[FE8] [Complete] Fire Emblem: Vision Quest (v3 by Pushwall - 1-Oct-22)

I might. I have two in mind currently.

Do you know the general sprites in Project Ember? I feel like they would suit Vision Quest

nope see it’s literally right there

it fixed itself today lol

Might be a bit of a silly question (or one that’s already been answered), but would you ever consider creating a sequel to Vision Quest? As many others have said, you have an incredible knack for story composition and coupling that with engaging gameplay throughout. I know this is a non-trivial effort, and wanted to float the idea of crowd-funding you for your efforts here if you were game for a part two!

Dan has tried to make a sequel before.

Its Cancelled.

3 Likes

ah ok thanks for the info :frowning:

Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate it. Glad you enjoyed VQ!

Re: cancelled sequel, the long and short of it is that I wasn’t having fun working on it, namely because I struggled to carve out as much free time to dedicate to it, but also because I found writing a good story within the confines of the same world challenging and unenjoyable. I felt like I was writing fanfiction of my own work vs. creating something new.

I’m taking a break from hacking to focus on work and other interests/obligations (honestly it’s mostly work these days), but I’ve been messing around with some other ideas I’ve considering pursuing, but the biggest barrier for me is time. We’ll see if I ever get around to making another project outside of contributing to things like Call of the Armor or Bells of Byelen.

4 Likes

So does this mean that by promoting a unit at a level less than 15 you will permanently miss out on a skill (the one they’d aquire for their base class @ level 15)?

I’m a longtime Fire Emblem fan but new to rom hacks. I started playing Vision Quest for the first time two weeks ago and was blown away by the quality of the design, all the custom art, and well written story. It’s like discovering a long lost Fire Emblem game from my favorite era in the series! Thank you to everyone who had a hand in this!

4 Likes

@Pandan So many people have not yet played this, keep up the fixes and small updates! Since I feel like I got a bargain with a game this good for free, I wanted to piece together some sort of cover painting, taking a stab at the gba era cover art style. Here’s Storch, Titus and Esfir on the cover. Feel free to use to promote this awesome project!

35 Likes

20 Likes

Holy heck, this is epic!! Thanks for doing this, feels super legit.

I’ll be honest that I thought Festan in the background was Kelik at first, but the armor made me realize pretty quickly who it was lol.

Great job!! Do you mind if I put this in the OP?

10 Likes

Yes, this is correct. The idea was that it would present a tradeoff to early promo. (ie do I want stats now or do I want to hold off til level 15?)

At the time, I was concerned the game would be too easy early on if you early promo’d because of the big promo gains, and then the late game would be too hard, because you missed out on early levels. In retrospect, I should’ve worried less about this and instead lower promo gains across the board and remove the class skill to give the player more flexibility.

Hope the info (and my monologue) helps!

@Pandan of course! Use however you want, these are yours!
I’ll be honest, I havent even finished Part 2 yet so maybe there’s a big bad I should be replacing Festan with but I was too excited to not make a little fan art!

3 Likes

Hey man, I generally don’t want to be someone who “calls out” people, but you claim this to be “do some sort of cover painting”

However, this is so blatantly a trace on most of the parts of this box art. It’s a good thing to be inspired… but not cool trying to pass off using official art of things as your own original work.

It’s cool now, don’t want to delete post though

image comparison

1 Like

Correct! I never claimed I drew all that from scratch, I pieced and painted over various characters from other fe games to give it the same feel as those classic games, considering this was a rom hack and many portraits and sprites were made the same way I didn’t think it was an issue. Sorry, thought it was obvious where the character framework came from. Titus uses pieces of armor from Hector.

9 Likes

Ahh, gotcha gotcha.

I think I was just being a stickler because I couldn’t tell if it was deliberate at some places it if that was the point or not.

I really appreciate reflecting the source text to make it clearer for everyone!

5 Likes

Added the great art by Wes to the OP. Appreciate you taking time to make it.

We also hit 40K downloads. Pretty wild to see so many people try out the game over its life and many versions. Big thanks again to Pushwall for sprucing things up.

Thanks again for giving it a try and sharing your thoughts over the years. If you have any feedback or questions, happy to chat about it in this thread. :+1:

We’re roughly at about ~5 years ago when I first started drafting the original part 1 outline. It’s interesting to see where things are now and what I learned about hacking upon reflection. It’s cool that the game’s made an impression on many people over the course of that time. Grateful for the experience and learning (and yes there’s a lot of things I’d do differently now, but that’s part of the process). Appreciate all of the help, support, and guidance over the years.

Happy American Thanksgiving, all.

21 Likes

Really nice hack! I enjoyed how things turned out in my playthrough of this game.

Story Spoilers

Favorite Units: Honeydew 1st place, Titus 2nd place, Sigrid 3rd place

Honeydew is a really fun character, since her first appearance breaking the fourth wall making fun of the blue/red color scheme on units, to a really mundande but funny gaiden. Titus is by far the best lord and true protagonist of Vision Quest, most of the trials and enemies you face are more related to him than anyone else, a goofy but paranoid scheming noble was the last thing I expected from a Fire Emblem Lord. Sigrid was really fun to use in the few chapters she was available, sadly for most of the story she is captured we can’t see in action for too long, but I guess if that were the case she would lose her Est status.

Favorite enemy bosses: General Bromhilda 1st place, Emperor Festan 2nd place, Colonel Kitosawa 3rd place

To think the last 2 chapters would only have bosses that I didn’t want to kill at all, especially Bromhilda for all the help she gives during the journey, and for cutting TItus’ BS the moment they fight each other haha, Kitosawa is a really funny edgy swordmaster, with his special skill being both hilarious(man literally teleports behind you) and fitting for him, as the suicidal revenge-driven maniac he is.

Strongest Unit in my Playthrough: Sigrid(all capped but con)

A question to the creator, since it’s been quite some time since you first made the game’s story, would there have been any major changes to the current story if you had made Vision Quest today? If yes, which?

2 Likes