The aftermaths of a failed succession struggle has one of its conspirators, our fortunate protagonist, Ellerie, be driven from her home. She sets sail for the Cerulean Coast, a new frontier yet to be conquered by any nation. Yet these untamed lands won’t be so kind to a newcomer, and her old friends and enemies won’t be as far away as she believes. And thus begins this coastal adventure!
Don’t worry, that introduction was as nauseating to write as it was to read.
I’d appreciate any thoughts, comments and feedback on the hack, for polishing a hack is never over.
Of course, if you see any bugs or typos, please do inform me so I can crush them with extreme prejudice.
Features of the hack:
- A distinct playable cast each with 1 or 2 centralising skills
- A vastly expanded weapon selection
- Handy prfs, including cannons, cooking utensils, and more!
- Interactive town maps with quests, deals and secrets
- Universal infantry shove, universal mount canto+
- The ol’ QoL grab bag: viewable growths, view enemy range, talk bubbles, etc.
- Boats guaranteed, including boat maps, fleets, landboats and skyboats
- Build your own monster to whom you can give a funny name
Download the patch from here!
- Promotion doesn’t reset level, max level is 30
- Weapon triangle is +/- 30 hit, +/- 3 damage
- Weapon hit is higher, terrain bonuses are slightly higher
- Supports are fixed, with all bonuses granting 1 dmg/dmg reduction, 5 hit/avoid
- Trade/Give/Take are free actions
- Leadership stars give a flat +3 hit to allied units
- Bows with the might of axes (I am biased towards archers)
All mechanical changes here are also listed in the Guide section in the hack
The Path Ahead
We will see how poorly these age!
- An end goal of 20ish chapters
- Definitely aiming for 50 units
- More funny skills (or dumb, depending on your sense of humour)
- Distinct maps with their own twist
- More big and scary weapons
The general plot outline and future units have been planned out, and most weapons implemented. We’ll just have to get there!
Why Make Hack?
Thanks to good friend who unfortunately passed the curse of Fire Emblem over to me, I found myself very interested in this form of strategy rpg, with its simple mechanics, easy to calculate numbers and fast pace (at least in comparison to a lot of other rpgs.)
I ended up diving into the rabbit hole that is Fire Emblem hacks, starting with the big name release titles of 2020, such as Vision Quest, and there are many hacks with which I have had a more fun experience than even mainline titles.
After playing a lot of hacks, and talking a lot about hacks with a group of pals, I got a good grasp on what kind of ‘fire emblem’ I like. Some of that includes characters having incredibly powerful skills rather than ones that don’t matter much, limiting random chance/poor information screwing over the player and canto+ (it’s one hell of a drug).
So I thought, why not give it a run? And a very long time later, here’s the result.
I assume basically everyone reading this post knows, but can’t hurt to have it here again.
- Acquire FE8 rom
- Acquire NUPS from Fire Emblem Shrine :: Patchers
- Patch the FE8 rom with the downloaded patch using NUPS
- Regret life choices
Unit Recruitment List
If a unit is not stated on this list, then they will join automatically. (Most of the cast!)
Chalice: Visit the left boat door in chapter 3
Telon: Talk with anyone in chapter 3
Francisca: Talk to Johnny Spices to receive his quest in 3x, then visit the right staircase in chapter 4 to find her, she will then join in chapter 6
Vermillion: Visit right house in chapter 4
Iosaf: Defeat him in chapter 4
Whipjack: Talk with anyone
Murky: Destroy the discrete pile in chapter 8
Chixin: Bring the broken sword to the fire pit area
Basil: Talk with anyone
Foxberry: Defeat the fire dragon in chapter 14
Joyful Jo: Talk to Whipjack in 14x to receive his quest, then visit the tile in top left section of ch15 between two armories, then defeat him
Hagendire: Talk with anyone
Oren: Open his cell door or talk with anyone
Lilac: Open his cell door or talk with anyone
Zububai: Talk to Rosswick in ch17x to receive his quest, then visit any grave tile in ch18
Special thanks to 7743 for making FEBuilder exist, which really broke down the barrier of entry for incredibly dumb people like me.
Which also means technical issues, and I greatly appreciate 7743 (what a legend), Epicer and Vesly for helping me solve them.
Thanks to Team Distant Roads for being nice people, helping me out and encouraging me along the way.
Playtesting by various kind individuals, Godspetturtle, Loog, Bpat, Roze, Randomwizard, Leche, Mournfulrelic, Xilirite, Dainn, etc.
Thanks to Mournfulrelic who saved me quite some time by making a few mugs for me.
Shoutout to Sdaht for doing some of my unit palettes to feed my desire for laziness
Credit to Turtle’s magic deck for inspiration for ideas.
I couldn’t have even thought of making a hack without all the cool stuff made by the hacking community, whether it be portraits, cool tech or art assets. The sheer size is too long to post here directly, so here it is below.
Like every other hack in existence, I have a server.
It’s where I will in theory release new playtest patches and announce progress, but we’ll see about that one.