[FE8] [Complete] Fire Emblem: Vision Quest (v3 by Pushwall - 1-Oct-22)

I love the alternate animations you have included. That’s some really impressive work!

1 Like

Really impressive!

1 Like

Nice work! There probably won’t be any more updates unless more game-breaking bugs surface, though. My intention when choosing alternate animations was to stay true to FE7’s method of only using stylistic variants of the generic animations with mostly the same motions (e.g. FE7 Lucius is just a generic monk but with long hair, VQ Gunnar is just a generic merc but without a headband), fitting Pandan’s FE7 modus operandi. Surya being a Hawkeye-style berserker does break the mold, but FE7 had its sole exception to the rule as well - Hawkeye.

5 Likes

If i patch the rom i get, my progress will be erased?

If you allow, I want to contribute to the battle palettes because some seem off to me:

1. Sri uses blue & brown in the portrait but blue & green in the battle sprite.
  2. Surya uses a purple headband in the portrait but uses a grey one in the battle sprite.
  3. Nazar uses cream & dark purple in his portrait but uses brown & cream in the battle sprite.
  4. Seruni has brown in the portrait but silver in the battle sprite.
  5. Helga and Ruslan use the same color for their wyvern - a bland cement grey, while the enemies use a shiny silvery white.

My discord ID is RRSKAI#5132, I will send you a zip with all the palettes (can’t upload zips to FEU posts). You’re free to change colors as you wish.

I wasn’t suggesting using alternate animations at all. I made those for myself because I had a silly idea called Cosmetic Promotion. FE8 allows two promos, so I’m just using the second slot for a different battle sprite.

That’s fair. If you ever do an update, could you update these:

1. Titus - General with Shield and Cape (gives him a cape to show off that black, he already has a cape in his portrait)
  2. Titus - Baron (better because it makes him slightly more unique)
  3. Sigrid - Monk F by eldritch (fixes her T1 palette)
    The next one is optional
  4. Ketut - Cleric F by eldrtch (allows a third color making her a bit more vibrant)
    image image image image
3 Likes

It will be fine, you can continue using your old .sav file.

anyone ever see this before. I haven’t played the game in awhile so I have no idea why this popping up? I would hate to have to start all over. I mean I see the sav file right there in folder. I could cry

Did you move where the save file is located? If it was moved to a folder that isn’t writable then the sav won’t be loadable.

a question, do you plan to make sprites for future versions of vision quest?

I might. I have two in mind currently.

Do you know the general sprites in Project Ember? I feel like they would suit Vision Quest

nope see it’s literally right there

it fixed itself today lol

Might be a bit of a silly question (or one that’s already been answered), but would you ever consider creating a sequel to Vision Quest? As many others have said, you have an incredible knack for story composition and coupling that with engaging gameplay throughout. I know this is a non-trivial effort, and wanted to float the idea of crowd-funding you for your efforts here if you were game for a part two!

Dan has tried to make a sequel before.

Its Cancelled.

3 Likes

ah ok thanks for the info :frowning:

Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate it. Glad you enjoyed VQ!

Re: cancelled sequel, the long and short of it is that I wasn’t having fun working on it, namely because I struggled to carve out as much free time to dedicate to it, but also because I found writing a good story within the confines of the same world challenging and unenjoyable. I felt like I was writing fanfiction of my own work vs. creating something new.

I’m taking a break from hacking to focus on work and other interests/obligations (honestly it’s mostly work these days), but I’ve been messing around with some other ideas I’ve considering pursuing, but the biggest barrier for me is time. We’ll see if I ever get around to making another project outside of contributing to things like Call of the Armor or Bells of Byelen.

4 Likes

So does this mean that by promoting a unit at a level less than 15 you will permanently miss out on a skill (the one they’d aquire for their base class @ level 15)?

I’m a longtime Fire Emblem fan but new to rom hacks. I started playing Vision Quest for the first time two weeks ago and was blown away by the quality of the design, all the custom art, and well written story. It’s like discovering a long lost Fire Emblem game from my favorite era in the series! Thank you to everyone who had a hand in this!

4 Likes

@Pandan So many people have not yet played this, keep up the fixes and small updates! Since I feel like I got a bargain with a game this good for free, I wanted to piece together some sort of cover painting, taking a stab at the gba era cover art style. Here’s Storch, Titus and Esfir on the cover. Feel free to use to promote this awesome project!

35 Likes