[FE8] Fire Emblem: 7 Siblings [COMPLETE] [LET THE FEAST BEGIN]

Where’d you get that UI? Is it free to use?

I made it using HyperGammaSpace’s Tale of Ternon UI as a starting point, with his permission.

I plan to make everything in the hack formally F2U eventually, but I haven’t gotten around to formatting and organizing everything yet. That may not happen for a bit, so if you’d like to use something in particular, shoot me a DM and I can give you what you need.

Alright I’ve got a problem with 1.1. I crash right after I get the gauntlets at 9x. I don’t really want to reset my save back to square one either.

Hello, I’m sorry you’ve encountered this. I’ve seen this bug once before, and it came from a save file being corrupted before this point and that causing a problem here, not anything in particular at this point. So I’m unsure what caused this in the first place if it is indeed the same thing.

If you’d like to send me your save file, I can try to manually move you past this point and preserve your save, and then I can send it back to you after having advanced it to Ch. 10.

Hey all, a new update, version 1.6, has been released. Changes here include:

• Tweaks to enemy placement including enemy position, weapon loadout, and reinforcement timing. Specifically, some effective weaponry has been changed or moved around to help open up your options on a couple of maps while still being threatening.
  • Various minor tweaks to player units for balance.
  • Brave weapons were given a minor uses buff.

Download link is in the opening post as always.

6 Likes

Hey, I just wanted to thank you for this beautiful game, I still haven’t finished, but i’ve been having a blast so far, specially with how lovely the characters interactions are. I’m usually very critical of story, characters and plot, which, to me, is often the Achilles heel of the vast majority of hacks, and your game was a very welcomed surprise in those regards, I’m super invested on the characters and in many moments they truly hit me very hard on the feels.
I just read the backstory of your process making the game and I was so moved that I couldn’t refrain from crying, the way you translated your own family story it’s really amazing, to me it’s absolutely wonderful and inspiring, thank you so much for sharing your story in such way, I wish for you and your family nothing but the best in life, health and happiness, and thank you again for this, it truly moved me beyond any other experience with fe hacks I’ve had.

4 Likes

Thank you for the kind words and well wishes, and I’m glad you’re enjoying the story! I hope it does not disappoint as you continue to play.

1 Like

This game was great, really enjoyed it. Used all 7 siblings and the mother sometimes… but great game. If there is a sequel, i’d totally play it

1 Like

I’m glad you enjoyed it! There are currently no plans for a sequel, but I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t tossed the idea around in my head.

2 Likes

The reason i mentioned, “sequel” is because of the end scene. But no rush on that. Thanks for a great game

Could you give some hints how to get prf weapons? Because I miss some of them when I completed the game. I wanted collect them :laughing:. And the game was great! I’m really enjoyed it!

There are a few that are missable. Here’s a list on where to get personal weapons that aren’t obtained automatically.

Missable Personal Weapons (Spoiler)

Homyrius (Brandon): Complete Ch. 10 with at least one of the green units alive
Gold Edge (Katie): Have Brandon and Katie talk in Ch. 11
Brother Sword (Weston) and Brother Bow (Shelton): Have Weston and Shelton talk in Ch. 14
Falcon Blade (Kjetil): Have Kjetil visit the inn on which he spawns in Ch. 16

Any other personal weapon not on this list should be obtained automatically.

2 Likes

I’m very impressed. Wonderful Fire emblem. THank you :smile:

1 Like

Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for sharing! Always cool to see someone else make it to the end of the game.

1 Like

Finished the hack and I thouroughly enjoyed both the challenge and the narrative. I used all seven siblings and did almost every talk conversation and I enjoyed every character even the ones I didnt use. I am touched by your ability to use a personal experience and let that create a story you could share. I do want to ask a few questions concerning gameplay and the secret unit in the final map

Secret Unit and Chapter 19

Was the secret unit suppossed to be a green unit the entire map or did I do something wrong. I did all the talks and left in the relevant chapter but they were still green.

Concerning Chapter 19 I was wondering if you had ever thought to add something special if you spare the bosses specifically Markel. I used the Krisitia summons to kite him and finish the map without killing him but it was a little dissappointing of all the units implying he is dead. Maybe a secondary legendary spear or tome for sparing markel and gil? Just a thought.

If you ever were to add supports I would gladly read them for characters I am interested in. I think you could add some good supports with meredith and stephen you unlock after the game ends. Other than that I would love some for the siblings but i understand resting on your laurels

Anyway I hope the real Nancy is doing well and is feeling better. I enjoyed having her kick ass throughout the entire game even if she was a bit squishy

If you are interested I will make a imgur album of how my units ended up but again thank you and god bless.

1 Like
Secret Unit

To get him, you must get all the talks and also defeat him in that chapter.

1 Like

Hello! I am glad you enjoyed the experience, and I thank you for the kind words. My mom is doing okay as of now, with no substantial changes for the better or worse, and she is sure to appreciate the well wishes.

To address your spoilered comments

The response by knapepicer is accurate with regards to Kenneth. He will turn blue in the endgame if you talk to him with all 7 siblings in Ch. 19xx, and then defeat him to end the chapter. I realize this may seem counter-intuitive, and in contrast to most other things in the game, the hints to prompt you to follow this course of action are cryptic at best. But recruiting Kenneth is meant to be the game’s biggest secret, and only results from taking a course of action where the siblings try to do the right thing both by trying to talk, but then also doing what needs to be done.

Regarding Ch. 19, I have indeed considered some conditional dialogue for each of these bosses, as it’s conceivable than any one of them can be left alive on the map while completing the chapter. But the narrative string between all three bosses in Ch. 19 is that while each fights for very different reasons (Markel out of loyalty, Gil out of anger, and Colt out of bloodlust and conquest), they are not going to back down and would have fought to the death, and this can be the assumed outcome even if the player does not defeat them on the map. Gameplay-wise, the chapter is not designed around trying to keep them alive, so I additionally wouldn’t want to encourage that.

Supports may have a chance at being written now since I am nearly done writing my dissertation and am moving to mostly editing and revision at this stage, but the next chapter of my life is still in the works, so I can’t fully guarantee that I’ll have the time and energy to dedicate to supports anytime soon. They are on my mind though, and are still a possibility.

Feel free to post your units, either on Imgur or just in the thread! It is always fun to see which units others chose to use and how they turned out. But I do realize it can be a bit of a chore to collect screenshots, so do not feel obligated in any way to present them.

1 Like

Hiya @WarPath! I actually am making an account here just to thank you for this game. This is the first FE fangame I’ve ever finished, and I have to admit, it’s been a really fun time!

A few things I really loved:

• The story (more on that in spoiler tags later)
  • The thing with all the characters running across the screen under chapter titles
  • The map design/objectives
  • The character portraits (especially for secondary characters like bosses/NPCs)
  • Bringing back the FE7-style “shopping spree gaiden chapter”

As for difficulty, I played on Easy because I wanted cheap pleasure and because I’m not that good at Fire Emblem. And… well, Easy mode was still a pretty solid challenge. Probably harder than Sacred Stones Hard Mode. I had to reset for fallen units a lot. I wound up relying on save states throughout the lategame. But I never felt like I was being unfairly punished. And the chapter goals themselves were easy enough to achieve. As far as progression goes, I never felt like there was a particularly large jump in difficulty, so it was pretty smooth that way as well.

If I have any criticism on the gameplay side of things, it’s that I feel like there was almost too much weapon diversity among the enemies. I had to spend a lot of time checking every enemy to see what effective weapons they had. And then re-checking later, because there would be so many reaver/slayer/killer weapons that I couldn’t keep track of them all in my head. The use of the warning function helped mitigate this a lot, but I still spent more time studying enemy inventories than I usually prefer to. Additionally, a lot of generic enemies would have two or even three weapons, which… seemed excessive. But aside from that, I have no complaints about the game.

Story Opinions (Spoilers)

Now for the story… when I saw the name of this hack, my first thought was “Homeschooler Emblem.” And considering you ended the game by quoting from a Certain Sacred Text, I think that first impression might not have been too far off. But I rather enjoyed that. Being one of six siblings myself, I feel like you captured the “large family” concept quite well. And you did an excellent job of making family a recurring theme, fitting it into everything from talk conversations to the main villains backstory.

The place that the familial motif kicked in the most strongly for me was with Kenneth. My own dad is a great guy, but he’s been… not so great in the past, and I feel like you handled the relationship between well-intentioned children and a wayward parent so well. It felt extremely relatable in a way that no fangame ever has for me before.

The plot itself was easy to follow. And the writing was fabulous. I’m a proofreader by trade, and I don’t recall seeing any typos! (That’s pretty darn rare for me.) I really liked having Scott as something of a comic relief lord throughout the game. There were so many talk conversations that supports weren’t particularly missed, although it definitely felt weird having the support mechanic without a conversation to accompany it. But yeah, an A+ job all around. I can confidently give you the SullyMcGully Award for Most Wholesome Fire Emblem Game!

Thanks again to you and to everyone who helped you create this experience. I truly enjoyed it.

2 Likes

Hello! It’s an honor that you made an account to post this, and welcome to FEU!

Firstly, I’m glad you enjoyed the game! I’m glad Easy was still an engaging experience. It was the least-tested mode before release, so I’m glad that the map design still shines through despite weaker enemies. The weapon critique is a fair one, as it puts a lot more load on the a player’s brain than it ever can for me as the creator who placed the weapon there. Revisions have dialed this back a bit as time has gone on.

Response to your spoilered story comments

I’m glad you enjoyed the story, and it’s honestly really cool to see that someone else related to it on a more personal level. The sibling dialogue and dynamics were really fun to write, and I have to credit the “source material” for helping it seem authentic. Nancy was also probably my favorite character to write in the entire game since she’s lived a lot of life and is in a position to provide “creator-like” insight to others; Fire Emblem needs to seriously consider keeping more parents around!

Big families are a topic you don’t see explored too much in fiction, I feel, so it’s cool that this game can serve to help fill that niche. As an aside, we weren’t homeschooled, but I will confirm that your initial impression was probably not too far off.

Kenneth was really hard to write at times, and also obviously deviated from said source material more than others, but I’m glad that you think I handled a weighty character/topic in at least a fairly respectful and reasonable way. I was worried that I perhaps was too fantastical in my treatment of the topic, but hopefully the grounding from… well, having been there shines through. My dad is a broken man, and unfortunately still is, as is reflected by the not-so-tidy ending and the siblings still feeling like there wasn’t truly a resolution on that front. But in addition to family, one of the bigger themes of the story is redemption and forgiveness, particularly as being inspired by that Certain Sacred Text quoted at the end. So I aimed to end on a sobering and realistic, but still hopeful, tone.

Glad you didn’t find many typos! The kudos more so goes to the many dedicated playtesters for that. I wish I had all of those playtesters to help as I currently am editing and revising my lengthy PhD thesis!

Once again, I’m glad you were able to enjoy the game, and thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

1 Like

Nearly finished with the game, and I’m absolutely loving it. The presentation is incredibly polished, and I found myself really enjoying the story and dialogue. Often with Rom Hacks, I’ll enjoy the general trend of the story while the character interactions often leave a bit to be desired. Absolutely not the case here: the characters felt compelling even without supports (a difficult feat indeed!) and I appreciate the unique theming of a big family coming together in contrast to the usual “lone wolf” lord that characterizes the tropes within Fire Emblem’s writing.
Playing on hard, I found the game to be a rather fun (if sometimes frustrating) challenge. I think most of the characters have something going for them in terms of viability. A certain character might have good bases or growths, have a useful property like flying or stealing, or just a neat personal weapon. Definitely feels like with every archetype, there are multiple options you have to make things work. Even with the units I benched, it never felt like a clear-cut “this unit sucks”. For example, Kristia’s 10% speed growth and 5 base speed seems so awful that I chose to go with the much faster Jordan instead. However, I later learned that Kristia can become a Summoner, which is huge utility and makes her an actually viable option. Same thing with Serah, whose base 2 magic and 35% growth sucks but she’s also the only flying healer that you get, or with Joe whose rather middling stats and pathetic growths are brought up by a strong 2-3 range personal.
My point is, everything about this hack is amazing, and I strongly congratulate everyone who helped make it as awesome as it is today.

1 Like