[FE8] [Complete] Fire Emblem: Vision Quest (v3 by Pushwall - 1-Oct-22)

There was actually a sequel for this but it was cancelled.

I suppose I must be playing an older version then. I’ve been watching someone’s playthrough on YT and haven’t noticed any other differences. I’m too deep to stop now lol. What else might I miss out on though?

Also, thanks for making this and answering, Pandan! It’s a great feat of hacking and truly a joy to play (even if it’s sometimes sadistic lmao)

Most of the differences between v1 and v2 are fairly minor - stat stuff, inventory adjustments, etc. most maps didn’t get redone very much. It could just be an odd glitch, sorry to hear that you missed it.

NP happy to help and thanks for giving it a whirl

1 Like

Ah, yes the classic “wait for the rom to cool off before you use it” :skull:

3 Likes

Game is amazing. I appreciate the hard work you and your team did to make an amazing rom hack. Does anyone have any cheat codes that work for NO$GBA?

1 Like

Thanks for playing.

I’m unaware of any cheat codes - you’d be better off trying to “cheat” by adjusting what you want (numbers, inventory, arena, etc.) in FEBuilder. Will probably be easier and have fewer issues for you.

Vision Quest 2.3V.ups file is corrupt

When/where are you receiving this error?

Joined just to say thank you for making this, I had such a good time. An excellent hack.

Kir and Nazar were my mvps!

6 Likes

Appreciate it! Thanks for giving it a play. I approve of your MVPs :sunglasses:

Hope you stick around and check out some of the other projects here. Welcome!

2 Likes

Just started round 2 of this hack, and man, it still holds up, even after all the other hacks I’ve played. I did normal the first time, and man, I was not expecting hard to be this brutal. It certainly doesn’t help that I’m doing 0% growths, but your units are so limited in what they can do, and it requires either a lot of skill or a lot of sacrifice strats to even make it out of the earlygame.

If anyone else wants to play, here’s the patch, highly reccomend it if you are a masochist https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_DD_yCH4PNC35Rh6bov6Z-MFjCj4x5jw/view?usp=sharing

Also, I haven’t been around FEU for very long, so if it’s bad form to post this, lemme know and I’ll remove it.

2 Likes

0% HM? Nice. Yeah it’s great if you have a masochistic streak. Though I did it 2 years and a month ago which means I lacked a lot of the recent niceties such as buffed Sarka/Lori gang/Anwen, HM bonuses for Honeydew, Natsuko joining with a ladyblade, and reduced fog effectives.

My solution to a lot of the sacrifice issues was to just not accept a lot of the gaidens and leave behind some of the less important treasure, but I did end up sacrificing Marlen/Lera to get out of the earlygame and a few others to pick up some key villages and convoy-warp their contents. Also a lot of light rune gaming. People really need to recognise how strong light runes are.

Thanks for convincing me to dig through my highlight reel.

Highlights

Completely unintended help in bringing him down, I just wanted to lure him into equipping a melee weapon so I could steal the flame sword (only to then realise that Dreyfus lacks the speed for that)
zSlfeWb

Natsuko being good
hTAwjuz

Unit with stats 10 chapters out of date onerounds with iron
rWpJYGz

Unit with stats 10 chapters out of date tinks the hellbeasts that are Kuching sword scouts
jbh6iRy

Huge threat disarmed with 2 uses of an item you get a ton of
McuYZ1p

Brave sword is Kir’s prf sorry koosoomers
ENpnY94

The true destination for all those stat boosters. I think I also considered Erasmus but a lot of part 4 was peak abuse and Erasmus can’t partake in that. The 1 energy ring I was able to acquire went to Cassius for +1 warp range which came in clutch countless times.
7jgmfxp

Lajos has still got it, he lasted all the way up to 4-6 too
d3buhD4

Aforementioned peak abuse
8hqmm3r

Rare case of hammerning something that isn’t a mobility staff or S rank, he onerounds so much with it
pAcGhsG

I amassed enough money to buy 37 stat boosters (didn’t get the silver card). I then proceeded to not buy any as I also wanted to send a message at the time. 4-E is not that hard.
PzlZtpv

Case in point
Oh00HRC

5 Likes

Yo, thanks so much for the advice and highlights! I have some tricks of my own for the later chapters, but I’ll def keep Rakkus and Cassius in mind. Now I just need to get out of part 1

You will definitely want the shield/power rings (3-E and 4-3). I alternated those as needed to allow Rakkaus to either reliably survive an enemy phase against insurmountable odds or reliably kill a ton of stuff. +10 def/res or str on demand is crazy.

Wrt gaidens the only ones I accepted were 1-7x (having Bosco on hand was pretty big for 1-8 which was probably the hardest part of the run aside from 3-E) and 2-3x (for a body ring that ended up being used to steal a horseslayer, a killer axe and a sky piercer before sword scout hell began, probably unnecessary and I don’t think that body ring even exists anymore in recent versions)

Hey everyone,

I just finished this hack on hard mode today, even kept the characters alive for the gaiden. Unfortunately though, after the battle summary screen, my game crashed and my save seems to be corrupted (it’s disappeared from the menu, although I can still load it with savestates.)

The text on screen became garbled and the sound bugged out, then I was hit with a “jumped to invalid address” crash. I was really looking forward to the gaiden and the character endings - has anyone had this problem before? I’m using the latest version of mGBA.

Thanks for playing. I know the text can get garbled because some chapter names are too long for this screen.

Can you try skipping past this part? I’ve had this bug a few times too, but never able to reliably reproduce it.

Hey, thanks for replying,

None of the commands that normally skip cutscene will get past this point unfortunately. I can load the suspended data and resume to the final blow on the last boss, but the crash happens every time.

I tried switching emulators, but that only made it worse - the entire last screen becomes a whiteout of garbled text. Pretty sure my save file is totally corrupted now. I’ve had the same error before, sometimes happening when I load a save state, not sure if that helps. I’m able to circumvent the error then by loading another state, but that doesn’t work with this iteration.

Also Pandan, while you’re here - just wanted to commend you on the script for this hack. The writing here is honestly higher quality than most of the work I encountered during my MFA. Really inspired me to start my own script. Thanks a lot for your work.

1 Like

Sorry to hear - know that has to be frustrating after playing the entire game.

Does anyone have a .sav file they can send Tertulian w/ the credits roll so they can view endgame? I don’t think I have one on hand since it’s been a while since I played and I don’t think I’ve done a run since the update.

Really appreciate this, thanks. Did you focus on creative writing? Looking forward to seeing your project!

1 Like

I’ve been planning on starting an Ironman run anyway, I’m sure I’ll see the credits eventually. Going to try a fresh patch with a different base rom, it’s possible something was always weird with it.

And yeah, I did an MFA in creative writing out here in New York. I teach now, and generally work with more “literary” subject matter, but have been looking for an outlet for some of my more genre-ish ideas for awhile. Vision Quest really cemented for me that a top-notch script could breathe fresh air into a series generally full of tropes, and aimed at kids.

Now I just need to learn FEBuilder! :cold_face:

2 Likes

Oh also, I created a google spreadsheet with character growth/class/weapon/affinity information so I could look at everyone at a glance and plan future runs. Leaving it here if its helpful to anyone. Eventually I’ll update it to include bases and supports.

6 Likes