[FE8][Complete] Fire Emblem: The Four Kings (4/11/24 Update: Now With Weapon Reversal!)

Aight, so I found another bug. It, again, appears purely visual but it’s still interesting. Despite Sally hitting the magic cap, she levels up and gains +1 magic. I checked her stats afterwards, and she still has 20 magic.
Leveling up:

And after:

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve noticed this happen before. No idea why only the magic stat does this, but at least it’s just a visual bug that doesn’t affect anything. Also, that is quite a fast Sally!

2 Likes

A big update just in time for the holidays! I’ve updated the main post, which now contains 3 new patches! For vanilla, I added in two new supports: Harriet/Regis and Terry/Wilson. But those aren’t the important things here. What really matters is that Four Kings now has a reverse recruitment patch! The adventures of Brigand Marvin and unpromoted Terril, with their faithful jagen, General Emily! Lastly, I made a very quick 0% growths patch for anybody who wants to play that. Note that Victor retains his HP growth, since it is 100% in vanilla and thus impossible for him to miss it. I hope you all enjoy this little holiday gift package!

3 Likes

Hey, don’t mean to promote or anything (lol). Just wanted to let you know I am doing a YouTube playthrough of the game, and will be providing feedback as I play along. Don’t know if this is of any interest or value to you, but creators of other hacks (Code of the Black Knights and Legends of Avenir) said they found the video useful. Here’s a link if you’re interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AdSJjCu8lg&t=757s

1 Like

Hey, surprise update! @SubwayBossEmmett gave me a cool idea for a new prf, and here it is: the Quickbrand! It has identical stats to a brave sword, but it deals magic damage. Shaun can acquire it by talking to Gideon in chapter 21. I updated the patch link with the new version. image

5 Likes

Soldier has the thing
soldiers-got

1 Like

Yep, I’ve known about that one for a long time. I kept it in because it looked funny, haha. I like to imagine Yufin exploded that guy’s head.

1 Like

Second, the light brand can counter berserked allies. If a berserked unit attacks a unit with the light brand equipped, they can counter and kill the berserked unit :x

1 Like

Now that is something I was not aware of. I wonder if that actually happens in vanilla?

1 Like

Did the update regarding Shaun’s new prf lower his magic growth? I recall it being 40% before but now it is 35%. Was he nerfed because of his new prf? :x

1 Like

No, I didn’t change that. Pretty sure it’s always been 35%, at least for a while. Maybe you’re mixing it up with his skill growth? Or averaging the two of them, since his skill is 45%.

1 Like

Huh. Probably my bad memory >.<

1 Like

I played through chapter 4
The first 3 chapters were really fun, special shout-out to chapter 1, getting that top village was such a rush.
Lionel and Zachary are probably the best units in the game, Walter is fun, but doesn’t really double anything.
I have a huge bone to pick with chapter 4 however. Ambush spawns, in general, aren’t a great idea but ambush spawn mercenaries with rune swords that one round 90% of your cast is seriously un-fun. If you make an updated version at some point, that should be the first thing to go imo.
Other than that, fun units, and fun maps (except for that 4th one)

1 Like

The boss specifically says at the start of the map, in bright red text, that their best guys are gonna show up on turn 11. And the turn 5 reinforcements also demonstrate where they spawn from. That’s telling you not to wait around for them to show up, and especially not to hang around near those stairs.

2 Likes

That’s not “enemies are going to show up that can 1 hit ko your entire cast” that’s “a fun challenge is coming.” Until they spawn and the player realizes “oh this isn’t a challenge it’s a massacre.”

2 Likes

Personally I’ve always hated maps that drop super scary reinforcements on you to make you move fast. I want to play at my own pace, not the dev’s. I haven’t played this hack but if it has a heavy antiturtle philosophy like that I would not have fun. But that’s just me.

1 Like

Let’s see, I can count out which maps actually do this… 4, 8, 9, 10, 13, 17, and 22. Note that 8 and 9 are escape maps, while 10 and 22 have defend as a loss condition. So that’s basically three standard maps that have strong late reinforcements. There’s also 21, 26, and 27 which have hard turn limits, but they’re not too strict.

1 Like

You probably know all this but if you load enemies as a Turn Event (Player Phase), they will show up at the start of pp and not be annoying ambush spawns.

Personally, I do that and I display an icon at the location they will spawn the turn before.

For range event reinforcements, you have to make the range event set a flag and have the turn event occur based on the setting of the flag.
Eg. Start of ch. set flag 0x8 to ON.
Range event - set flag 0x8 to OFF if you cross a certain line and have a completion flag other than 0x8.
Turn event - player phase every turn load reinforcements with completion flag 0x8. So it will only occur the turn after the range event, as you’d set flag 0x8 to complete at the start of the chapter.

2 Likes

I’m content with my reinforcements already.

2 Likes

Do you get anything for saving Daltry? Clearly, there is the option considering he is not on the throne

1 Like