[COMPLETED][FE8][29 Chapters] Grug 2: Grug's Prehistoric Truancy

Old Post

Greetings.

I’m Rye on Speed, lead hacker of Team Stoned Stoners, a hacking team consisting of a ragtag team of people who happen to have an array of talents.

You may have seen or played our previous work, Grug’s Primitive Disadventure, a decently sized romhack centering around the escapades of Grug, an awakened caveman, and his motley crew of weird characters, featuring a large dose of weed.

For 5 months now, I’ve been working on a sequel to this rocktastic hack, Grug 2, which will feature a distinct lack of Grug.

Ok, wait, before you click off the page and look at a different project, give me a chance to explain myself here.

It has been one year since the events of Grug’s Primitive Disadventure, and the world was finally at peace…or was it? Grug has…disappeared, and nobody knows where the heck he is! However, at the same time, major geopolitical events unforseen by this world have taken place that will change the fate of human history…suspiciously aligning with the disappearance of Grug. Follow the small-town farmer Erdreich, a once unassuming bystander, and his newfound companion, the not-so-accurate but strong marksman, Tagerine as Tagerine takes the two on a quest to not only escape a world now consumed by war and chaos, but also to find Grug. Along the way, you will uncover many secrets about the world that Grug inhabits, and face new threats, find new friends, and maybe even laugh a little at how seriously I’m taking a shitpost. In the end, only you can help Erdreich and Tagerine find Grug and uncover the true powers that lurk in the shadows.

So that was a lot to take in, I hope you’re still with me here.

So Rye, why did you decide to do this?

Thank you, strawman for the audience I created! Well, it really came down to the fact that I wanted to do more with the world I setup with Grug (I’ve put way too much thought into this joke and now I can’t get out of it), so this time, I decided to go with a more wack plot that’ll probably involve a lot more than what Grug showed, so I hope you’ll have fun with that.

When will this be released?

I ain’t timing myself, but I really do hope to get this done by this year, we’ve already made some very good progress, and we’re currently just on the brink of starting the last arc of chapters.

Where’s Grug?

You will have to see for yourself.

How relevant is Grug 1 to this?

Ehhh…it’s pretty relevant, I’d say to go ahead and play the hack now if you haven’t if you wanna get the full story, although I do offer a synopsis of Grug 1 within this hack, so it’s really up to you. There are some jokes that are dependent on you having played Grug 1 before.

Features!
-An all-new memetastic plot from the schizoposting genius mind of yours truly! (Actual funniness may or may not be included in the final product)
-A soundtrack composed by the great composer MemeTzar! (Tzar wants me to tell you all that all the music in this game is F2U/F2E)
-The amenities of modern hacking, everything from universal range to the str/mag split (aka the stuff everyone expects anyway)
-A cast consisting of a mix of old friends, old enemies, new friends, new enemies, and a turtle.
-An array of custom classes that will definitely make you question what the creator was on when making this hack!

And now to introduce our main protagonist, Erdreich!
Erdreich_rework_V1
I think some of you may remember seeing a pic of him in the Grug 1 thread! This is our new protagonist, the farmer Erdreich! He’s a massive tea addict and speaks in the most stereotypical midwestern accent I could conjure in my small brain! A normal man in a strange world, how will Erdreich adapt to all this weirdness that comes with being involved in the world of Grug? (Note: There is no isekai in this story)

And welcoming back an old face, Tagerine!
Tagerine
Tagerine never really had that big of a role in Grug 1, which honestly disappointed me considering how much I love his character concept, an archer who never learned how to hit. So now he’s back, as this hack’s Jagen! Tagerine’s on a quest to find Grug, and certain events will lead him to meet up with Erdreich and strike up a partnership with him. What events these might be will be seen when the hack releases!

And now for the important bit, screenshots! (All screenshots are not final and are subject to change)

Screenshots

Grug 2.emulator-1
Grug 2.emulator-2
Grug 2.emulator-3
Grug 2.emulator-4
Grug 2.emulator-6

Grug 2.emulator-11
Grug 2.emulator-12
Grug 2.emulator-13

Credits file will be release alongside the finished product (whenever that is).

Anyways, I hope you’ll look forward to Team Stoned Stoners’ newest work, and a new installment in the happenings of the (I guess we’re calling it this now) Grugverse!

Hello, Fire Emblem Universe, we, Team Stoned Stoners, would like to present Grug’s Primitive Disadventure 2: Prehistoric Truancy. We have been working on this sequel to the original Grug for a long time now, and we are excited to annouce its release! It is fully playable and completed. We will be taking any bug reports in our Team Stoned Stoners Discord Server (link down below) or in this FEU thread. We thank all our supporters who motivated us this far. This unfortunately will be our last romhack as a team. We plan to expand into other mediums and so are leaving FEBuilder and the Grug series behind. So thanks to y’all for the past 2 and half years of Team Stoned Stoners!

Features of Grug’s Primitive Disadventure 2

-A plot investigating the disappearance of Grug
-Over 52 playable characters both new and old
-A 99.99% original soundtrack composed by MemeTzar
-Weed lol
-29 Chapters and Maps spanning from Canada to the United States
-An all-new memetastic plot from the schizoposting genius mind of yours truly! (Actual funniness may or may not be included in the final product)
-The amenities of modern hacking, everything from universal range to the str/mag split (aka the stuff everyone expects anyway)
-A cast consisting of a mix of old friends, old enemies, new friends, new enemies, and a turtle.
-An array of custom classes that will definitely make you question what the creator was on when making this hack!

Trailers

UPS Patch and Credits will be at the bottom. Report any bugs found in the comments below.

UPS Patch

Dropbox - Grug2.ups - Simplify your life

Recruitment Guide

Prologue: Erdreich, Tagerine, Shima, Kendra, Ryuunosuke (auto), Auersperg (stand next to barrel with Tagerine)
Chapter 1: Torrent, Anchorage (auto), Kaito, The Demon (talk with Tagerine, or auto at end)
Chapter 2: Julianne (auto), Burom (talk with Julianne)
Chapter 3: Demiserra (talk with Erdreich)
Chapter 4: Amelia (auto)
Chapter 5: Shitfaced, Kaitlyn (auto), Purple (talk with The Demon)
Chapter 6: Seto Kaiba (talk with Julianne), Albert (talk with Erdreich)
Chapter 7: Kane, Bloodrend (auto), Teff, Buckwheat (auto at end)
Chapter 8: Nacht (auto), Zomberk (step in area above water, talk with Demiserra (DON’T TALK WITH DEMISERRA I WAS JOKING) or Kaitlyn)
Chapter 9: Sunflower (visit village)
Chapter 10: Henri (talk with Erdreich), Belvedere (talk with Henri)
Chapter 11: Wibble (auto)
Chapter 12: Chimera (auto)
Chapter 13: Indigo (talk with Erdreich)
Chapter 14: None
Chapter 15: Luna, Earth, Kris.k (auto)
Chapter 16: God, Satan (auto)
Chapter 17: Dart (talk with God), CJ (talk with Kaito)
Chapter 18: MemeTzar, Tort (auto at end)
Chapter 19: None
Chapter 20: Lonk, Oocities (auto)
Chapter 21: Rafflesia (auto)
Chapter 22: Wilderklee (auto), Eirin, Reisen (kill Kempf, auto)
Chapter 23: None
Chapter 24: Synesthesia (auto), Akutagawa (do the thing Ryuunosuke tells you to do at the start)
Chapter 25: None

Endgame Spoilers

Chapter 26 Bad End: Shauna (auto)
Chapter 26 Good End: Bladesworn Tagerine(auto at end)
Endgame Good End: Tecumseh (auto), Gold/Prophet (Turn 1, depending on if Gold appeared in previous chapters or not)

Credit to Centauri Eternal for compiling this for me!

Credits

Team Stoned Stoners
7743 for making the Godsend that is FEBuilder

Main Hacker:
Rye on Speed

Music Team:
MemeTzar
LonkFromCalifornia

Art Team:
LonkFromCalifornia
GoldblitzX
Vyland
Dood

Playtesters:
GoldblitzX
Vyland
LunaProc
Kaito
Tomo
TezukaMotherfuckerWhoForcesMeToDesignWellYamigami

Assets:

Animations:
Iscaneus
Waleed
Pushwall
Lord_Tweed
Zane Avernathy
DerTheVaporeon
Leo_link
Deranger
MeatOfJustice
Obsidian Daddy
Nuramon
TBA
Spud
SALVAGED
Arkth
Russel Clark
Glenwing
Andy
SD9K
Keks_Krebs
Beccarte
GabrielKnight
BigMood
The_Big_Dededester
Sax Marine
Vilkalizer
Orihari_Saki
Redbean
Temp
Shin19
Jeorge_Reds
Intestine
Aruka
Greentea
Maiser 6
Kenpuhu
RobertFPY
Teraspark
Velvet Kitsune
Seal
Purple Mage
Yangfly Master
Vyland
Mikey Seregon
Alfred Kamon
Jey The Count
ZoramineFae
topazlight
ArcherBias
FireEmblemier
flasuban
RobertFPY
WarPath
CanDy
L95
Ash3wl
blood
TyTheBub
Smug_Mug
Dutch_Introvert
Huichelaar
Kemui52

Tilesets

ZoramineFae
JellyUnicorn
N426
Peerless
WAve

Class Cards:

HyperGammaSpaces
SamirPlayz
ZoramineFae
Der
Serif
Jj09
flasuban
TBA
Pikmin
L95
RobertFPY
Nuramon
Pushwall
Huichelaar
Demonlemon
Seal

Spell Animations:

PurpleMage
Mikey_Seregon
Puppet
Teraspark
Arch
SHYUTERz

Icons:
authenticmaniac
2WB
Celice
SacredStones
Zelix
Zarg
Ereshkigal
Beansy
Seal
LordGlenn
Thunder Mage
GabrielKnight
EldritchA
LonkFromCalifornia
Indogutsu Tenbuki
LisandraBrave
PurpleMage
SmithyGCN
Sindle
Rootrick
Topaz

Portraits:
LonkFromCalifornia
ObsidianDaddy
SterlingGlovner
Rye on Speed
Matthieu
L95
MemestarAlbert (Worst Grammar Ever)
Clover Field
Levin64
feier
daffodil
SpaceWarrior
GoldblitzX
Redbean
PurpleMage
Tobiki
Max
Nickt
LaurentLacroix
Anon
Melia
BorsDeep
Corythegoober
DerTheVaporeon
Shin19
BwdYeti
Zoisite

Will update as we add in more Assets
Notify at MemeTzar#1730 on discord if we missed anything

Discord

Team Stoned Stoners Come to hang out and ask questions. TSS staff is usually available to answer questions. We always appreciate feedback!

Tierlist For EVERY Grugverse Character Ever

https://tiermaker.com/create/grugverse-tierlist-v4-368227

Play the OG Grug’s Primitive Disadventure here:

21 Likes

Funny idea guys
What if I gave a Grugdate that was more substantial than just a few screenshots of stuff I’ve done?

Alright so here’s a basic comprehensive look at the absolute state of Grug 2:
Gameplay: 27/29 Chapters Completed
Story: 27/29 Chapters Completed, Additional story bits will be added to earlier chapters once the final portraits are completed.
Supports: 0%
Soundtrack: Around 6%~?
Custom Title Screen: Not Done
Custom Battle UI: TBD
Custom Status Screen: TBD
Portraits TBD: 6 Left
Playables: 51 Playables
Needlessly Weebish Weapon Names: 29
Sightings of Grug in the past 27 chapters: 0
Burnout: 74%
Number of times playtested: 1
Time lapsed since I joked about making Grug 2: 168 days

7 Likes

lmao i completed the entire game

now to wait for the OST to be done and we have a product

1 Like

Are you going to be releasing the Diamond is definitive version of grug 1 before you release grug 2?

2 Likes

i’m actually mostly done with diamond is definitive except for like 8 support chains i have writer’s block for, so most likely

Alright gamers, currently just working on rebalances for Grug 2, I’ve handed out test builds to my team members + some friends of mine, so they’ll have early access. As for when I’m gonna release a public build, my estimate is probably whenever the portraits are finally all set and done and we have polished the game to a level I feel would be worthy of a public release.

1 Like

impossible, also good luck

impossible indeed my friend

GRUGDATE, HOMO SAPIENS.

So I’m currently on the playtesting phase of Grug 2, which means I’ve handed out the rom to some friends of mine + my team to playtest/bug check for the time being. When I’ve balanced enough to where I’m satisfied, I’ll publicly release a patch as a beta.

Wait shit i already said this last time, I really have nothing to update on

There hasn’t been much stuff I can really update you on other than the fact that I got a lot of portraits remade to look more high quality + balance fixes + I’m working on an augury type system for chapter advice.

Oh yeah, some more screenies (courtesy of my playtesters)
(Yes I’m re-using the Grug 1 Stat Screen)

3 Likes

Omg its the hack I’m redoing the maps for

2 Likes

So true oomfie

SO I HEARD SOME OF YOU LIKED CUSTOMIZABLE UNITS

9 Likes

That’s nice, but where is Gandolf at?

3 Likes

sweats

Alright guys, it’s ya boi, Rye on Speed, back at it again with another update for this game I’ve just been quietly totally working on!

I made some slight changes to item names. Just a few teensy changes

Oh yeah I slathered everything in narrowfont because I’m a psychopath too

Playtesting is going p well, I think I’ve managed to iron out most of the bugs I wanted to iron out/cared about, but now I stand at a dilemma.

The game is still lacking two things, most of the OST and the tactics room.

This is where democracy comes in!

Do I… A.) Release the game rn with heavy disclaimers to play w/o music and not check the tactics room? or B.) Wait until the OST is done and I can figure out the tactics room?

Remember, beyond music and tactics, the game is completely functional gameplaywise.

Alright, get voting! Get your friends to vote! Make alt accounts idk whatever it takes to promote corruption in the voting

Grug 2 Release
  • Release the game now w/ an unfinished OST and tactics room, but everything else is functional
  • Release the game later w/ the finished OST and possibly finished tactics room

0 voters

5 Likes

Is that a gamer girl bath water reference? :joy:

3 Likes

Perhaps.

1 Like

That’s Hilarious. I love your work, always a blast to go through.

3 Likes

thanks for the kind words, i appreciate that people enjoy what i make

well, I say I, but tbh it’s basically impossible w/o the help of my friends

Looking at the poll, it looks pretty overwhelmingly in favor of waiting for everything to be done, so that will be the game plan going forward.

This means that Grug 2 probs ain’t being released by FEE3, but we will release a trailer at FEE3, so look forward to that.

We appreciate your patience and support, and will strive to release a product that will be fun but also make you cringe as hard as possible, thank you.

5 Likes