[FE8][Complete] Fire Emblem: The Four Kings (4/11/24 Update: Now With Weapon Reversal!)

Nope, Daltry has to die. I considered having an extra scene for if you seize without killing him, where he would corner Lionel, but Zachary would burst into the room and stab him in the back. I ultimately didn’t do it, mostly out of laziness, and because actually getting this scene would be kinda ridiculous when you don’t have sleep on this route.

2 Likes

What are the paired endings for this hack? Can anyone send a list of them as well as scripts if possible? Btw, this hack is great.

1 Like

The paired endings are as follows:
Walter/Ava
Bradley/Shaun
Bradley/Emily
Chase/Lydia
Locritus/Jack
Marcie/Max
Zoe/Vin
Nicole/Luceil
Nicole/Jack
Colt/Hoff
Hoff/Cindy
Regis/Terry
Wilson/Jack
Harriet/Candace
Ron/Jack
Jeremy/Sarah
Jeremy/Gideon

Note that Walter/Ava is always forced, and Zoe/Vin is forced provided that both of them are alive. As for the scripts for them, you can find them using FEBuilder. I’d rather not post them here.

5 Likes

Ok thank you, but I remember there being a Yufin/Shelby ending though. And shouldn’t there be a Max/Alicia ending? They’re married.

1 Like

Oh yeah, they have one too. This list must’ve been from before I wrote that. Either way, you’re best off checking the rom in Builder to see them all.

1 Like

ok thanks

1 Like

Beat the game a short time ago, time to write a review I guess. Really like the game for the most part, some chapters in the mid game is a little bit frustrating, but overall a solid experience.

Units

Lionel: I liked my Lionels in my initial playthroughs so I doubled down on investing into him. Gave him the first angelic robe and dracoshield, and bought him several light brands at the first light brand shop. The payoff is pretty hugh, due to his naturally high speed and avoid, he can carry the early game pretty reliably on enemy phase. Kinda falls off later due to no promo, his speed cap hurts him for like two chapters, and his promoted base speed is not fast enough to double some things. But 30 crit + light brand/runesword makes him one of the most epic end game units I’ve ever used.

Walter: Hector that can’t one round with hand axes pretty much. Really strong prf, really nice bulk, kills everything with the brave axe. Promo getting bows. Late promo hurts him a little bit. Not as dominant as Lionel but still pretty strong.

Shaun: The best unit in the game. He is Lionel but with actual supports and an early enough promotion. He has enough speed to double most things, enough supports to face like sub 20 hit on terrain, and enough magic to one round physical enemies with the light brand until the end of the game. He just needs investment in his bulk, but a robe, a dracoshield and promo more than fixes that.

Bradley: The Saunion man, not as good as Shaun but still fine in his own right. Had to deploy him to support Shaun. Used up all his Saunion but the brave lance works fine as an alternative with his hugh strength. Wish he has slightly more defense so he gets one-rounded by less enemy types.

Ava: Really fast archer, Mystic Bow is an amazing prf that carries her damage output. Longbows are always nice to have due to how enemies are placed, but she can’t double a lot of things with is after her promoted bases. Being a 6 mov unit and 7 on promo is insanely helpful in this game. She’s insanely dodgy, which saved my butt a bunch of time. Also she has some of the best res in the game. I get her berserked in ch10 and she killed all the mages in her area without taking much of a scratch.

Chase: Mediocre mage with low damage and have some speed issues. Mage knight promo is really nice, allowing him to be a decent staff bot. The game doesn’t give you any free good anima tomes mid game, or I missed them, and his crit gimmick being unreliable without supports held him back as a good combat unit.

Yufin: A unit without skill and luck is not super appealing to me. Guiding ring sells for 5000 gold and I need money. Darklight is really underwhelming and also slows him down. Heard he’s a good nos-tank though.

Shelby: Mr I don’t die to shortbows. Never saw the appeal to train him as a combat unit but not dying to shortbows is nice. Summon is weird in this game, enemies archers will still go for your filers over the phantoms for instance. Probably give them provoke to make phantoms more reliable? At this stage summon serves to piss me off and I don’t really want him on my team.

Lydia: Surprisingly good combat unit, really high mag and skill and surprisingly good bulk after promo. Her speed is good for a little bit, allowing her to one round some things mid game. Really strong staff bot late game, with insanely high staff range. Sleep is nice too, one of the only ways in this game to prevent a reset, also neutralizes some long rage stuff.

Max: Mercenary that doesn’t double at base, which sucks. After early promo kinda decent for a little bit. Claymore allows him to be a mage killer, and having hand axes is nice.

Marcie: Mage killer peg with hilariously low bulk. Gets one shot by everything physical unless given a robe or given a tone of levels and promoted. Her life gets easier in the late game due to magical enemies are kinda placed in groups in those, and she sort of becomes a good unit at that point. Wish she had more skill so if I want her to fight something physical, it’s not a gamble everytime. No I’m not spending 1000 gold to give her 4 hit.

Dorian: Dancer with bulk, never got him killed even once so thanks I guess? Wait, he doesn’t have a prf, game unplayable!!

Sally: She has accuracy and great magic chip, but the chip part is usually reversed since everything 2 range will murder her for a very long time. Gave her 2 body rings so she can double with aquas. Decent against some late game bosses. Wish her res and speed progression was higher so she doesn’t get doubled/one shot by bolting earlier.

Cielo: Skyshot is one amazing weapon. One of the best units in the game. Skyshot + Candace is epic 4 range deletion button that ohkos bolting guys, berserk guys, wyverns on mountains, what’s not to like about that? Also mounted brave bow is amazing. Use Hammerne on Skyshot.

Vin: Swordmaster with no skill and 70% hit with killing edge. Rant aside he is pretty good on his route, since it’s the dreaded Lionel route with no sleep and no good mounts, having a unit that doesn’t die is nice. Never saw a reason to deploy him afterwards since he doesn’t kill things on enemy phase, and monsters like Shaun are just as bulky. Got full uses out of the Gauche though.

Zoe: The real Gotoh of this game. Gave her the Metis Tome and she killed everything endgame with her new prf, including the final boss since she does an impressive 10x4. Early game her magic is a bit low and after promo she lacks the skill and con to use light brands so she took some secret booking and more training to get going.

Victor: Pugi guy, decent. Critting on 2 range is nice and decently fast. Used him quite a bit, wanted to use him long term but ended up mounted circlejerking the end game so sold his hero crest for gold :slight_smile:

Ron: Strong but inaccurate, appreciate the strong part since he one shots some enemy types and deals with some tough enemy types pretty well, albeit with less reliability. Useful filler on Walter route.

Locritus: Flier that kills fliers and later horses, but dies to everything else. Pretty good niches for a high move unit. Without him some maps will be hell. Much lower stats than what one would expect from a wyvern rider, gets one rounded by mercs.

Mounted unit with a meh prf and no niche. Decent at first due to Granz one shotting mages and pegs, but that niche goes away as enemies became bulkier and the Granz became a safety hazard more than anything else. Then he became a filler mount with no real niche and struggle to do damage. Opposite arc of Shaun really.

The real bow armor of this game. 1-3 range is really nice for dealing with nasty enemy placements. He can act as a filler tank mid game on Lionel route. Res surprisingly high and with a barrier boost he can even tank mages that double him. Really solid unit.

Cindy: Bow armor, looks like a meme unit, but decent for what she’s worth mid game. Her niche is good 1-2 range or 2-3 range on a decently defensive unit. With most good archers on Walter route, she will have access to good bows exclusively that helps her quite a bit. Kinda sucks on the late game big maps, dunno why I dragged her alone there.

Regis: Decent filler prepromoted staff bot siege tome user. Occasionally useful for killing armors, but combat utility isn’t that great. Carrying around a 20 wt tome is a safety hazard though, but it’s the only way to cheese stuff on Lionel route so still worth bringing.

Terry: Pretty much a mid game pre-promote. 1-2 range berserker is really nice, and doubles slow enemies, can’t take hits but his damage output makes up for it. Not super useful long term but invaluable on Lionel route.

Harriet: Decent pre-promote, solid combat and decent bulk. Good mid game filler.

Patty: The flier I invested in, gave her 2 speedwings and a energy drop. Tinks brave weapons and survives 2 rounds of combat from a BRAVE BOW, really glad I trained her. Hammerned the shieldlance too. Would recommend. Wish marcy had this much hp.

Jeremy: Rewarp - Restore. That’s why restore should be ranged.

Sarah: Crit longbow! Crit longbow! Wish I had a deployment slot for her. Probably should have deployed her over cindy tbh.

Candace: Didn’t use the glitch. Pretty decent for her crit damage output, lightbrand and her personal weapon. Wish her personal weapon is better offensively so I don’t have to trade with her every turn. Forms a deadly combo with Cielo’s Skyshot. +10 damage at 4 range is no joke.

Wilson: Gatling bow is epic, 2 range delete button. No frontlining or anything like that but killing one thing a turn is more than what can be said for a lot of units.

Jack: another sniper I guess, his prf is literally a bow that’s not effective against fliers.

Nicole: Filler staff bot, rescue is nice but 5 uses means she’s only worth deploying for a little bit. Her help is appreciated in the last few maps, especially in skipping (or is this the intended way?) the final map.

Terril: Mr. 17 (or is it 18?), stats’ a little bit shaky for me to place him consistently on the frontlines. I remember his borderline getting 2 rounded on the fow map which is annoying, but you can’t ask too much from a late game pre-promote I guess.

Emily: Didn’t manage to get her to double. Sad. Also deceptively not tanky enough.

Gameplay

The gameplay is certainly a lot better than what I remembered. Early game is pretty solid. Player hit rate is overall consistent enough to pull off risky strategies early game. I used to joke about this game lure me into playing fast and taking risk, then give me a miss and die but that didn’t happen thankfully. And the dreaded escape chapter didn’t give me too much trouble either.

But on larger maps mid game, taking risks in something one can’t really afford. Some maps have save points in awkward locations but on most maps they do provide a reasonable way to deal with bad luck. I have some slight issue with certain chapters since the amount of status staves present pretty much just wastes my healer’s time and I have little way to counteract due to my units’ poor movement in general. Especially on Lional route with no sleep and no christmas cavs and their range weapons. Some map’s reinforcement timing can be awkward if you try to take on the map alongside the reinforcements. For example chapter 14’s boss area.

The late game is probably my favorite part of the game, with all the tools at my disposal and all the mounted units eventually became good, the endgame is fun and challenging at the same time. The reinforcement timing and usage of siege tomes and status staves encourages fast play rather than hindering it. Having objectives that rewards fast play helps too.

One small complaint is I think most enemy types have the same damage value regardless of being fast or slow. This makes getting doubled quite miserable regardless of your defensive stats. That’s why I valued stacking defense boosters on a fast unit like Lionel so much, because speed is just that valuable.

Story and Aesthetics

I like the story quite a lot. Goofy at times and overall a fun journey with a colorful cast. The music works well with the story too.
Oh and I like the snow maps.

4 Likes

Hey I just finished my play through of your game, had a good time with it! This game has a very distinct feel to it, within the map design compared to almost any other FE I’ve played. Very spacious game with a lot of unmoving enemies. The opening couple chapters are all in snow which was very nice aesthetically.
In chapter 10 minas forest you have a split map with essentially two maps that was something I’d never seen before was pretty interesting that was one of the best maps imo and really liked chapters 19 and 24 - I did also like how the main lords promoted through story related choices verses just finding some magic rock or item lol.

MVP was Zoe later on but Shaun and Bradley and Lydia were super strong throughout the whole game- your map design really favours mounts for moving in on non moving enemies. Idk what else to put lol but yea I had a great time playing it !!

1 Like

Glad to hear you enjoyed it! Big maps are definitely my preference, which isn’t a very common sentiment, so that makes the map design stand out compared to other hacks. I tried to model the map design after FE6, and I think that was a good decision.

2 Likes

You ever just commission artwork of your romhack? Check out this fantastic piece by RacecarArt, depicting Locritus and Ian’s scene at the end of chapter 18! https://twitter.com/RacecarArt/status/1360045697756782599

8 Likes

Spoilers? :eyes:
That’s some nice artwork, though :grinning:

1 Like

Hey, here’s something cool! @Derfle made an Alternate Promotions patch for the game today, which you can download at this link. For those that don’t know, AP makes every promoted class swap to the “other choice” like if it were FE8 branching promos. So Chase becomes a Sage instead of a Mage Knight, for example. Check it out, and enjoy!

Animation credits:
Ava animation by St jack
Luceil animation by TBA
Emily animation by 7743, pikmin1211, jj09 and jey the count

5 Likes

He should probably post that as an actual topic so more people can see it.

2 Likes

Did you by any chance change the effect of this item? somehow it shows effectiveness on my cavalry unit. Or this is a bug?

Overall, I like this mod.
Here some feedback:

1. I wish the Valkyrie sprite is not using female Mage Knight Sprite
  2. Is it just me being unlucky with the RNG or the growth rate kinda low on certain character?
  3. I think the healers’ personal weapon is really lackluster. They can only use it only for a very little amount of it (though it is kinda strong but the usage numbers are low if you want to consider it as personal weapon).
  4. The plot is interesting in my opinion, it has some moral value in it and no lame jokes so far.
  5. Maybe this is a hard thing to do with a large number or playable characters, their background are really cool in my opinion but it just kinda most of them are not plot related aside from their recruitment chapter. If you managed to somehow work this out, I bet this mod is gonna be super super cool though. For example, I wish the early Cavaliers Duo and Quartet Mages also separated during the split route to give them the same experience as the main Lords. It can somehow expand their involvement to the plot I think.
1 Like

Yes, wyrmslayers are reaver weapons now. I did this since wyverns predominantly use lances, so having constant WTD with an effective weapon would be lame. I’m glad you’re enjoying the game, and I can answer these questions.

There are actually two Valkyrie classes, effectively. Zoe’s class, which is actually called Valkyrie, uses the female Mage Knight map sprite, and uses swords. Then a unit joins later in the Queen class (it’s just renamed Valkyrie), which uses the vanilla Valkyrie map sprite, and uses light magic. So I had to split up the graphics for them.

Growth rates on mounted units tend to be lower than on foot units, or at least more specialized. I wanted foot units to have overall better stats so that mounts didn’t completely outclass them like they tend to do.

Lydia’s sleep staff and Zoe’s hammerne staff are exceptionally powerful, which is why they’re so limited. It is a bit lame that their personal staves are just ripped right out of vanilla, but the effects they have when you actually use them are fantastic, so I don’t want them to have too many uses.

That’s a really interesting, splitting up groups like that. I tried to keep groups together, with the exception of Victor and Ron splitting up, but I also just don’t have side characters in the story very much. I mainly stuck to the four main characters, which I thought was a good size for the main cast, and wanted to really focus on their relationships. Though if you’re looking for a cast that is all involved in the story, I think I’ve got something in the works that might satisfy this… Not for a while, though.

1 Like

Now I’m wondering how many romhacks have gotten fanart commissions.

1 Like

Just,what’s the point with yufin’s prf?

also…
GJGJG

1 Like

Yep, that’s a known visual bug. I left it in because I thought it looked funny.

Darklight was supposed to be a devil weapon. Strong, accurate, but damages you after using it. Though I was too conservative with its stats, so it falls off quickly. Easily the worst personal weapon in the game. Not that Yufin is really hurt by this as a unit.

1 Like

KBB, are you writing Nino, or are you writing a film noir heroine with Ava?

Also, don’t you dare use FE13 names. I had to go into FEBuilder to fix the Pugi Axe’s name because of your heresy.

1 Like

I’ve made it to Chapter 19 by now. Hope posting this 9 days later keeps this from being a doublepost.

Question: How come you didn’t add in the custom Halberdier portrait that (for example) Road to Ruin gave to its generic Halberdiers? The current hack just uses an unchanged Soldier portrait:

1 Like