[FE8] [Complete] Fire Emblem: The Phantom King

Good find, that is indeed not as intended.

As for Lennard, he promotes in a later chapter.
I will add the intended promotion items to the promotion chart for extra clarification.

Thanks

Just started the hack and made it to Chapter 4. Here are my initial thoughts.

General:

  • I’m not sure when this hack started development, but it’s missing a number of QoL features like map health bars and full enemy range button that make it less pleasant to play. Consider adding these in a future update if they don’t break the existing code too badly.
  • Bows already stand out enough at universal 2-3-Range by value of sheer utility.
    Giving them a Brave effect as well feels a little unnecessary and sometimes even detrimental considering their Mt is lowered. Then again, this game doesn’t seem to use the Skill system, so maybe this is a necessary evil.
  • There are occasionally typos in dialogue, most frequently “of course” being spelled as one word. This is a minor issue and quite common in fan projects from what I’ve seen, but I doubt it would hurt to have a proofreader take another look at the script.

Chapter-Specific Stuff:

  • Do all of the villagers in the Prologue have to be talked to to permanently recruit them? There are lots of tough enemies to deal with and it’s even harder to train them when Richard is stuck talking to villagers for over half the map.
  • I can’t visit the village in Chapter 2. Not sure if this is intentional, but if it is, I’d suggest either changing its color or replacing it with something else entirely.
  • In Chapter 3, either I wasn’t paying attention, or the camera doesn’t show the reinforcements spawning at the top of the map. This ended up costing my new Archer a fair chunk of EXP as I sent him away to join the others only to see that there were suddenly enemies near his starting point.

So far I’d say it’s competently made enough, even if it’s slightly rough around the edges. I’ll keep playing and record anything else that crosses my mind.

2 Likes

Originally I wasn’t planning on putting any QoL features in it, but since people are asking for it i’ll add them in the future.

Yeah I know, bows are weird in this hack :laughing:. I am personally quite satisfied with how they turned out though. Some people don’t like it and thats fine. It is what is it.

No, those are just bonus conversations and are not needed to recruit them.

That’s strange. It seems to work whenever I try it myself.

I will look into it.

Thanks for your thoughts. All of your points will be taken into consideration for the next update! :+1:

1 Like

Reached Chapter 8. More thoughts below.

General:

  • Please, please, PLEASE add in that split convoy knabepicer suggested, and maybe a little more gold to accommodate both armies. Neither group having convoy access does nothing but make the hack artificially difficult and resupplying/inventory management a huge pain in the ass, to the point where I’m genuinely considering dropping the hack entirely until the split convoy functionality is present.
  • Lennard’s chapters up to this point have generally been much more frustrating than Kathleen’s; had I not known any better I would’ve accused you of being biased towards her side. This seems to be largely the fault of the trainee units. Lennard gets stuck with not one, two, or even three, but all FOUR of these trainees sucking up large quantities of EXP just to promote into classes that are actually decent. And even then all of them except Claye have the durability of wet tissue paper. Why are they even here? It doesn’t even seem like there’s that much of a military power disparity between Lerce and Garleanne that the latter would need to scrape the bottom of the barrel for help, so you could just replace them with ordinary soldiers with actual experience and nothing would be lost.
  • The overuse of “ofcourse” is becoming a nuisance. Seriously. Re-read your chapter scripts and take a shot every time it appears. Not only is it incorrect, it also makes the script increasingly repetitive and grating to read. Again, please consider having an external proofreader go over it and remedy this and some of the other typos that dot the writing.
  • I will commend this hack for the amount of effort but into the worldbuilding and the (AFAIK) unique storytelling approach compared to most other projects. It makes the story feel a lot more human and nuanced than the straightforward “evil empire is attacking the good kingdom, go kick their butts” I’m used to seeing.
  • Is this project balanced around early promotion at Level 10? I know the stat caps are lower than normal and a lot of the cast has lower availability than would be normal because of how control alternates between the two sides. (I’m playing on Normal, by the way).

Chapter-Specific Stuff:

  • Aaron starts with C in Swords and A in Lances despite being an Archer. I have not tested if anything weird happens if he actually uses these weapon types.
  • Ballisticians have no class name or class portrait.
  • The switch event that opens the gate in Chapter 4 never gets disabled after being executed, meaning you can accidentally waste a turn opening a gate that’s already been opened.
  • It’s too bad Theonell had to be cut from the playable roster. Had this game been made in something like SRPG Studio or Lex Talionis, the memory constraints of a Sacred Stones ROM would’ve been a non-issue. Alas, it’s a little late for that.
  • The Rapier is only effective against Cavaliers and does not appear to do extra damage against Armored Knights or Nomads. Not sure if this is intended, but it’s very unusual and in my opinion not good.
  • The Cursed Lance has a misleading description that makes it sound like it’s a magical weapon when it isn’t. Please reword this somehow to make it less confusing.
  • The Axe Mercenary and Fighter classes are way too similar to one another. They both have the same promotions and have nearly identical stats. What’s so wrong with the Pirate class that Thina can’t simply just promote into that instead of Axe Merc? At least it would give her more meaningful variety in her promotion options.
  • Oh my God. Chapter 6 is a Thracia-style escape chapter. This is just cruel, and I have to resist every temptation I can to avoid going on a profane tirade about it. And I still haven’t even attempted Chapter 8 yet. That one’s going to be a nightmare, I just know it.
  • Pavise fully blocking damage was cancer in vanilla Sacred Stones and it’s still cancer here.
  • The Nomad accompanying Trekkin in Chapter 7 has a Lightning tome instead of a bow.
  • For some reason, the game started to lag every so often after I attacked Josef. I’m not sure if this is a problem with the game itself or something on my end.

As I get deeper in I can see that this project has some merits, but my patience with it is rapidly wearing thin. I’m less confident now that I’ll continue playing it tomorrow than I was the day before.

Sorry if any of this is upsetting. If it helps any I’m wondering to myself whether these complaints I have are indicative of genuine design issues or if they’re indicative that I’m just an Awakening baby who’s not very good at FE.

1 Like

I would really like to, but as I said in the OP I have no idea how to get it to work. I’m sorry that sharing the convoy is so frustrating to you.

Well…simply because I wanted to put trainee units in it. The story was originally going to be way smaller in scale and that’s why they’re there instead of ordinary soldiers.

Yes yes, I know I know :sweat_smile:. People have been telling me that. I will edit it when I have the time. It’s hard for me to find the typos since english isn’t my native language and I don’t know anyone who is that good in english either, so finding a good proofreader is difficult.

Yes, it is.

Yep, and it’s far from the only one in this hack.

It’s fine. Any thoughts you are willing to share are appreciated!

When he mentions the convoy, his complaint isn’t that they share it. It’s that the convoy around Ch 5 for some reason becomes disabled. I’m on Ch6 with Lennard and it’s still disabled. I think he was under the impression that you removed the convoy so that the parties can’t share it.

Screenshot from Ch5 using Kathleen and supply is gone:

Screenshot from Ch 6 using Lennard and supply is still gone:

2 Likes

Ah, I see. I will fix it as soon as I’m able to.

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Small update:
The main lords were unable to call the convoy in the previous patch.
It has been fixed.
That’s all for now.

Have a nice day!

Found some more errors/issues:

Spoilers

Tancred can’t use Rapier when he evolves to a Hero despite it being a Prf weapon

The chapter that Lennard gets the Noble Seal, there is a glitch where if you restart you can get as many as you want.

The Rogue Class can’t pick anything, they need to have a Lockpick like a normal thief. Don’t think this was intentional

Normal Mode gets quite easy with the stats max capped to 20 and the amount of chapters you get with arenas. The enemies are also lacking stats-wise.

You can clear a chapter with a couple of promoted units. I’m on Chapter 19 so far.

1 Like

Thanks, I will fix them in the next update.

Yeah, the difficulty drops for a few chapters there. I noticed that as well. After chapter 20 the difficulty will be a bit higher again. At least in my experience.

1 Like

I just completed the difficult mode of this hack and found the following problems:
1.Aaron, as an archer, has proficiency in sword and spear, and can use swords and spears, but there is no animation. Is there a problem?
2.Nomad, as an enemy, is often equipped with lighting, just a vase?
3.Braian has 15 con as a Lord, is it too high? When promoted to hero Lord, his con was reduced by 3. When he was promoted to warrior Lord, his con did not change.This is the first time that I have seen that promotion does not increase con.
4. All arrows have brave effect, but the damage in the early stage is too low. Change some arrows back to the original ones. Will it be better? Longbow doesn’t show the attack range.
5.Tancre can’t use repier, and neither can most of the enemy sword lords and ranger lord and the enemy kathleen.
6.wagon and Desuelle don’t have avatars
7.Castor’s personal ability is not set, only the general’s value. Is it intentional?
8.At the end of Chapter 22, I was returned to the start interface. At the beginning of Chapter 23, game was frozen. My friend said that this would happen if there was a door when the character was moving.I can only skip by pressing start to continue the game.
9.At the Chapter 25,When everyone said a word at the beginning of the battle, the screen didn’t move, resulting in some people not seeing it at all.
10.Dergyn’s character ratio feels strange. He made too few appearances, and soon the story ended, which didn’t show his strength at all. His ambition was not achieved, and he prepared for the next resurrection before the war, which was designed too hastily.

4 Likes

Thanks for playing!

Some of these bugs have been fixed in the latest patch which makes me think that you might be playing an older version. However, some things are new to me like the hero lord’s con, Tancred and his rapier and the freezing of chapter 22 and 23. Thank you for reporting those.

These bugs are now fixed and the updated version is in the dropbox.

I’m on chapter 8 Battle of Caenster.

Aaron has some issues with using the Arena. He is getting matched with Melee units and is causing this black screen that after a few attacks goes away. He still keeps the damage afterwards, but no XP as he isn’t killing the enemy.

I don’t know too much about FEbuilder but with him having weapon stats with Sword and Lance, was he previously a melee unit? Is there a value that relates to the Arena that differentiates it from a Ranged or Melee unit and he is retaining the Melee value?

I have also encountred an issue when attempting to promote Marya, while she can use a guiding ring and promote, the animation and the stat up screen are completely skipped.

Finished the game

It was easy compared to some other hacks I have played.

Comments/Suggestions

He can use Hope despite it being meant for Kathleen only

The chapter where Kathleen gets Hope can be restarted to get multiple copies of it

This boss was so weak, not sure if it was intentional

This was funny, lol

For the Final Chapter:

  1. the units in the locked room were weaker than the skeletons outside it. I feel like it should be the opposite.
  2. The boss’s tome only had 1-2 range which meant you could easily snipe him with bows at no risk since they have 3 range and can hit 2 - 4 times. Made it very easy, IMO.
  3. If he had a transformation after he died into some monster, that would have made the chapter better or if you added strong monster reinforcements that forced the player to finish the chapter faster. Feel like a bunch of chapters could have benefited from strong reinforcements spawning.

I would like to try this game on Hard Mode if possible, certain chapters might play better with the increase in difficulty.

All in all for a hack, I liked it. The two sides to the battle/war thing was interesting from a storytelling perspective.

1 Like

That seems to be the problem, yes. I fixed it in the most recent version. And no, he never was a melee unit. I’m just stupid and forgot to change his weapon ranks from vanilla, which were still those of Syrene :man_facepalming:.

This one is quite strange. I’m not sure what the cause is. Thanks for finding it though!

Thanks for giving it a try!
And thanks for your suggestions. I will defenitely try to raise the difficulty on some parts and add more reinforcements in some places (probably on hard mode).
I haven’t made any hard mode exclusive changes yet but there will be in the future.

Yeah, you weren’t actually supposed to reach him. The chapter should have ended whenever one of your units reach the throne room. My bad :sweat_smile:.

3 Likes

New to this hack, only on chapter 6, but I really don’t understand some characters’ growths. Why on earth is Thyvel rocking growths like that? As an early 2nd class promote??? And he joins at the same time as Phelip and Rauss, who he blows away in every category. Is there some method to this madness, or is the hack a Fates-esque “some characters are just better than everyone else” kind of thing?

Amazing hack. Had a fe fates feel to it and I loved fe fates. 11/10 storyline, character development, backstory, plot, etc. Everything flows very well and the writing was great. Kept me super interested.
Few problems: LOTS of spelling errors and I cannot express LOTS enough. Convo split ofcourse would help or add more gems and more opportunity to buy weapons (maybe add more variety in the prep menu if that’s even possible).
Other than that, great gameplay, objectives, maps, etc. Also can confirm hard mode is playable.

1 Like

The only problem I’ve encountered is that it’s impossible to play easy mode for you get stuck on a tutorial chapter in ch3

ayo does this have casual?

Was the rapier changed so that it couldn’t deal effective damage against armor knights? I noticed this in Chapter 5 when I tried to use the rapier against an Armor Knight. The item description is the same as base fe8, so I’m not sure if it’s a bug or not.