[FE8][Complete] Fire Emblem: The Four Kings (4/11/24 Update: Now With Weapon Reversal!)

Yeah, I do have a sequel planned about Lionel’s new adventures, and I wrote up the whole script. Though recently I moved and started a new job, so I’ve been focusing on that more than hacking for the time being.

4 Likes

Thats so good to hear you got a fan right here, hope everything turns good in your new job too

In RR, Candace is bugged, he promotes from villager into a mage using swords, with 0 cap strength.

Whoops, sorry about that. Fixed the bug, and the patch link in the main post has been updated. You should be able to carry over your save file just fine.

1 Like

1 Like

I found a bug in chapter 9.
Bug: Black screen after the conversation of Rhiner about Minas forest
Emulator: mGBA 0.9.3
I used the first checkpoint

Edit. I tried it again in the VBA-m 2.1.4 and nothing happened, the emulator was the problem.

Chapter 19 middle save point crashes my game on mGBA.

Man, I wish I knew why this occurred… I’ll update the warning to just be more general. Sorry this happens. It’s annoyingly inconsistent.

I really enjoy this game but every time I play it I just can’t stand Walter haha. He’s insufferable and does so very little to make Lionel seem wrong for being critical. I think he’s supposed to be charismatic but the scene in the prison I think was supposed to be triumphant for Walter but it just made him look worse. The in game criticism for Lionel makes so little sense to me compared to how awful Walter is and what he does. Do I have a bad read on this? I can’t tell.

1 Like

You’re not really supposed to sympathize with Walter here. He’s fed up with Lionel’s treatment of him, but still ultimately makes bad decisions a lot. Chapter 8 in particular is more of a boiling point to show just how bad he gets without anyone to reign him in. A large point of the story is Walter and Lionel growing as people, so this section of the story is really their lowest point, before they start learning some lessons.

Admittedly, I think this part makes more sense if you’ve lived being the younger brother, which I am. I’ve definitely felt extremely irrationally angry at my brother when I was younger, all the little insults building up over years when you’re both young and stupid. So it might not be as obvious to some in the story.

Hi! I plan to play this game soon (at least after I finish playing around with the Engage DLC lmao) and I just wanted to know if there was a guide somewhere that talks about mechanics, and recruitments since I always try to recruit everyone and not miss important things like weapons and conversations. I’m new-ish to GBA FE (I did play and finish the FE6 in FE8 romhack so I know some of the mechanics) so I would be eternally grateful if I could have something to follow

Recruitments in this game are all very straightforward, so you won’t be needing a guide. Skillsystems also comes with a lot of QoL upgrades, such as being able to see who talks to whom in the stat screen (there’s also a little talk icon that appears when moving a unit around).

As for mechanics, this is largely vanilla GBA + skillsystems. There is a strength/magic split here, but otherwise nothing too crazy. And as long as you check the descriptions for all the personal weapons and read any red text, you’ll understand everything just fine without a guide.

Thanks for creating an accessible system! I definitely think I’m going to enjoy playing since I love the concept of prfs, and I hope to find a few characters to enjoy both gameplay and unit-wise!

Well, don’t give me too much credit. I certainly didn’t create skillsystems, I just used it sparingly. Still, I hope you have fun!

Im liking the hack so far. But yikes, this has to be the first time I have ever felt very annoyed at my main protagonist hahaha. Good job if it was the intention, Im hoping down the line he gets a reality check or something that makes him change his attitude. Aside from his brain and mouth, Im liking it, especially having a Prf weapon for everyone who is joining, thats nice!

I can’t be sure if it’s because I’m late to the party and all the kinks are ironed out, but I loved this game so much. Thank you so much for the time and effort you put into this @KrashBoomBang.

For other FE games I would usually slog it out in the early/middle maps to beef up a few units, and once they’re over-levelled, throw them into the fray and breeze through the end game. For this, I had to pay attention to the tactics for each map right till the very end. I especially liked how each unit presented itself as a different solution to the numerous problems faced in each map, which made the game very strategy, very tactics :ok_hand:t2:

I played on hard mode, and ended up using marcie, chase, patty (métis), zoe (métis), cindy, dorian, lydia, bradley, shaun, sally, terry, shelby, and candace. Special shout out to:

• bradley: mad physical tank, often takes 0 physical damage, even in the final map
  • marcie: mad res tank, genius tool for the bolting problems presented
  • cindy: loved the bow armour, gave her boots
  • terry: res / bow tank with lovely crit
  • candace: she died to king teodros at the very end. sad.
  • chase: horse on promo is chef kiss

will probably do another playthrough and use the characters i left behind!

note: the last map was especially buggy. I had to reset so so so many times … which was terribad.

thank you again @KrashBoomBang !! Intelligent Systems should 100% hire you / pay you big money for this game.

4 Likes

can we have a 100% growth rate patch for this hack?

If you’ve got FEBuilder, you can make it yourself pretty easily.

How would I make a 100% growth rate patch for this hack using FEBuilder I know nothing about how to use FEBuilder! Send me a private message if this place don’t seem appropriate!
Wait I would need to start a new game for the 100% growth rate to apply right?

No, you don’t need to start a new file. You can just edit your rom and the growth changes will apply to your current save file. You can go ask the #febuilder-help room on the discord if you want to get walked through the process.

1 Like