[FE8] [COMPLETE] Call of the Armor v1 (20 chapters + 3 Character Selection Interludes) + Reverse Recruitment Patch (13-Apr-22)

epic hack linked above

1 Like

Besides this and Bells, are there any other hacks with those Tear Ring Saga style recruitment chapters?

Beat Call of the Armor at last. Wooooo!
In the end, I would say that this was honestly quite fun.

Endgame Team

Call of the Armor_1698200802527
Call of the Armor_1698200723738
Call of the Armor_1698199872036
Call of the Armor_1698199869309
Call of the Armor_1698199866838
Call of the Armor_1698199863909
Call of the Armor_1698199861055
Call of the Armor_1698199858263
Call of the Armor_1698199851781
Call of the Armor_1698199849123
Call of the Armor_1698199845155
Call of the Armor_1698199842343
Call of the Armor_1698199836869
Call of the Armor_1698199828433

(This is Excluding the units that joined at Endgame because they didnā€™t level up).

Except for exactly Venus and Alair; all of them were promoted at level 20. These stats are all natural; no statboosters were used in the making of these units.

Honorable mention goes to Floor, who was not deployed for the final chapter due to space.

5 Likes

With help from @SubwayBossEmmett the Reverse Recruitment patch has been updated! Many errors have been fixed, and units have been rescaled generally assuming level 15 promos instead of 20, as well as other tweaks to make the game slightly more balanced.

4 Likes

Bug report:
Somaā€™s spirit hammer prf is not effective vs. mage knights, who wield anima magic. Itā€™s effective against druids, who wield anima magic as a secondary magic type, so I assume that this is just an oversight.
Iā€™d post an image of it here, but, uh, I canā€™t yet, since my account is too young.

The spirit hammer is supposed to be effective against all magic users.

Even, say, bishops, who donā€™t use anima?

Correct. It appears the issue with mage knights is that itā€™s only set to be effective against female mage knights.

The removal of proc skills should probably also be added to the list of changes from vanilla fe8, especially since that can affect which classes you decide to send units into (e.g. Vectar).

2 crash reports:

1. If Killian receives his Prf in Ch. 10 and checks his inventory before ending his turn, the game will crash once his turn ends. This might be tied to using the B button to end his turn instead of clicking Wait? Iā€™m unsure.
  2. Venusā€™s talk convo in Ch. 19 consistently crashes the game if she accepts her Prf. I thankfully savestated right before doing it, so I was able to do some testing. Specifically, the crash happens after the message saying sheā€™s received her Prf disappears. If she says ā€œNoā€ instead of ā€œYesā€, the game continues as normal, but she doesnā€™t get her cool Prf and special thing. Either way, you donā€™t get the fili shield that the boss is supposed to drop (unless you steal it beforehand), which is a bit lame.

Iā€™mā€¦ very curious as to how 2. got past playtesting, seeing as how itā€™s a pretty easy convo to get and the cool and interesting option crashes the game every time you select it.

My emulator is mGBA, if thatā€™s relevant.

I have a save file from right before the Venus crash that I can send to you on Discord upon request, but I canā€™t upload it here.

My Venus was unpromoted, which could be a condition for the crash. Pushwall didnā€™t get the crash, and his Venus was promoted.

EDIT: Uh, an additional bug report: Vectarā€™s ending gives him the correct title of ā€œOld Swordsmanā€, but uses the description from Dozlaā€™s ending in vanilla fe8.

EDIT 2: Talking to Sovnya with Ikech in ch. 17 plays Geirhardtā€™s interlude 1 dialogue, complete with the yes/no choice about whether or not to recruit him. I havenā€™t checked to see whether or not saying ā€œyesā€ silently adds him to your roster or if it does nothing.

This is clearly further proof that nobody uses Ikech. /j

I have finished this hack at last. Overall it was a nice experience, the story was obviously a bit messy due to the nature of the project, at times I wasnā€™t sure if I was supposed to take things seriously or not which I personally didnā€™t like. Daisyā€™s chapter in particular was kind of ridiculous because I didnā€™t understand a thing and her getting a PRF named ā€œCroissantā€ was certainly something that happened. However, there were many characters I liked and the majority of maps were entertaining to play. Difficulty seemed fine until chapter 17 or 18 were I really struggled. The amount of enemies and gimmicks was a bit over the top, but I managed to complete it in the end.

MPVā€™s were Geirhart, Floor and Fernandez. Geirhart in particular was a joy to use as a Berserker. Also his backstory was pretty much awesome.

Overall I liked this hack, so thanks to the team! Iā€™ll go play the sequel soon

3 Likes

Hey there. Iā€™m pretty new to the FE romhacking scene, having only played two so far and one of them being Vision Quest which was great. Associated links brought me to your other romhacks so I thought Iā€™d try this one out, but Iā€™ve run into an issue very quickly. Iā€™ve tried both VGA and mGBA buit I run into the following issue on both.

About every 1-2 minutes, the game will lock up. Unit sprite animations still sway around, but the game stops responding and the music hitches and for all purposes becomes softlocked. Restarting the rom and resuming chapter fixes it, but only for another minute or two. Iā€™ve made it to chapter 3 hoping it might work itself out, but nothing so far. It doesnā€™t seem to happen during intermissions, NPC conversations or supports, only when actively scrolling around the map or entering battle. Save stating seconds before a softlock will always lead to that softlock.

I made an account just to reach out, since I keyword searched the thread to see if anyone had similar issues and couldnā€™t find anything. This might just be an amateur mistake on my part but Iā€™ve never run into anything like this before and browsing around I canā€™t find anyone reporting similar issues. So far itā€™s only happened with this rom. I really like the concept of telephone FE and like the protagonist so Iā€™m hoping itā€™s just a setting Iā€™ve missed.

Iā€™ve never heard of such an issue.

this is just me spitballing, so take it with a grain of salt, but later versions of mGBA at least seem to have some weird issues running FE in general. If you havenā€™t already, Iā€™d wager trying a version of mGBA below 0.8.4 and seeing if that changes things at all.

That worked! I appreciate the help a lot. Plays up to 6+ without issue now. Iā€™ll be sure to come back with final thoughts once I finish the hack.

Very much enjoyed this hack. After an initial playthrough, hereā€™s my team, thoughts, and remarks.
Iā€™ve never written a review before, so I canā€™t offer a ton of useful feedback but I can give my honest thoughts.

Casualties

Seer

Final Team: (Forced Sorties)

Kuija: Level 10 Baron.
Finwald: Level 18 Great Knight.
Alessia: Level 18 Falcoknight.

Final Team (Player Selected Sorties)

Geirhart: Level 5 Hero
Sovnya: Level 4 General
Floor: Level 6 Ranger
Srikhandi: Level 11 Ranger
Liam: Level 10 Ranger
Gu: Level 6 Wight
Ansha: Level 7 Assassin
Maluj: Level 3 Ranger
Luan: Level 6 Gorgon
Alair: Level 7 Sage
Kilian: Level 6 Swordmaster
Daisy: Level 3 Paladin
Adione: Level 5 Ranger

Hack Notes (Praise)

Excellently placed shops amidst the chaos between chapters.
Master Seals were readily available for purchase at most, instead of hidden away within secret shops and thus allowing great experimentation from chapter to chapter with new units and team combinations.

ā€œOPā€ Weapons like Longbows and even Ballistas were available for purchase, which by my
team layout Iā€™m sure you can imagine I took ready advantage of.

The gameā€™s story was well thought out and coherent enough to follow and keep me invested,
sometimes leading me to forget it was a telephone project at all.

Initially I was a little disappointed about lack of getting to know characters but given the idea behind the project that was understandable. The Talk options during chapters, final quotes on the last chapter, and unit endings made up for the lack of support character exposition. (Which again, given the project idea itā€™s understandable there was no supports!)

My favorite chapters were 7-10, with the chaos all blending extremely well together and
leaving a memorable experience. I thoroughly enjoyed every chapter though, very few left
me with any negative feelings.

Level designs were all excellent, with each one feeling unique without departing from the
realm of possibility. There was never a feeling of ā€œhow did we get hereā€ because the
explanations were always concise and logical. Maps had clear text that pointed out shops,
recruitments, when reinforcements would appear and what to expect. It was signposting
that felt a little silly, but wasnā€™t unwelcome. It fit well with the narrative.

The R button examine of enemy soldiers, generals, allied units, weapons, and unique classes
alike all felt silly but detailed and deserves appreciation.
Thanks for making me feel bad, chapter 10.

Hack Notes (Criticism)

Iā€™m a very bad Fire Emblem player. Iā€™ve played since childhood with well over 500 hours in
Sacred Stones on my original GBA from middle school. However in all that time, Iā€™ve never
improved beyond the abilities of a basic newbie and constantly have healers and archers
die due to my negligence. The reason I bring this up is because Iā€™m going to comment
on the romhackā€™s difficulty, but my experience may not follow what traditional veterans
feel or experienced themselves, so take it with a grain of salt.

The game was outrageously hard near the start, with me having to restart countless times
during the early first 5-ish chapters. Once I gained a foothold it became more bearable,
but later on I felt myself relying more and more on cheese. (And some dry red wine)
This was only compounded by some unlucky RNG growths that left Daisy with 0 defense by
level 10 Recruit. I wish Growth Modes were an optional toggle for 100% for babby players
like myself, but I have no idea how easy things like that are to implement.
If I was able to beat it with enough persistence though, Iā€™m sure anybody can.

There was a lack of weapon options late game. Not that I want it to rain down S rank tomes and
blades, but I felt like there could have been more variety. It wasnā€™t an impossibly
small lack of options by any means, and the game was still enjoyable with the selection
available. The idea of berserk ballistas and sleep bows more than made up for it. But
I wouldnā€™t have minded an S rank goddess Gaiden Bow or something. :stuck_out_tongue:

Additional Notes

I tried to cheat a bit and used the nut on Alderich to reduce his level by 4 in hopes of him
promoting at level 10 Pupil, but it seems you either intended on players doing this or hardcoded him to level 20 Pupil. Props to you either way.

Bugs

The Kamuthā€™s name goes a bit wonky when viewed in the Supports menu. (But in all seriousness, I didnā€™t
encounter anything noteworthy outside of my initial issue. Solid QA!)

Final Thoughts

Very enjoyable experience. I canā€™t wait to dig into the sequel right away. My original trouble
trying to get it to run properly was probably my own doing, and Iā€™m glad I persisted and got it working.
Everyone did an amazing job, I hope you each continue pursuing future projects with your talents.

3 Likes

Thanks for playing.

I tried to cheat a bit and used the nut on Alderich to reduce his level by 4 in hopes of him
promoting at level 10 Pupil, but it seems you either intended on players doing this or hardcoded him to level 20 Pupil.

Iā€™m not sure I follow on this one. Alderich is in the tier 2 (same tier as other promoted units) Pupil class, or ā€œHyper Pupilā€ class. That class cannot promote.

I finally gave this hack a shot after a friend of mine recommended it and I have to say this has been a blast.

I really liked the unit diversity- almost every unit had something unique and fun to their name, which really makes me want to go back to it and replay it using different units. Chosing between having a dancer or a 1-2 range brave reaver tome was similarly a really cool choice to make.

Will be checking out the sequel shortly!

Great work!

5 Likes