[FE8] [Complete] Fire Emblem: Vision Quest (v3 by Pushwall - 1-Oct-22)

Nice! Enjoy and good luck.

Very cool - yeah I think FE as a mechanism for storytelling is interesting and find that if you have a good grasp of its systems and how it works, it enables you to comfortably deviate within those bounds while creating an experience that still feels like FE – both narratively and in gameplay.

There’s def a lot more I could’ve done to spruce up the VQ script, but in general I was pretty content with most of it, in particular certain character moments (I’m a big believer in having the plot serve the characters, giving them something to react to vs. having the characters be a vehicle for the plot to unfold, at least in an FE context). Def a lot you can do w/ the core formula and its limitations, keen to see what you come up with.

Lots of good resources to get started, plus the discord should be able to help w/ your questions as you ramp up. It helps to remember that everything is basically a series of tables that hold specific data values. That mental framing helped me understand what i was working on and where I needed to make specific adjustments to affect something that appears “as one” to the player.

5 Likes

Thats really neat, now you don’t need builder or Oifey to check!

Yo! Started playing Vision Quest this week and its amazing! Im still early in the game (1-7, normal) but the challenge is just right, the story is interesting and I love the music. When I heard Ken Stage music from SF2 on the first map then Kid Icarus on the second I knew this was gonna be fun. Thank you for this hack :pinched_fingers::pinched_fingers::pinched_fingers::clap::clap::clap:

3 Likes

Update:

Just beat the Gradin castle map. This is the best GBA Fire emblem experience I’ve ever had from the writing, music, balance, cool weapons… damn guys nice job :+1:

5 Likes

Thanks for playing - appreciate the feedback! Hope you stick around and try out some other hacks around the site, too. Lots of good stuff out there.

1 Like

So with 30+ playable units do folks tend to spread out your deployments or focus-level a core group of 10-ish?

Everyone plays differently.

Ideally, you can get away with using whoever you want.

In my playtests, I tend to rotate a lot and let the level ups dictate who I stick with long term. After testing through the game many times, I find this to be most entertaining for me.

I’ve seen other people focus on a smaller core and have an easier time. It’s up to you and what you enjoy.

2 Likes

I really love the unit diversity. Mage armor, halbardier, axe cav are fun and unlike anything in vanilla FE8.

In my run, Larisa is a HOUSE. 20str/23def/15spd and even 9 res as a lv 2 General :sunglasses:

MVP by a mile so far.

2 Likes

Amazing, exactly everything i like about fire emblem games (but reassignable skills), said that, is there a character guide where i can see all skills on all characters (tvtropes doesn’t have them)? i really like to plan ahead in what characters i’ll invest xp (I don’t mind spoilers). Otherwise, can anyone share a save file with all the characters maxed (or near all) so i can read the skills?

I finished part 1 and my prefered characters for each class (because of skills) came in late so i wanna restart and plan ahead accordingly knowing future potential skills

Sleuthing around in febuilder can show you skills + a lot of other detailed info.
Here’s a link to a spreadsheet with character, class, and prf skill (assuming you don’t care about class specific skills).
Rogues get steal+ (can steal unequipped weapons/staves if con > weapon weight) at level 5 btw (as well as locktouch)
(Just threw this in here if you want to factor this into which thief you pick, really didn’t have much of an impact on my playthrough personally, especially since staves have 0 weight and can’t be equipped)

spoilers

VQ prf skills - Google Sheets

may add bases/growths/weapon ranks/class skills sometime in the future:tm:
please tell me if i got anything wrong/missed anyone

i swear i hit reply to user bruh

Thanks m8, nice spreadsheet, even though is missing the later skills it’s still useful, i’ll try to figure out FEBuilder to see what i can see

The later skills learned are the same for every class of that type, so once you see one you’ve kinda see them all. The personal skills are the only “unique” aspect to the skill system

1 Like

Hey, is this link down for anyone else / does anyone else have the CN patch?

Also there’s a typo in the Michael / Timmonmen ending (TImmonmen)

Is there a legendary weapons location list?

I booted up a $5 mobile RPG and realized the available starting classes/party slots/deity options fit the Belaro Banditry squad perfectly lol

Storch worships the harvest deity, Esfir and Lera worship the darkness deity, Arckady worships the fire deity, and Vagelis worships the deity of the hunt lol

if anyone finds this interesting I might edit this post with updates on the subclasses later

3 Likes

Maybe @Gonzales can help here?

Finally hit part 3 (whew!) wanted to say how much I appreciate the old school soundtracks featured here. Secret of Mana, street fighter 2, Starfox, SMB2–LIFE FORCE?? And many others. It’s so cool when I hear an old game track and it fits to the mood. :raised_hands:

2 Likes

might I inquire what this game is?

It’s Blacksmith of the Sand Kingdom and it’s actually $8, but there’s a trial that covers the first dungeon or so. The gameplay flow is a little reminiscent of Recettear.

Thanks! I know the music selection can be hit or miss at times. I def picked a lot that I liked and wanted to use even if it didn’t fit the mood, but I did enjoy spelunking into old MIDIs to learn about games I’d never heard of before.

This one became one of my favorites from an obscure old game I’d not heard of before:

3 Likes