely be harder due to increased enemy quality on HM, but I don’t plan to introduce more “punishing” or “can’t afford to miss” anti-turtles.

That said, I have already tightened up the resource economy significantly for the next update, so that things will be much leaner if players ignore side objectives. I think, in my fear of being unfair, I tend to give the player far too many “freebies” in terms of resources, so to speak. Hopefully, the changes should encourage players to go for side objectives with more fervor, especially as the player accumulates resources, so they don’t feel as if they can just blow them off by the midgame.

Again, thanks for the feedback! Always very much appreciated, and hopefully I can eventually get back to you on a HM that will be more suited to your tastes.

5 Likes

Hey all,

Thought it was time for a more public progress update. I haven’t been able to work on the project as much this summer as I would’ve liked, as I was studying for a big exam, but that’s in the past now. Hopefully, around FEE3 time, I’ll be able to present a new patch with 5 additional chapters.

In addition to the new chapters, some things I’ve been working on include:

tempfile9.emulator2-12
A new title screen!

tempfile9.emulator2-13
UI updates, including new statscreen and narrow font!

tempfile9.emulator2-14
Implementing Tequila’s growths/talk display hack, independent of skill system!

tempfile9.emulator2-15
A custom MMB! Shoutout to Zane for making it user-friendly!

tempfile9.emulator2-16
Over 50 new talk conversations have been added, and that’s just in existing chapters!

tempfile9.emulator2-17
New tilesets and palettes have been added! (Above courtesy of WAve/Peerless/Zoramine/Venno)

Above is just a small sampling of updates, rest assured I’ve been making many other updates to the game as well, in addition to fervently developing and testing the new chapters!

Looking forward to submitting to FEE3, and seeing what everyone else in the community has been up to this past year! This hack wouldn’t be possible without all you folks and the time you put into this hobby, and I’m thankful to be a part of this group in some small way. Until then, stay safe!

16 Likes

Hey all,

The FEE3 showcase is live! Thanks to Pandan for recording with me, and for everyone involved for helping put on this great show! Quick link to the video:

Unfortunately, I do not have the update ready that I’d hoped to release around now. It is well on it’s way though, as 4 out of the 5 new chapters are production-ready, over 50 new talk convos have been added, and multiple balance and graphical tweaks have been made!

Since the new patch isn’t ready, I thought I’d show off something else instead, that being the main reason that the patch has taken longer than anticipated. Over the past two months, I’ve made a concerted effort to improve my spritework, and am drawing close to have replaced every single vanilla recolor/common F2U player mug with something I made on my own! I am not the best artist and am still working to improve, but it has been fun to give these characters some more life, even if it’s as simple as taking a F2U mug and giving it a face I believe to be more fitting for the character!

In the spirit of FEE3, below are all of the mugs I’ve done so far. Critique is always appreciated, and I hope you enjoy!

New Portraits

Arianna
arianna_splice_wip_frames

Scott
wip_scott_splice_frames

Nancy
wip_nancy_splice_mini

Kayla
wip_kayla_splice_mini

Keegan
wip_keegan_splice_mini

Will
wip_will_splice_mini_shorter

Serah
wip_serah_splice_mini

Luke
wip_luke_splice_mini

Kristia
wip_kristia_splice

Weston
wip_weston_splice_mini

Sarah
wip_sarah_splice_mini

Sammy
sammy_splice_wip_mini

Katie
wip_katie_splice_mini

Jeremiah
jeremiah_splice_wip_mini

Michelle
wip_michelle_splice_mini

25 Likes

Good stuff! Looking forward to the release.

1 Like

Suddenly, no more Marisa recolour. :tada:

1 Like

Hi all,

It took 2-3 months longer than I had liked, but the new update is finally here! It includes a wealth of changes, including 5 new chapters (bring the running total to 22), loads of new art, and over 50 new talk conversations! Download link is in the OP, as always.

Some recent screenshots:

tempfile10_working.emulator2-13 tempfile10_working.emulator2-5
tempfile10_working.emulator2-10 tempfile10_working.emulator2-9 tempfile10_working.emulator2-8 tempfile10_working.emulator2-7 !
tempfile10_working.emulator2-11 tempfile10_working.emulator2-14

Other than quick bugfixes, this is probably the last major update before a fully playable release, which I hope to have done around this time next year. Hope you enjoy, and as always, feedback is very welcome!

20 Likes

Damn, if the final release is gonna take that long, I may as well just play this version. I’ll let you know what I think!

1 Like

Ha, I hope to have full gameplay done a good bit before that and plan to enlist some playtesters. But I predict supports and overall polishing will take quite a while.

Hope you enjoy this version though!

2 Likes

@WarPath This game truly got me, Im only at chapter 6 and I am already super satisfied! As in Satisfaction level 110%

1 Like

Thanks to @KrashBoomBang for finding a bug with some map sprites, this has since been fixed. Bugfix patch is uploaded, and if you started playing, you should be able to switch to this new patch with no issue.

3 Likes

Bookmarking this to remind myself to get around to playing this at some point. Got lots to do in the next few days, but I will definitely give this a try. I can tell just from what you’ve shared that a lot of care has gone into this project. Keep up the good work.

1 Like

Hi all, wanted to let you know that I’ve created an Emblemier PatchUp! page with the advent of this new release. I figured it would be useful to those of you who employ its excellent features. Link Below:

I have never created a project on the site before, so please let me know if something isn’t working or looks incorrect. Thanks to HeartHero for creating and maintaining this awesome resource!

2 Likes

After some tribulation, I cleared through the final chapter in the current update, with a handy save state hopefully awaiting the next major update. I’ve got some thoughts I’ll try to keep organized in a handy good/bad dichotomy, though I doubt I’ll have anything overly negative to say

Positive: +objective variety: At not point was I ever told to sieze, amazing. Covering everything from survive X turns to talk to a green unit to escape, the mix up between chapters is refreshing and admirable, helped by
+Encouraged efficient play: While there is a good chunk of turn based reinforcements, the fact that not only is this warned but explained by being at a massive disadvantage against the antagonist, I’m going to call this a major boon, and thats before rewards for fast clears and encouraging rapid blitzing to do the usually thief and bandit counterplay; To put it succinctly, anti-turtle emblem, kudos
+Plot/Characters: I want to gush about both these things, but this is already a long winded post, so simply put, the emphasis on a family of characters and their close friends and allies, further amplified through the narrative and the abundance of talk options, worked surprisingly well and put some twists on a story that feels like staple FE narrative (PS Nancy is incredible as a character, and I only hope the best for her likeness and your family)
+proficiency weapons: good stuff, giving the non-lord characters unique tools to help them further stand out and giving them additional combat utility is good stuff. There are a few improvements, but I will list those later

Improvements (I won’t call these negatives, as they are not faults, but things that can be made better)
-It feels like a slight missed opportunity you didn’t embrace the emphasis on talking by running with the Genealogy angle; Giving mechanical benefits to taking the time to spend a valuable character action by giving a concrete benefit on top of character building hurts a bit. I’d like to see more things like items gifted, or Finn-esque stat benefits for, say, having Joe and Scott talk, or having Will get a bit of Staff experience after teasing Serah in one of their interactions. Admittedly, this is asking for extra on top of what is already a well developed and included mechanic, and there could be some hiccups in doing things like effecting weapon ranks, so this is more a wishlist request
-due to the limits of the rom and the heavy script writing, by my best guess, there is some slight overlap between supports, talks, and mission chatter; from what I noticed, specifically supports seemed to call up dialogue related to mostly mission dialogue. What may fit you design better, if I may make a suggestion, is dropping support conversations, giving the characters up to 3 A ranks, and having Talk generate support points and triggering ranks with the support prompt
-More a missed opportunity then a neg, but the set up is perfect for Scott to get a proficiency weapon from A certain other axe user, only to get a generic (but still useful weapon). It would be a perfect chance for a unique Brave, Ranged, killer, or triangle flipping weapon, especially considering he is likely promoted by that point in the plot as our second lord-type character
-this is a me thing, a pet peeve really, but I’m not too keen on the emphasis on promotes getting horses. It fits in the fast paced nature of each chapter, but my preference for infantry units and the abundance of horseslayers and zanbatos up to through the final chapter slightly gets on my nerves. This is, again, my opinion

Ultimately, I like how this has developed and evolved, and seeing how you have improved and honed in on your voice and goals with this particular hack has been a real treat. I look forward to the 1.0 release with anticipation and wish you good health and good luck

1 Like

This one was for fun, some thoughts on the characters as written and as units:

Nancy: S+, best mom, makes the best chicken ever, a strong character who I felt a lot of grief and sympathy for, but fully capable a taking names and kicking ass when able. A strong pre-promote, with understandable reasons for her shaky bases. I’d love to end her arc healing her and letting her deal with her frustration and grief with an axe to the heart of a certain someone

Sarah: The best of the Est; She was valuable as both a niave, but good natured girl with a lot of potential, and a soaring thunderbolt of salvation. The wyrmpike was basically her weapon of choice once I gave her a body ring, and while she was caught in a few clutch match ups with gladiators and wyverns, she never left the team and carried more then a few maps and help secure some of the tight objectives

Scott: Great character writing, really understood why he struggles with leadership, his feelings, and his relationship with others. Started off sturdy with a useful hatchet, A ranked with Arianna, and tore up battlefields as my team zerker. I threw the gauntlets on him to shore up a shaky defense and skill, but at no point was he a liability. I look forward to seeing where his story ends

Arianna: The co-lord in chief and my archer of choice. I’m not a big fan of her promotion (but thats very subjective and personal), but between her ability to pick off valuable targets as my archer lord, a valuable Proficiency bow that made short work of all but the toughest targets, and a solid skill, speed and luck balance to make her a surprisingly good dodge tank, even if I could drop her, I wouldn’t. Her story still feels somewhat unexplored, but as the strong moral and leader who helped everyone in the party, I like what writing she does have

Kayla:The glue that holds the family and the army together, my best and favorite healer by far. Due to the fast pace and split in experience between multiple healers, she was slow to promote, and as such a bit of a liability for most of the game, it was worth taking her on every mission if just to either help everyone else in the party morale wise, with a lot of talks revealing either her troubles or theirs to try to mend, or putting in the work with enough magic to even make heal staves valuable as far as the last chapter

Kristia: Rushed for the mage ward and never took it off her. She was a bit speed screwed, which was mitigated a bit by the ward, but otherwise surprised me by being as much of a heavy hitter as her brothers, as tanky as scott (especially with Nosferatu), and gradually opening up from being the quiet dark magic girl to showing a lot of depth in her care for her family. Really the only thing is she could use a lighter personal tome to help her early on when she is still prone to being doubled

Rielly: I love Nephnee, so I was already on board with a humble farm girl soldier with the potential to be a solid critical monster. She didn’t quite reach that impossible standard, but she proved valuable, both in her gaiden chapter and as a faster and surprisingly resistant Sammy alternative. Being fast enough to double with javelins was a boon in more then a few chapters, and the variety of lances, including the powerful greatlances, meant even with middling strength, she could put in the work. I would like to see more interactions with her in the future, but her talks with both Nikko and Wade were funny and sweet and at an otherwise tense point in the game

Will:That 40% speed is a real make or break for the young pyromancer. I struggled with the RNG and he only finally cleared double digits after promoting. That, and the more potent tomes weighing him down (and missing the first wind tome by not rushing an early thief fast enough) hurt his potential slightly, but once I was able to stock up on lightning and wind tomes and he finally got more then 10 speed, he held his own well enough. Him gaining staves was also a major boon with how frequently the endgame required splitting into teams to focus on objectives. He is the epitome of the the younger brother to a T, the baby of the family which made me chuckle with how close he reminded me of my own younger siblings, but he wasn’t too much of a burden or too annoying to warrant leaving him out of the team (plus I felt compelled to use all Seven Siblings, for obvious reasons)

Andrew: His arrival was clutch, adding more magic power to help hit otherwise tough targets, and his writing wasn’t bad, as Joe did earn a bit of admiration even from me, but choosing him or either of the sibling mages, unfortunately, he hit the bench before he really had a chance to prove his worth, and I prefered Wade as both a character and a unit. Still, not bad, he just came in right before the party got to big to include him and he lacked a mechanical or character edge to warrant keeping him onboard

Brandon: The horse lance to finish to the triangle, and Katie’s lordly beau, he was clutch in rushing his Gaiden to meet the timer, and his personal lance was pretty valuable in horse heavy chapters, but his tendency to antagonize both Ryan and Scott was enough to only want to use him as needed. I don’t think that needs to change though, considering both his loses as a captain, and position as a noble with less outside perspective. He earned his place well enough, but I personally preferred other characters in tight 12 party missions

Katie: Two full Rapiers ensured she could break near any line, and being the fastest and most skilled unit by a pretty big margin, on top of being a lighthearted, romantic sort on top of her knightly stature, did a lot to carry her up through promotion, but then Michelle made an absurd comeback and she went from duelist to sword paladin and I benched her. In future chapters where I will need a larger team to finish objectives, or have to run to target priority enemies, she and her sweetheart will likely hit the battlefield running though

Keegan: My thief of choice and a surprisingly valuable combat unit on top of his utility, I enjoyed having Keegan around, as much for his writing as his abilities. He feels like that antagonistic relative whose a bit of the prodigal son, but by apologizing and growing as a character with a bit of humor and humilty, as well as being clutch with his dagger, he was much needed spice to round things out. His thief skills felt a tad underutilized, and I would prefer to give him rogue skill to free up space for useful swords come late game, but the ability to pick off targets as a second archer and potential to crit (especially with support from will) proved a fair trade

Luke: A bit slower and prone to getting magicked into dangerous lows compared to Scott, Luke still earned his keep by both having good interactions with Serah and being a valuable wall of hp dishing out massive axe swings. He struck a nice balance between Scott, Ryan, and Weston/Brandon, and I frequently gave him a variety of utility axes so he could assist on blitz missions to break lines, target thieves, and hold chokepoints. Plus I always love twin bickering, especially the 5 minutes older bit

Michelle: Possibly the ultimate comeback unit. She was invaluable early game, especially with her Sai, but I had to bench her for a bit to get the who family together, but on missions where I needed a bigger team to take on multiple points of interest, and I was able to supplement her kit with a killing edge, well she surprised be enough to bounce back from lagging on the bench to quickly catching up with mostly promoted characters. She was a bit of an axe magnet for some reason, and her writing felt a little underwhelming (I honestly thought she would talk to Nike at some point), but she surprised me enough to earn her spot from here on out

Sammy: unbreakable and unflappable, she only needed one good eye to get her revenge and prove her keep. Side by side with Luke as an unbreakable wall, she also proved invaluable especially with an axebreaker and a horseslayer to cover her weaknesses. She wasn’t as tough as Nikko when he showed up, but her better balance in stats and her triangle coverage with lances alongside reilly and Katie, plus her balanced professionalism alongside arianna, really clenched her value to the team

Weston: I feel bad, as I could honestly rank him higher if not for the fact his niche was covered by both Katie and Luke. He helped carry with Scott early game, even going toe to toe with the wyverns so Scott could save Joe, but between Katie being a faster swordfighter with a great personal weapon, and Luke being a sturdy sibling, he unfortunately hit the bench; Apparently I missed a useful personal weapon for him as a result, so on a new fresh run, he will likely stay on the team throughout mid to end game at the least, especially with his dynamic with Katie

Joe: A great father figure who kept Nancy safe and a great leader to everyone under his old command, He is a great jeigan, and I appreciate he had a useful bow to both pick off targets and funnel the AI into targetting him on more then one chapter. Scott had, of course, caught up to him when he finally joined up, but passing the torch and giving Arianna her incredibly bow meant that while as a unit he was already past his prime, as a charcter he was the bedrock of the Army

Johann: I want to use Johann more; Coming in with huge Strength and the ability to smash Generals with just enough speed to avoid doubles, I loaded her(?) down with the static stat boosters in the finally chapter so they had a chance to catch up with the rest of the team, and I was not disappointed with the result, even with their growths. I would like to see some more talks hopefully in future releases, but as a potential replacement to Nancy, they almost reach those impossible heights

Kjetil: I think his design, class, and sword do more for him then his bases and level. As one of three est-types coming in with little room to grow, a tight team, and some liability if not carefully trained in a game without too much time to lure and weaken to help train, he will have a hard time earning his keep. I want to see if he’s the hero he can be, that he aspires to be, but it’ll be an uphill battle for sure, especially alongside Johann

Nike: The palette, the grimace, the back to the camera… the edge is so sharp it can even slice the unsliceable. He had more depth then his appearance belies, the bravado dropping occasionally, but as an armor slicing demon swordsman who was in dire need of a killing edge, he was a nice alternative to michelle and invaluable on the larger team ops

Nikko: A man of few words and a very specific role, he only suffered by both having more interesting characters around and before him. Had my Sammy not turned out a well balanced and valuable general, and Luke not been the second axe alongside Scott where there weren’t enough utility axes for three, he really needed a bit more to him to help, even as useful as he was

Ryan: I like his character a lot more then his abilities, as a headstrong charismatic sort with clear goals (he reminds me of an even more extreme Ephraim, for obvious reasons), but only having 9 speed and being vulnerable to everything but bows (including armor/horse slaying and magic), he really had a tough time doing more then leading the charge with a big hit, or putting in a finishing blow to plug holes in the defensive line. If his abilities or character develop further, perhaps cooling his head to be a more collected leader to his men, or getting a monster of a lance to make him and better analogue with Brandon, he’ll continue to earn his place

Serah: The exp split was ultimately what hurt her; without the advantage of Kayla’s multi-chapter headstart, she really leaned on being a fast, resistant flying trabadour to carry her to the end game. When she did finally promote, she was a much needed light mage to further balance to weapon triangle, but due to middling magic, her role was still mostly keeping up with Luke and keeping him safe, fitting for their dynamic

Alex: he got in a few clutch hits, especially against reinforcement paladins, but being one of three ests and another lance wielding horseman, I unfortunately benched him

Ariel: A sniping thief with a magic bow sounds invaluable, but as a second assasin and archer when I didn’t need either hurt her viability a bit. Still, she was useful in stealing from various thieves and securing treasure and a few choice kills

Cale: I love his character, boisterous to the point of absurd, and perhaps a slight mentor to Scott, his stats and Scott already being the superior Zerker hurt his viabilty in a team stacked with useful axe units. Still, his mission and character writing are great, and his talks are liable to be hilarious

Emily: Noble and strong, and a solid pre-promote, sadly I had already commited to the mage siblings with no room to spare

Jeremiah: I suspect he and michelle would have great synergy, and being a wyvern he would be a flying tank who only needs to avoid wind magic and bows, but he was grounded to keep the siblings together

Jordan: I only had so many dark tomes to spare, and Kristia was already irreplaceable. I suspect his knowledge relating to the plot could have a lot of value; Perhaps he and Ariel could have a Gaiden chapter to help with their viability and further develop the Magus plot?

Shelton: Even with a personal bow (potentially), Arianna was literally irreplaceable. If he could be reworked to have more of a niche (more defensive stats? Infantry status with a crit bonus?), he could prove invaluable. A shame, as he and Weston both seem viable

Wade: His mustache and character are endlessly amusing, and being another healer on a tense mission was vital, but I took his stat item and had to bench him to keep Kayla and Serah on the exp curve to keep up

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the feedback and unit review! I’m glad you had a good time, I hope I can give you a satisfying conclusion in the future.

I’m glad you appreciated the talk convos. They took quite a long time to write, and I was a bit worried that players would be too busy with gameplay to bother getting them. But I’m glad they have at least one fan.

One note on “supports”: There are currently no support convos in-game, and activating supports just gives you a random line of dialogue from elsewhere in the game. I can understand how this would be confusing. So for now, ignore the convo that triggers. I hope to eventually get supports into the game.

5 Likes

Hey all, another quick update. Thanks to @Pushwall for finding several more bugs. One of them is potentially pretty damaging, so I’ve uploaded a new patch with the bugfixes. Feel free to switch over to this patch if you are already playing, as I don’t think it should mess with your save.

Additionally, Pushwall graciously made some boss palettes for the baddies of 7S, as well as made a few player palettes for units who lack them. They are also in this new patch. Thanks to Pushwall, and enjoy!

Edit: Forgot to mention that new patch also includes blank text for all support convos, as a random convo triggering seemed to confuse most people. Supports should now just be gained with no convo whatsoever.

9 Likes

Played a bit of the latest patch. Early game still suffers from “discover the one solution” syndrome, making it infuriatingly hard to keep everyone alive and visit all the villages.

Also why was the javelin nerfed? It’s heavier and weaker with no upside. Only -1 mt and +1 wt, but still.

Also why was the javelin nerfed? It’s heavier and weaker with no upside. Only -1 mt and +1 wt, but still.

Most people nerf javelins and handaxes because when they’re strong, they promote uninteresting gameplay where the optimal strategy is to just dump a unit anywhere in the middle of a map with one and destroy everything on enemy phase.

I’m sorry to hear you found the earlygame “infuriating”. If you are having trouble, I’d recommend, once again, that you cut bait on side objectives, as they are optional. The game is perfectly playable when missing some loot here and there, and anti-turtles are there to stay. The earlygame has gone through a couple of revamps, and I have no plans to retool it again in the near future. However, if you have specific qualms or recommendations, fee free to share.

Citrus largely hit on 1-2 range; my goal is to make it more situationally useful as opposed to what is presented in vanilla. I’m currently reasonably satisfied with how the commonly-available 1-2 range weapons function in the hack - useful for chip on occasion/more usable by certain units.

1 Like