[FE8] [Complete] Fire Emblem: The Phantom King

Thanks man! I appreciate the compliment!

Hello! Iā€™m enjoying this hack so far, but Iā€™m confused about something. On chapter 5, the guide says theonell joins, and he talks like heā€™s going to join the battle, but heā€™s not in the list of units before or after starting the chapter

Whoops, thatā€™s dumb of me :sweat_smile:
He was supposed to join the party in a earlier build of the rom but I removed him due to the rom reaching the maximum amount of playable units. I had to remove him from the roster in favour of a more plot important character. Sorry for the inconvenience. Iā€™ll edit the guide right away!

Having fun with it so far. One thing I noticed was on chapter 2 I killed the boss but had to wait a turn for it to trigger the ending cutscene. Also just an fyi thereā€™s a lot of typos in here. I would recommend going back and proofreading it. Also if itā€™s not too much trouble, could you include minimugs, talk and supports donā€™t end turns and swapping growths to see what everyoneā€™s growth is in the status menu? Just a few QOL stuff I think would enhance this hack.

Thanks, I will fix it.

Thatā€™s interesting, I proofread it many many times and even had it proofread by someone else. We both did not come across any typos. But maybe they just went over our heads since weā€™re not native speakers. Let me know if typos keep appearing consistently.

Sure, I can do that. But Iā€™m not sure what you mean by include minimigs? Could you clarify?

why? just wondering

Because I like it. :smirk:
I personally dislike stat bloat and this limits units more in how strong they can become. Itā€™s just a preference.

5 Likes

FE3 time :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Hell ye :sunglasses:

3 Likes

i canĀ“t find the link

Itā€™s in patch (I think thatā€™s it)

Yes, you have to click on ā€˜patchā€™ in the OP.

Are there any intended or ā€œcanonā€ promotions for each character?

Nope, not really. Except for Raussā€™ promotion into druid maybe. But, do whatever you like!

1 Like

Is there any growth rates text or something.I need to know about the growth of my characters.

Here you go.

2 Likes

Finished the hack pretty quickly. I didnā€™t know what to expect from a hack that I havenā€™t heard anything about but it was pretty fun and I had a good time.

I liked playing both sides of a war that takes it almost the whole way. Each boss murdered on one party is made more impactful by virtue of having ties to the playables on the party. Special mention to poor Manfred, murdered all his sons and even worse, benched his sole remaining daughter.

Some of the maps were also quite conceptually interesting that donā€™t fall into seize/defeat boss. I thought the chapter 15/16 pair was quite neat where its the same location (shifted slightly) but fought from two opposing perspectives. The race the boss to the exit and the jailbreak+defend map was also pretty neat though at that point units had scaled enough to make it fairly easy.

Special mention to the lategame 3-15 range longbows, deleting an entire squadron halfway across the map was very funny and hey being the lategame, balance isnā€™t exactly a huge concern at this point.

I have to second SuzakuSeven, I also couldnā€™t help but notice there were quite a few typos. An example is ā€˜of courseā€™ being one word the entire time.

MVPs

Mounts were the backbone of both parties. They had the best damage output, good bulk to tank almost every enemy (and even effectives) and of course, high mobility. I brought an almost mounted party to ch24 and endgame (and two longbow warriors because why not.)

The four kings of the run. Very few other units caught up statwise and none of them rivalled these four in terms of both availability and performance across the entire run.
Phantom King-263
Phantom King-264
Phantom King-265
Phantom King-266

Bugs

Ch11 mage knight has no death quote.

Routing chapter 15 clears the map even though it isnā€™t rout, which is an issue because killing the last druid then prevents getting those last 3 chests.

You can get more than one Vengeance by restarting the level.

Some units have no description. I donā€™t check unit descriptions most of the time, but I did find this with civilians ch21, Brutus, Rowan, endgame bonewalker and Theonell.

Not a bug, but I thought it was odd in ch1 a player unit needs to step in front of the 60 HP wall to break it, instead of just reducing the wallā€™s HP to like 10 or something.

Final boss

The final boss appeared to be unkillable.
Phantom King-260
Hitting him at all immediately kills him triggers his death quote, but he then proceeds to not die, and killing him any amount of times does not kill him.
Iā€™ve been told this is likely due to HP overflow.

Not related to the bug is that I feel like he has too much avoid from luck and from throne. Capped skill 15 luck Elena with an iron sword only has 55 hit, a lot of units I brought to endgame were almost functionally unusable against him.

Another thing, the Garleanne family tree in the main post is in much lower quality than the rest and I canā€™t make out the names, I needed it to keep track of who was who.
(Really impressive cast size, canā€™t help but feel that the hack was intended to have maybe 60+ units before ramming into unit cap midway during design?)

7 Likes

Can I have second master seal?
FE8 - The Phantom King_1648016197414
I promote her using master sealšŸ˜”.
FE8 - The Phantom King_1648016196140
He will stuck as soldieršŸ˜”

1 Like

Pretty harsh for the early game I didnā€™t checked & got wrecked.Please be a bit more cautious about placing good weapons very early on the game.

Thanks for playing! Iā€™m glad you enjoyed it.

Thatā€™sā€¦embarrassing :sweat_smile:
I will fix it immediately.

I guess thatā€™s just a product of me not being a native speaker. I really thought it was spelled like that, thanks for pointing that out. I guess I learned something new today :grin:

Yeahā€¦I will probably nerf them in a later update.

Thatā€™s exactly what happened yes. Around 60 characters was the aim until I discovered that there is a unit cap. :pensive:
Theonell was supposed to be playable but I removed him in favor of Theran.

Thanks a lot for your thoughts. I appreciate it.

Oof, thatā€™s sad. The master seal was indeed actually meant for Claye :pensive:

Wellā€¦thatā€™s kinda the point. You are not supposed to fight them but flee from them instead.

4 Likes