[FE8] [COMPLETE] Fire Emblem: Flames of Redemption (Version 1.5 out!)

And, I’m sorry but Violet doesn’t have her ending. I hope the herione can have a happy ending.

1 Like

Hello, dear friend. I’m a Chinese and my friends and I like your hack very much. Now I’m translating some parts of your hack(including plot outline and ed) into Chinese privately. Would you please allow me to send material to Chinese website?

Thanks for letting me know about Violet. I wrote an ending for her, but you’re right, it doesn’t appear to show in-game. I’ll fix it in version 1.0.3.

I’ve sent you a private message about your request.

Hey Shiza,

Congrats on the [complete] release. This hack came to me highly recommended by a few folks, and I was in the mood to try something new.

I can tell there’s a lot of heart put into it and I am enjoying the character writing so far. It’s simple, yet the characters all have a distinct voice. I appreciate the snappiness (I know I drone on when I write dialogue). The eventing is also sharp - nice work.

I’ll be cataloging a few notes from my playthrough here for you, use as you see fit:

I’m playing HM. Difficulty rn feels straightforward enough, but I know I can’t get lazy. I love the party composition. It’s super offbeat. Reminds me a bit of Gaiden.

My biggest issues are largely around map flow. The first map felt like I needed to make specific moves to not die and ensure everything hit. I feel like you can reduce the reinforcements here to make it a little more straightforward. The 2nd chapter didn’t have any real reason to move forward - I was able to get to the village well before any brigands spawned. A lot of map space feels kinda wasted since there isn’t an incentive to split up or take a path not towards the village. Chapter 3 has a few periods of really intense pressure, especially if you break the wall. Enemy quality is low enough that their numbers appear worse than they are, but given your general bulk and hit rates, you need some luck to not die here. Again, no anti-turtle so no reason to rush.

While I love the character mix in general, it feels off that there are so many axe dudes when you don’t get Janna until the end of Ch3. I feel like there aren’t many opportunities to take advantage of my units strengths via the triangle or other properties (like fliers for Charlie) early on. The enemy quality is low enough this isn’t a huge issue, but it’s worth calling out.

You may want to consider changing merc class bases since they had non-zero crit on a few enemies. Thankfully I didn’t die, but I very easily could’ve gotten one hit a few times.

There were a few text skips you may want to fix - somewhere in a few C supports and also in Janna’s recruitment.

I’m keen to keep going and will share more feedback as I play through.

5 Likes

Hey Pandan, it’s good to see you here.

I think I got better at punishing the player for playing too slow later on (mostly with villages or new characters in danger), although the later maps do have some other issues. I have say that the early maps aren’t very flexible; I believe there are ways to get through them no matter how unlucky you get, but it may require an unreasonable amount of foresight for a first timer playing HM (despite this, I wouldn’t recommend NM at the moment). People who often playtest it (including myself) have played it so much that we already know what works and what doesn’t, so it’s always nice to see what kind of experience new players have. (I hope this makes sense, lol)

The next patch will focus on bugfixes, so I’ve been taking notes of everything wrong I find, so thanks for letting me know about the text skips.

I’ve seen your work, so your feedback means a lot to me. I hope you enjoy the rest, and I’d like to see more of your comments.

1 Like

Totally get that - I felt similar after testing the heck out of my own early game. I mostly felt the first chapter required a very specific move turn order to win, being more like a puzzle than an FE map. It’s a function of enemy strength and position, as well as only having 2-3 units.

It may be worthwhile to revisit these early chapters now that you’re more experienced and consider redoing them a bit since I bet you could make them stronger, which would help players have a better impression of the game overall.

I played up through ch5 last night. Would’ve loved to have more than 6 units. Lily is level 15 and everyone else sans Janna is hovering around 9-12.

In the fog chapter, is there any dialogue about brigands running away w/ loot? I didn’t recall seeing this, but think it would help add urgency to the chapter since it was a bit unclear. I like the hidden bridge mechanic. I generally liked the rout chapter, but I was in dire straits running out of miriam’s mix. Had to really think about who was taking hits near the end.

I’ll share more as I go through.

1 Like

Version 1.0.3 is now up! This is a small update, but still important. I fixed some bugs that were… bugging me. (I’m sorry)

Changes
  • Emil now has a Ranger palette.
  • Julianne can now summon properly.
  • Fixed a bug where Teresa’s staff rank would sometimes revert back to A rank.
  • CH1 has decreased in size and the enemy positions have been changed so the map flows better, and to make better use of the entire map.
  • Added a new cutscene in CH3 that introduces the brigands that run away with the loot. This gives the player an extra turn as well.
  • Removed the NPC reinforcements in CH15 altogether.
  • Increased Amir’s base STR and SKL considerably.
  • Fixed an event that could be broken in CH15 with a very specific setup, and another one in the Epilogue.
1 Like

The hack was good I enjoyed playing it but some polishing is needed as it looks old to me.

Picking this up again.

The start of Ch6 feels a bit awkward w/ having Janna start by herself - she doesn’t handle this side well by herself so I felt like I needed to wait until the rest of the group could progress far enough to clear space for her to comfortably move. I’d recommend removing some enemies here so she can more easily solo this side. Really though, the larger issue is that she’s by herself here at all - a breakable wall at the bottom or allowing the player to split up their army more between the two positions would do a lot in improving flow on the Janna side IMO. In general every enemy died in one round because I felt really overlevelled.

Narratively though, the twist at the end of Ch6 is incredible. Really well done. Had me fooled. Loved the way it was executed. Nice work.

6 Likes

Hey guys. I don’t have an update for the main patch today, but what I do have is a Reverse Recruitment version of FEFoR. I made it in one day last year, and I’ve decided to release it on April’s Fools day for the memes. You can find the download below the “known bugs” tab.

Since the patch was actually made last year, bug fixes and other changes that were introduced in 2022 are not in this version, with the exception of the weapon rank bugs, and I’m not planning on updating it ever unless someone finds a truly game breaking bug. During my playthrough, I felt that the game was somewhat more challenging despite the overpowered protagonist.

For those who’re familiar with the hack… yes, all the characters have swapped places as you’d expect:

Screenshots (some spoilers):

mugs done.emulator
roman2

It should go without saying that it should not be played by anyone who hasn’t beaten FoR yet. The download comes with a spreadsheet that lets you know who switched places with who.

6 Likes
  • normal two dragon
    charles:don’t even think about attacking me from afar, because it won’t work
    killian:lolno I’ll kill you with javelin and u cant even fight back
  • rr two dragon
    lochlan : danm no ppl have nihil in my team now?
1 Like

Any tips for beating Ch8 reliably?

Have made 3-4 attempts now, and it largely feels like I’m at the mercy of the RNG in a fairly precarious situation given the map setup, enemy strength, and total units in my disposal. Given how low the player count is so far, I’m hesitant to continue w/o a reset.

Specifically, I’d recommend removing reaver crit - I’ve lost 2 runs because of low-percentage crits on reavers. I’d also recommend tuning down the number of enemies here. I pretty much need to keep Rebekka in range of the top general so they get the inspiration buff. The bottom armor dies usually on the first enemy phase. Lily probably could use a nerf.

While I like the setup and chaos of the chapter, the way it’s currently set up leaves a lot for RNG to make or break a run, which gets tiring especially when it’s not only consistent low percentage crits, but also a lot of green unit combat.

I do think you can make it work w/ a few tweaks to give the player more options (removing reavers & reaver crit, nerfing inventories on enemies, beefing up the greens, lowering total enemy #) while keeping the same sort of feel you’re going for. Again I like the general setup and intensity of the moment, but think there’s work to do to help make it smoother to play through.

Hope this is helpful!

4 Likes

Thank you for your feedback.

I do agree that this chapter is unfortunately more RNG dependent than others, but the way I see it is that you either get lucky with the green guys or you have to do it the hard way. Emil’s group is generally easy to deal with, but it’s there to buy Charlie & Co. some time and keep away Roman from the action. I try to deal with the mercs with Roman, Sasha and Sabrina, while the others move north to help Rebekka.

I usually let Rebekka stay in her starting position for a few turns. Green knight will die immediately most of the times which is intended, while the general may survive all the way. Despite not being a defense chapter, it’s better to defend this position and wait for your own reinforcements in turn 5. The AI will act erratically, but the named units should hold their own, even against Lily (one of them also has Provoke which makes things easier). In most cases, I found that the general survived long enough… but not always.

ch8

I like using these two tiles as choke points whenever he failed. Your mileage may vary depending on who got experience last chapter, but Rebekka and Roman (some rescue dropping may help) are usually good choices. Others may have a strong Saif or Sabrina. You can also use the bush near the bottom of the image in some cases.

An alternate, less orthodox strategy that involves luring Charlie and/or Lily to the bottom side (again, with your strongest unit) to buy more time.

Hope I didn’t come off as defensive; just trying to explain the way it works for me when I play, lol. I definitely agree that the chapter is far from perfect and I’ll make some changes. Lily is certainly overpowered and the crit weapons are overkill.

2 Likes

This looks hella interesting! Is this game complete chapter wise or still a work in progress?

Yes, this romhack is complete

1 Like

oh yes with supports and everything?!?

Yep with support and everything

After playing chapter 14 and 15 i have some gripes,

Ch14. there is no good indicator for where you should position marco and agnes after you have them both, marco easily ends up killed due to having all 7 of those Fire Fleets targeting him regardless of the player fleets being in range, even with them all at about 51% hit 4 hits will kill him since they all do 10 damage to him.

Ch15. The sleep staff is overkill considering the high speed of every single enemy on the map of which is 11-16. Every valkyrie also having a mend staff is really bloody annoying due to voice of peace stacking damage downs, which combined with their high speed makes killing them really annoying/hard. Flynn also can’t actually use his Bow so untill the event happens he is completely defenceless.

other random notes include, two provoke users is overkill. Some of the growths of the cast seem incapible of being good enough for what just chapter 15 needs for it. Finally, marco being level 1 is just really wierd.

Marco is a promoted unit, despite his looks and stat caps.

1 Like

Why though, i get not wanting the player to have 2 berserkers but, there are other options. It makes even less sense considering the Pirates can also use swords in this hack, which makes Marco a promoted unit with unpromoted caps who loses a weapon from a promotion he doesn’t have.

1 Like