[FE8][Complete]Fire Emblem: War on Two Fronts v1.3 (Final Release)

First chapter in and my Jeigan already goes down lol.
Is he supposed to be able to come back, because he’s still usable in chapter two?

@JrpgAddict Hi, glad you enjoyed it. The game did originally have a playable swordmaster, but they ended up on the cutting room floor as I felt they wouldn’t really bring anything new to the table.

@Marba No, that’s not supposed to happen, I used the wrong version of the unit loading command for that chapter. Fortunately it was the only one that had the problem. I’ve updated the patch to fix it.

Hi.
I finished chapter 1 of your hack on original hardware (DS Lite, slot2) through SuperCard SD, and I must say that I didn’t encounter any problems whatsoever; graphics and animations are smooth. Only the animation of an air magic (the one that creates a vortex with bigger circles) slows down the graphics a bit, but nothing major. Nice background music. Promising.
Unfortunately I have to finish testing another FE Hack, then I’ll continue with this one.
In the meantime, I’ll give you some publicity with some pictures.

1 Like

Glad to hear that worked. Can’t say I ever tried putting rom hacks on those flash carts before.

I have a little problem. Varis cannot do any supports, even if they shows in the menu. Is intented that way? Thaks for your time.

Varis can’t form supports until he promotes, since some of the support conversations you get wouldn’t make sense otherwise.

oh, I see! Thanks for your reply. By the way, good hack, the history is pretty interesting.

possible spoilers

I was looking through the game in FEBuilder, and I noticed that Ferrus has a second class pallette as a Sorceror. Does he have a story promotion later on?

and how do I open the door to Anna and Kalma? I don’t see any switches.

The door opens when you stand next to it, as Anna says.

1 Like
Answer

That’s a relic of an older build, Ferrus doesn’t promote in the final version of the game.

Was Nyra planned to be playable? I found unit data of her with custom growths

She was originally designed to be playable starting from the penultimate chapter, but I ended up cutting her from the roster. I didn’t feel she added anything as a playable unit, since there are an abundance of sword using units already, and being in a class noted for its high speed doesn’t hold much value when speed caps at 20 anyway. I got as far as starting work on her supports before cutting her. I felt it was wasted work for a unit I didn’t expect the player to deploy. That might change in the future, if I decide to come back and do more work on this hack beyond bug fixes.

In my opinion, she should be playable because even though the speed cap is an issue, the extra crit chance is what makes Swordmasters good. Basically sword Godfrey with actual skill and less strength. That’s just my opinion though. Just thought it would be appreciated.

1 Like

I don’t have any specific problems with making her playable. I’ll consider it if I think there’s enough interest.

2 Likes

Is 5 still the limit on the amount of supports units can have?

Played up to Chapter 10 so far. It’s mostly been pretty fun, but Chapters 7 and 8 felt a little up to luck as to whether or not my units survived. Almost seemed like it was a puzzle with too few solutions. Part of that is partly due to the quality of the player characters. Nobody feels really effective in combat (save for Elyse. Maybe she was just blessed, but she’s my best unit by far), which sometimes makes combat annoying.

Godfrey is a great example of someone who feels like dead weight at times. He’s a Bandit, which is generally a low Def and low Res class. Not a problem, of course, but then he starts with only 20 HP. For a unit that isn’t likely to gain much in the way of defensive stats and is primarily a melee attacker, that’s rough. And his 75% HP growth doesn’t guarantee that his health situation will get better. Mine is currently level 9, and only gained an extra 3 HP. And that would’ve been only 2 had I not had to restart a chapter because I lost Varis. He really needs a buff to HP in order to more properly do his job.

I think I’ll hold off on saying much else until I complete the game, so that’s it for now.

I’m surprised you flagged chapter 7, but I would be inclined to agree that chapter 8 could do with me giving it another once over. I’m currently testing for 0% growths, and while I did get past it, that was the one chapter that started to feel like it might not be possible. When I get around to releasing it along with bug fixes, I will probably give that chapter another look. Godfrey’s supposed to be a unit who’s salvaged by a strong promotion, but I would agree that he needs buffs, so that’ll get rolled in as well.

Finished the game! I had a lot of fun playing it- the story was well-written, the characters likeable, and the gameplay itself (music, sprites, animations included) were all well done.)

The only thing that bugged me was 20 being the universal stat cap, but I will admit that the cap actually encouraged me to focus more on strategy since I couldn’t rely on a few god-tier units to carry the rest of my party.

Hey, it’s me again, bearing gifts. Version 1.2 is now out and available for download in the original post. It also comes with a 0% growths patch this time. The reason there wasn’t one available at launch was that it meant I actually had to play through and beat the thing on 0% to ensure it was possible. If you can get past Chapter 8 I’ll certainly be surprised. In addition, the hack now has a Tier List Maker page, for those of you who are interested in that sort of thing.

1 Like

Been hearing good things about this hack - I’m looking forward to trying it! Congrats on the [complete] release.

1 Like