[FE8] [COMPLETE] Iron Emblem (v1.3.1, Full-Length) RR Out!

Hey what is the fire emblem game/ROm to patch it to? Normal fe8 not working :C

Should work with the US version of FE8. Make sure you are patching a clean ROM.

I downloaded fe8 rom but NUPS keep saying patch doesnt match file even tho its the right one i believe

Wait i got it to work with something different thanks!

Link in the OP has been updated with the 1.1 version of the game, which generally improves and enhances many aspects across the entire game and removes a couple big bugs. Have fun and let me know if thereā€™s any issues I missed!

4 Likes

Only gotten to chapter 5. But this is a pretty awesome hack. Iā€™m usually one to reset a lot and savestate on chapters with FoW or high crit on bosses and whatnot. Itā€™s like the first hack that has actually forced me to build contingency plans upon contingency plans if I miss an attack.

2 Likes

It took me some time to work up the courage to do a full run of Iron Emblem, because I am afraid of my decisions actually mattering.
It is good.

Writing

Yes.

Maps

The maps are fairly straightforward and formulaic, usually the same combination of chest/village side objective or Death reinforcements and plenty of room to split, but it is designed quite well and I have not much to complain about.

I did think 12 felt like a big jump in difficulty that would easily wipe out even a trained party much less my own shoddy one, which I barely managed to get through with plenty of silence/armour abuse. Other than that, difficulty remains consistent throughout the hack, and I never was able to get units to truly steamroll and enemies remained a threat.

Chapter 11 is a bit weird as the fliers seem to have the ignore attack on the sword master but not ignore move towards so they just end up surrounding him awkwardly.

Admittedly Iā€™ve played few endgames, but this is a good one. I liked the combination of defend + rushing the boss allowing the player to make use of all 16 units (And I needed every last one them!). However, the bottom right section where the assassin spawns can be choked by a single unit, which then stops the assassin from moving at all, which is a bit odd. I also think enemies rush too fast are after the initial 2 waves the rest of the endgame becomes cleaning up too little. Shoutout for NOT having a boss that caps stats and takes 30 turns to kill, more people should do this.

Characters

Stats and growths in iron emblem are noticeably deflated overall, being based off the earlier games. Units that gained extremely little stats could still contribute many chapters after their join time, which was very important when you lose units at the speed I do. Playing this has made me a fan of deflation.

I thought the unit balanced seemed pretty good, armours are fantastic but can still be shredded by a poor weapon match up, mounts are bulky but have poor damage output, Magic units hit hard but get obliterated.

The speed of my unit rotation means I have used a lot for the cast especially prepromotes, and I found that there were few units I wrote off off the bat. Prepromote stats I found to be marginally worse than the trained units.

Funny thing I noticed is that enemy fighters gain around 2 speed in 10 chapters yet donā€™t become any less threatening.

Iron man friendliness

I really enjoyed how iron man friendly the hack is. I played fairly poorly losing most units I tried to train in the early game (rip Mage Corps, rip Intel Corps) and even some of tge units Iā€™ve trained for over 10 chapters (rip Pro Corps, Rip Medic Corps) but the game always gave me enough units, with serviceable stats, to get through every chapter without having to cripple my army.

Missing side objectives means my wallet is a bit tight, but not low enough for me to not splurge on silver weapons though I couldnā€™t afford the ballista.

Well that turned out well.
Iron Emblem-27

Doesnā€™t seem all that special, but this is the stats of another unit I brought to endgame.
Iron Emblem-17

Conclusion: I felt that this hack which took under a month is more fun than mainline series and hacks which have taken years. Good work Relic.

13 Likes

Had a fun time playing through the whole thing so I thought Iā€™d give my thoughts.

Long story short I had quite a bit of fun. As someone who usually never has any unit stay dead and a bad habit from laziness of rewinding one bit too often, it was quite interesting to try and break those bad habits.

Writing wise there isnā€™t much to talk about, but I like that itā€™s clear from village dialogue that neither side of the conflict are anywhere near perfect.

Gameplay-wise, Iā€™ve played relic shack so I knew generally what to expect tbf lol. I do think maps could be a little simple but I understand the need to keep them mostly that way considering the iron-man qualities.

Now for a couple oddities. I noticed the killer bow seems to have its original price and similar with the filli shield. Though in the latterā€™s case thereā€™s actually an interesting trade off to be made with selling it vs having as much silvers and reavers as you desire for the last few chapters so it may have been intentional? Idk but either way it became a fun choice.

As for outright complaints, I think the hit rates near the end of the game got a bit low for my tastes getting much more often into the 70s, with the thieves and similar in endgame being a particular annoyance. Though tbf, those are not dangerous so much as annoying, though in the endgame early turns were so important that it was dangerous.

My other main complaint was endgame felt like it had a tad too many enemies. Things worked out eventually cause past turn 6 or something thereā€™s 0 reinforcements as you walk on over, though that almost makes me feel like I either played the map a bit wrong or maybe the reinforcements accidently were already there initially? Either way itā€™s still a cool endgame for the most part past that.

All in all though good hack but looking forward to whatever youā€™re working on next.

Tl;dr Had fun but a few issues near the end. Specifically some lower hit rates then expected and endgameā€™s number of enemies.

4 Likes

Yeah, this is correct. I wanted to focus in on a very back-to-basics FE setting, inspired by FE1/11.

There were oversights and have been fixed in my dev version, hopefully releasing soon.

Not sure what to do about this but Iā€™ll look into it. The endgame assassins are pretty weak to compensate for their high avo, at least.

There wasnā€™t anything you did wrong with playing/reinforcements didnā€™t spawn weirdly, the AI on the enemies just makes the map flow a bit weird, Iā€™ll probably be slightly adjusting this in the next version as well.

Glad you enjoyed!

2 Likes

Austral Axe Fighters: exist

26th sqd 4 with an Iron blade: Pathetic

1 Like

Link in the OP has been updated with v1.1.1, which includes various miscellaneous fixes I missed in 1.1, mainly with regards to item pricing.

For the past few days I played this instead of working on my own hack, so if Iā€™m not ready in time for FEE3 itā€™s your fault.

Jokes aside, this is the only FE hack Iā€™ve ever finished. In some ways, I think the Commander is the only well-done self insert. I have never felt more guilty than when I sacrificed 26th Squad 1 after a blunder to make sure Commander wouldnā€™t die. I lost almost every unit I grew attached to except for the mage corps guys because magic is always OP. I also promoted Commander because I felt +3 RES was worth it.

Possible Issues
  • Thereā€™s some weirdness with the battle themes. The first player phase music doesnā€™t loop quite right, and a later player phase music is extremely quiet compared to the other tracks. The volume can be adjusted through the sound track editor in FEBuilder if you wanted to give that a whirl.
  • Warp staff is original price, it wasnā€™t mentioned by the previous person who brought it up so I donā€™t know if you got that fixed for 1.1.1
  • One of the villages does not end up properly destroyed in Chapter 18 when raided. I donā€™t know if this is just an issue across all the villages as this is the only one I missed.
Spoilers for endgame
  • The final boss is the only(?) boss that doesnā€™t have boss music. If this is intentional itā€™s pretty stylistically interesting as heā€™s basically the counterpart to your generic Commander, but if itā€™s an oversight, well, there you go.
  • Chapter 19 bosses do not have boss icons.
  • Most villages later in the game just reuse an older villageā€™s dialogue. I assume you know about this and just didnā€™t think it was a priority, but including it just in case.
  • Not an actual issue, but it seems strange for Blade, one of the random bandits near the midgame, to be the only named character in the entire hack (besides Dragon I guess).

Overall great hack, good work.

2 Likes

I actually forgot to fix this for 1.1.1, shoot. I guess keep your eyes peeled for a v1.1.2 in the coming weeks, whenever I feel up to fixing this.

This was fixed in 1.1.1, luckily.

I forget if this got fixed but I remember not knowing why this happened, might have to look further into it.

Spoilers for Endgame

Missed this too, will look at it.

Fixed as of 1.1.1

I thought ā€œBladeā€ was a generic enough name that I could get away with it, but thatā€™s pretty fair to be honest. I might change his name to ā€œBandit Leaderā€ or something.

Thanks a lot for playing and sorry for delaying your hackā€™s progress!

2 Likes

I just completed this game fully iron man, and it was a lot of fun. I was pleasantly surprised by the map quality, with good objectives and tough reinforcements to prevent turtling. Money was a bit tight, but I ended with 700 or so for the final shop, which helped endgame a lot. I ended with 6 deaths, 3 early game, 1 mid game (rip dracoknight guy in the supply chapter that got one rounded completely by halberdier guy), and 2 at the endgame chapter.

My Commander was immensely stat blessed, particularly in defense, which helped a lot for mid game. I think he actually one rounded Captain with the S rank lance.

Commander

This was a lot of fun, thanks for creating this.

4 Likes

Iron emblem 3

Is this a reference to something i am not aware of ?

Might be a bandit emblem one? Because you play as bandits and kill the prince and his army throughout the game.

Itā€™s a reference to some of the early bandit bosses in Shadow Dragon.

1 Like

This is charming as hell and reminds me of games like warhammer or battletech all your doodz are generic but they are YOURS and you probally have little backstories for each of them.

I wonder how hard would it be to allow you to play this game as different colors similar to painting your figures

4 Likes

I just finished a full Ironman playthrough. Did it on my first try which surprised me because the difficulty here could certainly feel overwhelming, but short of Chapter 12 (Defending the Castle for 10 Turns) and 13 (Destroying all the supplies within 12 turns) I never felt that it was unfair.

For something that was supposedly put together in such short time, Iā€™m impressed at how polished and smooth it plays. The game focuses less on specific characters (durr) and places way more emphasis on the classes themselves. Knights/Generals for example were invaluable for enemy phasing and blocking off corridors, while the Mercs/Myrms of the party tended to be my heavy hitters. Archers and Mages will usually never kill anything on their own but the ranged offense they provide makes it so you can finish off an enemy without retaliation, as most units that arenā€™t your general wonā€™t survive heavy combat.

The main theme of this hack, as said above, is super charming, and makes it so that when you do have a breakthrough unit, you canā€™t help but love them and impart some form of personality to them. I was pissed when the 26th Squad Fighter that I promoted to Warrior died on Chapter 11 because I grew attached to him throughout the course of the game.

Thank you for making this. This is an absolutely stellar project.

Below are my top five from the run:

24th Squad 3
Fort Guard 3
Hired Blade 8
Mage Corps 4
Sniper Squad 8

That Swordmaster was absolutely insane throughout the entire run. A true hero amongst generics. Likewise, that Sniper you get late game was beyond invaluable. I loved them all.

3 Likes