[FE8] Cerulean Coast (20 chapters + 5) Act 2 Complete!

Once you have created some nice data, please publish it here and freely available to everyone.

1 Like

Finished the demo a bit ago and I thought I’d give my thoughts/feedback. To give a brief summary before I go into details, I enjoyed it. I especially enjoyed the humor which was right up my alley. Descriptions were a joy to go through.

The main thing I wanted to cover was one specific glitch and a couple writing things. First, the chapter 4 “visit” doesn’t work and just softlocks the player. As for writing, I just wanted to comment that I think the story transition from 4 to 5 onwards is a bit jarring. Not necessarily in terms of tone, but in terms of just presentation. It feels very sudden to just meet up with these people Tower knew and, unless I missed something, only have implications of some vague things in Tower’s past. Not to mention it being unclear about Krynia’s importance. Final thing which isn’t really a glitch, but I think the chapter 6 pre-chapter events are out of order as before Ellerie talks about everyone being alright, Pomelo and Andros are randomly talking about the crates (iirc).

Criticisms aside, as I said, I really enjoyed the hack so far and I look forward to what is in store for the future.

2 Likes

Glad you enjoyed it!

I’ve never had problems with the visit scene myself, but I saw someone else have a different bug with the same event so its probably just poorly implemented, I’ll have to change it in the next update.

You’re right that 5 is jarring as a whole, it was a victim of me trying to cram too much story beats while meandering for the first 4 chapters.

The scene in 6 should be swapped, its a jarring transition.

2 Likes

I could be wrong as I haven’t gotten around to playing the demo yet, but if you haven’t had bugs with the scene, it could be an emulator issue. I can see from the the screenshots that you’re using the text rework, which seems to have varying compatibility with different emulators. Specifically, a scene in my recent demo plays fine on mGBA but is buggy on vba.

Again, I could be wrong, but I thought I’d throw that out there.

1 Like

Appreciate it, no idea that text rework had varying compatibility on different emulators.

A lot of emulator-specific issues do have roots in poor eventing or implementation though, so it’s possible that my janky methods just kinda sucked.

1 Like

Not sure if it’s different emulator compatibility so much as different emulators have different tolerances for how many commands they can take before it starts to bug out.

My event that bugs out on vba is also one that uses the low layer text command to allow BGM changes and sound effects without despawning the portraits, so that may contribute to the bugginess on my end.

Even in the original Deity Device (without text rework) I had written three or so text sequences that were so long the portraits wouldn’t animate (no blinks or mouth movement) and I had to break them up into multiple text entries in order for the portraits to work. And I didn’t even know how to use the low layer text commands when I made Deity Device.

It probably has to do with the game running out of memory to run the event, but I’m really not the person to rely on for technical information.

In any case, good luck with your hack going forward.

1 Like

Don’t know if it helps but I use VBA-rr. Hope that may help clarify if it is an emu issue which sounds like it is.

1 Like

Make sure you’re using VBA-M as regular VBA is and has been dated for many years at this point. Either that or stick with mGBA, those are the only GBA emulators I trust for accuracy and performance

Didn’t want to update this soon without meaningful progress, but there was 2 pretty significant bugs that needed to be fixed.

• Using hasten on anyone that wasn’t the shaman with animations off caused bzzzzt.
  • Visiting the staircases in ch4 crashed if you were not using mGBA caused bzzzzt.
  • Bunch of typos and minor fixes I’ve lost track of

There was some changes for the next update that came early due to priority bug fix:

• The footlocked 5 move melee units have a bit bad as they lack some of the bullshit utility some other units do, so they’ve all been give slight buffs.

• Iosaf now has more STR/DEF/RES in stats and growths.

• Whipjack has more HP/SKL/DEF in stats and growths.

• Telon now has extra level to grow.

• Vermillion now has 1 extra damage on his prf (functionally 5 extra damage of course.) So he doesn’t need to level str to annihilate certain low defence units.

Chapter 7x, 8 and 9 and functional gameplay wise, but still have a lot of dialogue to be written. Expect a release at 10 chapters closing off the Act 1 either this month or next month.
Still enjoying FEE3, got some real cool stuff this year.

8 Likes

3 new chapters + 1 interlude chapter, closing off the first act.
As usual, same link in the main post.

The broken sword in ch1 makes it’s triumphant return.
Cerulean Coast.emulator-26

I finally get the mini ‘avatar’ in the hack. Allows class choice and two skill choices.
Cerulean Coast.emulator-29

Randomwizard helped write dialogue for the hack and made the ch12 map, an absolute legend.
Special thanks to Sterling for updating Tower and Lindros mugs.

Summon Rework

The summon is no longer a green unit, and instead a blue unit with an existent HP pool. However, the unit being killed will reduce the summoner’s move by 1, resetting at the end of the chapter

The log summon got a new niche:
Cerulean Coast.emulator-27

Promotion Changes
  • All units can promote on map without promotional item, though this only affects Gecko/Krynia at the moment

• Promotions for normal units will be unlocked at a later chapter.

• Gecko and Krynia’s tier 0 classes now has class caps of 13.

Character Changes
  • Whipjack lost his mobility skill to better do infantry things, that is, make thing dead.
    Cerulean Coast.emulator-30

• Rohesia got a growth buff even though she doesn’t need it because I want grandma swordmaster to be even more awesome

• Gecko got -10% to offensive growths. Won’t change the fact she’s still gets broken too quickly, but might delay it by a chapter.

Item Changes
  • Door keys and chest keys have been merged into skeleton keys, which do both.
    Cerulean Coast.emulator-32

• Short bow lost its galeforce effect due to the ballista also triggering it. Instead, it now has really high accuracy to enable Yvette’s Quick Rain.

• As promotional items are gone, trainee seal has been replaced by a fairly useless item.

• Pure water has been replaced by a buff item that gives +6 spd buff.
    Cerulean Coast.emulator-31

What's Next

Interlude 10x is fully written, and ch10-14 are functional. However, I have a serious writing debtto cover before I can release that section.

An upcoming chapter, a battle against some familiar faces.
Cerulean Coast.emulator-34

I’d love any feedback on the hack, here or in the discord.
If there’s any bug or typo you saw, odds are its not been reported. I’d always like to know!

19 Likes

Vermilion Valley when

Skeleton keys?? Very cool

4 Likes

Had to do an obligatory hot fix to patch some bugs.

The important change is that Kyrnia doesn’t get put into her promoted class if she wasn’t promoted at the end of ch10 (and thus lose out on some minor promo bonuses).

1 Like

Very happy to see a new update of the project ! Will be sure to try the new chapters and mechanics ! :smile:

1 Like

A needless bug fix update for something really obvious, the yes/no choice at 7x both lead to game over.
Skipping the event prevents this but technically this is ‘gamebreaking’ so I need to cover it.
Thanks Alguien for catching this.

5 Likes

Hopefully the last bug fix update for this stretch and no more clogging the thread with chapter-less updates.
Thanks to Alguien and L95 for catching bugs and typos.

Reason this post was made was that ch10 had an issue with how airship weapons were being saved for future chapters and it also empties out less quickly.
I suggest updating the patch before ch10, same link in main post.

3 Likes

Thanks to you for making such an awesome hack. I had a blast playing it.

1 Like

Was hoping this release would contain more than this, but with exam period around the corner, this will have to do for the FEE3 release version, same download link.

This update contains 10x, 11 and 12. RandomWizard volunteered to make me the map that is currently ch12, absolute legend.

Iosaf gets a new prf which in Cerulean Coast fashion, starts off way too good.
Cerulean Coast.emulator-10

Finally got to add my favorite kind of mage, the sneaky ones.
Cerulean Coast.emulator-12

Fixes

-Fixed oversight where promoted hit exp was reduced from being +20 to +5, but kill exp was not resulting in serious exp bloat.

Balance changes

-Terrain avoid reduced across the board
-Tomes cheaper to be near identical to physical weapons
-Units with 100% HP growth now have 105%
-Made ch3 easier, talisman villager doesn’t require peg flight to get
-Mince can use ballistas so Yvette isn’t required for them
-Magic swords can no longer crit
-Ship weapons nerf pre-emptively for when airship makes a return

14 Likes

It is Time 4 Thyme :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I decided that now where the FEE3 started it’d be a great opportunity to finally test out this hack. I was immediately hooked after that amazing trailer and am excited for the upcoming video. The setting of a pirate crew (or a hack that takes place in a sea like territory) sounded great and is something we will never see in the Original Games. Sea and Snow maps for example are here and there in the games but became a lot rarer over the years. Aside from the Ilya route none of them stay a long topic either. Definitly going to mix up things from the standard formula. The way Ellerie summarizes her journey in letters also gives fresh wind and I gotta give thumbs up for that worldmap. Story is also told fast and good, I’m into it.

So far I have played the first two chapters.
From my first impressions the units are just as special as the things I saw in the presentation last year. Can’t wait to get that epic Chicken with its Astra Weapon (the timing on the trailer was PERFECT, never thought a Chicken would hype me up so much).
Everyone has something useful while not being too complicated and with alternatives to use. The tools you gave the player are immediately required to make it out of the first map as fast as possible while getting all the treasures. The changes with the Weapon Triangle and overall increased hit will be interesting.
It was a great first chapter!

Mince and Pomelo died due to my greediness but chapter 2 was still more than beatable.
Unlike the first chapter it is a much more chill escape map but it still punishes you if you go to slow. I like that especially since mistakes like I did (taking too much time and attacking the OP reinforcements) are possible and teach you that turtling will bite you back. I like to play with Permadeath if I can and so far I got the feeling this here’ll work out.
All units have to be used to their best in order to proceed but small mistakes won’t bite you too hard. Awesome. I wonder if Bettys Boys don’t appear if I hadn’t killed their mother?

Oh er about the Elixier

Sorry, pal, if I knew you’d give me one I’d never bought one during preps. Not gonna miss that Sleep-Staff.

I haven’t played as much special takes on the GBA games so far and this one could burn itself into my memories for good. So far Tower and Lindros are my favourite units. Staff Axe Jagen good and the idea behind the Lunge-Warp with the Guidance Personal is AMAZING. It gives you so much unique maneuvers.

Funnily Lindros reminds me of Taion from Xenoblade Chronicles 3, has a similar role and seems to have a similar character as well. This is a cool coincidence since he is one of my fav characters of that game as well.

Lindos
Taion

I also can't wait to see how Gecko will turn out after I trained her. Earlygame Galeforce Units are so much fun. And I think if they stay Infantry they'll be balanced enough compared to their Dark Flier origins. Speaking of, villager is a Trainee Class isn't it?

(The icons of the items look so good.)

One thing I don’t understand is how to use the “Fire Tome.” The game doesn’t give me enough info about it. Or I missed it. Why can’t Lindros use it? Is it only able to counter? Does the attack hit allies as well?

3 Likes