[FE8] [COMPLETE] Fire Emblem: Flames of Redemption (Version 1.5 out!)

and now on Ch18 Rebekka just has a -10 strength debuff that won’t go away that is unexplained.

OMG I just beat the game and can I say WOW. I cannot wait for your next installment, I mean the end was left open there for a sequel. :thinking:
I love the twist and I actually was sad by the end like the entire story is just tragic to be honest. I mean I binged through this like I put all my other hacks on hold becuase I couldn’t stop playing it. I am already on my second playthrough. I love like all the characters make me curious about them. Like so many little characters that matter. I plaayed on easy and I still had a little be of challenge early on. Especially the pursuer chapters, talk about rushing me. Cant wait to play this 5-6 more times lol.

2 Likes

What difficulty modes are playable? I was playing on easy and normal and it was just a touch too easy for my taste so I was wondering if hard is playable and tested? Thanks!

1 Like

One of the best hack i ever played. Time for a review :

1. There are very few bugs in here. One of i noticed is that in Ch 16, sometimes if there is only one player member that hasnt moved, the phase automatically ends (it only happens on turn one though, so its not biggie)

2. Story wise, the good things : For once we’re not playing typical heroes and more of a grey area-like faction. But there is also a bad thing that the narrative seemed a bit forced and too complex. I think the story has so many plot twist that it has become a bit repetitive. IMO that Charlie and pursuer thing is unnecessary.

3. Characters are good, Rebekka is a fresh away from typical idealistic hero, though i think it’s better to have deeper support conversations so they can have more character. I think you overdo a little with the edginess though lol. Emil, Patrick, Joseph, Favian, and Ayla you name it, lol. Some needs character depth, but overall it’s good considering this is your first hack, i think? Its very complete.

4. One of the strength this hack have, lots of creativity in the game like the Fleet battle and escape ones. I really enjoy that one.

Well, thats the review. I’d give this hack a solid 7/10. Keep up the Good Work, mate.

2 Likes

So I see Amir and Victoria not seeing their supports on the guide could you tell me who they support with?

2 Likes

I haven’t finished playing through the game, but I’d like to bring up a glitch that honestly kinda ruined the story a bit for me:

Summary

In The Last Stand, Reiner died before I could get to him. The resulting scene of everyone being in shock and awe of his death was honestly very touching… and then he just shows up for the next chapter in the castle?? Like, the game just forgot that he died. I guess it’s a glitch where the game simply put me into the wrong version of the map.

1 Like

Can you make a fixed growth version

1 Like

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it, but Maeve promotes with a Hero Crest instead of an Ocean Seal. Not sure if this is intentional, but the guide says ocean seal and it doesn’t work.

1 Like

Again, sorry for the late replies. You guys know how it is.

• @TheSuzakuSeven Yeah, hard has been tested more than the other difficulties. Definitely give it a try, although you may still find it too easy if you’ve figured out the optimal strategies. There’s also the RR version, which is arguably harder.

• @Joshuafh That’s definitely strange, as I remember getting it to work. But I’ll look into it and fix it in the next version. Thanks for letting me know, and sorry it ruined that moment for you.

• @MercenaryVictor I can’t promise it’ll come out soon, but sure.

• @INeedAName22 This one is even weirder because I remember promoting her with an Ocean Seal many times. Still, the bug may have introduced in a later patch somehow. I’ll look into it!

• @tweetyboy I’m obviously super late. Amir supports with: Sabrina, Gael and Jordan. Victoria supports with Lyla, Ralph, and Gael. I’ll update the guide shortly.

• @Anselmist Thanks for the feedback. Rebekka’s development is a big part of the story. For better or worse, my sole inspiration for this hack were the official games, as I had not played many hacks when I wrote this. But I obviously tried to avoid doing some things that the official games do wrong. I’ve always seen Edelgard as a hypocrite, so I made Rebekka as unapologetic as possible. She never tries to justify her actions or claim she’s a hero; she simply fights to protect what belongs to her. I think the way she sees the world is more like what you’d expect from a sheltered princess. I’ll admit I’m a plot twist junkie, so… yeah, I might have gone overboard. And you’re right about the “edgy” characters. Emil, Favian and Ayla don’t have that much going for them, but I think Joseph and Patrick are deeper than that.

• I’m surprised no one mentioned the -10 STR debuff in CH18 until now. The reason for it is:

spoiler

I actually have no idea why it happens. If anyone knows, please tell me, lol.

1 Like

ahhh I said Victoria, I meant Sabrina :smiling_face_with_tear: don’t hit me I’m sorry Victoria is actually in the guide.

I’m only on chapter 7, so maybe it’s explained later, but why does Roman seem to have low growths compared to other units? His growths are comparable to Reiner’s, a PrePromoted unit.

Probably to make up for how many time he could potentially level up. He promotes twice in the story.

I’d agree if it wasn’t for the fact that the other Lord you get starts with much higher bases and has much higher growths all around.

It’s also to offset his Provoke skill, this is one of those hacks were provoke forces enemies to attack that unit, it causes him to gain exp very quickly and can be hilarious if he gets some good speed levels.

Mine ended up with fairly high speed and luck so very little could actually hit him, the side effect being he killed so many enemies he ended up 10/20/20 by about chapter 18ish.

I’m currently at Chap 21 after the conversation and i got the axe the game turn black.

I found the solution, when the game turn black, just reset the game and resume and you may continue to next chapter :+1:

1 Like

Just finished it! This is one of my favorites at the moment, you actually got me with each and every turn the plot took, I was looking forward to the next part of the story after every chapter. My Roman turned into an absolute UNIT!

1 Like

Yes, I’m still alive. I sure wish my days were longer so I could work at my day job and still have time for all my 300 hundred personal projects, but they’re not. Anyway, here’s version 1.04, with almost no changes aside from bug fixes. As always, the download link is in the OP.

Patch
  • Fixed a bug involving the weapon ranks. For real this time! (sorry)
  • Fixed a few cutscene effects (not all of them).
  • Fixed the glitchy screen at the very end of CH6.
  • Fixed the camera movement in the first cutscene of CH7.
  • Fixed a bug where Emil would not be recruitable if he attacked you.
  • Fixed a bug where Reiner would come back from the dead in CH17 even if he died in the previous chapter.
  • Removed the BGM when using Magni or Heimdallr.
  • Decreased leadership stars from a playable character and gave leadership stars to some bosses.
Guide
  • Amir and Victoria have been added to the character list (I forgor before).

I want to ramble about the future of this (and my other forgotten) hack.

A LOT of words

Sheesh, I don’t know where to begin. FoR was a very personal project that was born from me just messing around with hacking tools a few years ago. Like many other games I made before, I didn’t intend to release it anywhere, and I was honestly terrified of doing so. Thankfully, this community ended up being pretty constructive as far as feedback goes. If anything, it might be a little too kind, if there’s such a thing, lol.

I don’t wish to imply that this hack is a big deal, because it isn’t. It’s amateurish at best. There are still bugs, balance changes, and typos even after a dozen updates. The truth is that it will never be perfect; not even close. I know some people would like to see more updates (such as balancing), but I can’t see myself making many more changes aside from the occasional typo or bug fix. And it’s not because I don’t care about the hack or anything; quite the contrary: I feel like I’ve come to love it despite its flaws.

This might seem like a cope, but I’ve always thought that it’s better to stop at some point. I don’t want to be the next George Lucas and start making unnecessary changes simply to justify another re-edition. I think art is a product of its time. This has always been a personal project, and I suck at asking for help, so it will stay that way. However, any suggestion or feedback is still appreciated, because it’s always nice to know what I did wrong, and I might change my mind or something.

In short, I want to thank this community for being awesome. I’m an introvert, and I don’t really have much confidence, but I hope I can contribute someday. This hack is really special to me for various reasons, and it has unironically helped me grow both personally and even professionally. Right now, I’m working on a game unrelated to FE, but my love for this series is still going strong. So, if possible, I’d still like to work on more projects like this in the future.

Anyway, if you actually read all of this, thanks lol. And for the three people waiting for the next patch of my other hack, let’s just say it’s going to take a while :tm:. It might even come back with a different name…

13 Likes

It’s been some months that I tried FoR (sadly I didn’t finished it), but I liked quite a lot my experience on the hack !

I’m amaze that it was your first released project, because there was a lot of very ambitious things that you handled very well in the hack ! :smile:

spoiler

Like, I loved the twist of the early game and then all the sadness everytime you have to confront your former friends turned foes :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

You have another hack!? What’s it called is it a sequel to this one? I feel like the ending left this open to a sequel.

1 Like

I started another hack this year, but it plays a little bit different.

It hasn’t been updated in a long while, but I’m actually going to release a new version soon, and I’m planning to rename the hack. As for the story, it does take place in the same world, before the events of FoR; just don’t expect a full prequel or anything. I plan to include some characters from FoR and connect both stories in a way, but it’s mostly a new story with a new protagonist.

Eventually, I’d like to make a proper follow-up to FoR… Maybe I’ll get around to it next year.

4 Likes