[FE8] [Complete] Fire Emblem: The Phantom King

Hard mode is playable but are there any changes from normal mode??

I wanna do a 2nd playthrough on Hard mode

Looks like Guillaume has fallen on hard timesā€¦

3 Likes

Hello there, itā€™s been a while.

My apologies for not responding to your questions. I realize that my last post was about half a year ago (Time flies, I guess). I havenā€™t been very active on this site during this time due to me being busy with other stuff (More on that later). Sorry for keeping you waiting.

Thywel is meant to be kind of a second jagen, but one that doesnā€™t really fall off after a few chapters. But youā€™re right, maybe he is a bit busted when he joins.

Thank you so much for the kind words! Itā€™s great to hear that you liked it. And thank you for confirming that hard mode is playable.

Ah, yes. I have not tested easy mode at all, sorry. Maybe I should take a look at that as well.

Nope, sorry. I probably wonā€™t be adding a casual mode because I donā€™t know how to do that. :man_shrugging:

Thanks for letting me know. I accidentally changed it. Then I thought: ā€˜Oh well, Iā€™ll change it back some other timeā€™. And then I kinda forgot about it. :man_facepalming:

No. Not at the moment. However, I am still working on the final version, which will have some changes on hard mode. More on that later.

:laughing:

And now it is time for an update:

Next month is already this hacks 1st anniversary. Time really does fly. And still, I havenā€™t finished writing supports or implemented a proper hard mode. :man_facepalming:
Iā€™m still working on it, I promise.
The next update will have: Supports, Hard mode, QOL changes, an in-game lore book in place of the guide, fewer typos (I hope)(I am dragging the whole script through a spelling check), a few new scenes and some other changes.

Why has progress been so slow you ask? Wellā€¦Iā€™m just busy with life I guess. Also, itā€™s hard to come back to this project because Iā€™ve lost interest in it. Most of the time I put in romhacking is spent on two other projects (and drafting a 3rd) that Iā€™m not yet going to reveal. So, yeah. I have been laying ā€˜the phantom kingā€™ a bit off to the wayside for the past year. But recently Iā€™ve regained some of my interest and I have been making some progress. So, this next and final update should not be too far away from now.

Thanks for reading.

8 Likes

So great to hear that you are actively working on this again. Reallyā€“itā€™s an amazing hack and Iā€™m so looking forward to hard mode and supports. Thank you for all your efforts with Phantom King!

5 Likes

Awesome! This hack has a lot of potential, and with a bit of polish, I would definitely consider it to be among one of the better ROM hacks Iā€™ve played.

Did want to add a small note about an exploit I found. Although Lennard cannot promote with the normal lordā€™s crest, Kathleen can. However, she also gets force-promoted later in the story, which means that Kathleen got the massive promo gains from the great lord class twice. This left her with capped speed, strength, and skill, and made her instantly the best unit in my army. (Whoops!)

Also, is Lenardā€™s prf tome supposed to be dark? I promoted to holy knight, so I canā€™t use it :confused:

Edit: Restarting Chapter 22 repeatedly gives Phelip his Howling wind prf

1 Like

Looking forward to the next update. I played this when it first came out and was pleasantly surprised at the quality and detail of the lore and story and everything. Good luck with the final touches!

2 Likes

Hello. First of all Iā€™d like to say Iā€™m having a fun time playing your hack!

Unfortunately, my game is crashing on Chapter 6 while promoting Jennica at the beginning of the chapter so I cannot progress. If it helps I believe I have 3 recruit promotions lined up (Thina & Roderick?) and Iā€™m using the mGBA emulator.

[I cannot include links or embed images as a new member so Iā€™m unable to show the screenshot of where it happens.]

Hmm, so, there is this bug where the game crashes if you promote a character whoā€™s holding a shield. Did you perhaps equip a shield on Jennica? If so, then that might be the problem. This also means that youā€™re probably soft locked, since you canā€™t swap weapons before the trainee promotion pop up I believe. If it is not the shield, then Iā€™m not really sure whatā€™s causing the crash.

Iā€™m sorry for the inconvenience :sweat:

4 Likes

I did! Thatā€™s unfortunate. Thanks for the quick response.

2 Likes

Hello, first of all, thanks for your work on this game, itā€™s fun to play even if the scenario is a little strange at times.
However, I had a problem after chapter 16, it skipped right to chapter 18 without playing the chapter 17, is it supposed to happen or just a bug ?
Thanks in advance.

No, that is definitely not supposed to happen. I canā€™t seem to find the problem thoughā€¦
Is there perhaps some more information you can give me? Were there other weird things that happened during your playthrough maybe?

No, it was the only problem, and actually I was able to play it after the 18. I played 16, then 18, then 17, then 19 and after that it was back to normal, so it was slightly strange but not much of a problem in the end ahah

2 Likes

So playing on easy mode ran into a bug that wonā€™t let me continue the game. It asks Vanessa to rescue ross but surprisingly they donā€™t exist. And as soon as I move the cursor over to the location, the game freezes. What to do now?

Hi, changing the window color breaks the game.

Yeah, I made zero changes to easy mode. Itā€™s buggy as hell and unplayable, sorry.

Yes, this is a known bug. I have no idea whatā€™s causing it.

I am playing your hack, and I have to say I am REALLY enjoying it. I am on chapter 7, and I love how Archerā€™s work. 2-3 brave effect. It feels like I have an archer brigade.

I originally split my team into 2. Sending Kathleen with the Calvary, up North. But when the pirates showed up. I turned Kathleen around to recruit the new members. (Needlessly :person_shrugging:) I had cleared the line, and decided to just follow with the Calvary. Eduard had just promoted, and could make sure no houses were lost. I thought the pirates would be pillage bound, and not aggro.

So plan B was to lure the boss around the town, and launch volleys at the mages in their range. It was going great. Felt amazing, even better with a second archer. And that killer bow, was so sweet. ā€œQuick thiefā€™s, to the shops for more.ā€ But plan B went so South, not because it failed. It went off flawlessly. Pirate set to die, boss lured in for the kill, support staff to weak to help, grinding the arena. But because the second wave had begun. I didnā€™t stick with plan A. Iā€™m not in position to seize.

Now I have to decide between trying to force the gates, against a sheer Calvary horde. Or split and fend off the tougher second boss, half force. And which way does Eduard go? I decide to force the gate. And boy am I glad, I did.

Map design that was already that wonderful, to culminate to that finale. Was sheer bliss. Thank you for that experience.

4 Likes

Cool, thatā€™s awesome to hear!

1 Like

Any update on hard mode?

This is a wonderful hack, I really like it so far.
The maps are fantastic, i.e. in chapter 6 and 7, it is great to have the option to just run through and finish the map, or deal with all the reinforcements. Very well done!

In chapter 10, there are 2 Nomads equipped with a lightning tome, which they cannot use, this is a bit strange.
Also in chapter 10, when you heal Banyu (who is a Nomad), he shows up as a Baron, supported by a Dragon!
I think this is not supposed to be like that, but still funny :laughing:

1 Like

Just started playing cause the premise seemed interesting.
I have 2 current nitpicks already though. The bright screen for displaying unit data, for me at least, is too bright as I am just more used to darker backgrounds. And when I tried changing the color scheme, it crashed my game.

Will there be more options for this in the future?