FE7Lex v1.5 Released! (31 chapters so far)

Current version is 1.52a, featuring 31 chapters: everything up to and including Genesis (the Kishuna desert gaiden chapter).

Download link to current version: v1.52b Download

Link to the Discord channel on the Lex Talionis server: Discord

Note that current versions are not backwards-compatible with save files from before v1.50. The base engine has been heavily upgraded and modified. See the extensive update notes below the download links!

Please note that this not a ROM hack. I’ve rebuilt the game from the ground up in a new engine. Thus, I believe it is currently only playable on systems capable of running Windows-style .exe files.

Most Recent Changelog

v1.52a

Additions
  • New item: Master Seal. Can promote all standard classes.
  • Boss death quotes now appear during combat as per the GBA games.
  • Items that replenish their uses at the end of the chapter now have their uses listed in gold font.
  • Continued adding support conversations for recently added units.
Bug Fixes
  • Fixed crash upon learning a skill when the unit’s equipped skill list is full.
  • Revised promotion code. Should fix some bugs with units unable to promote.
  • Fixed rain not applying to rescued units.
  • Potentially fixed the crash on Whereabouts Unknown.
  • Fixed Dorcas not being able to move onto mountains as a brigand.
  • Fixed Modern Bows accuracy drop-off affecting all weapon types at range > 2.
  • Fixed ballista units not using the correct animation.
  • Fixed instances of portraits facing the wrong direction in dialogue scenes.
  • Fixed sprites not being blacked out for unavailable units on the Support menu.
  • Corrected several typos.
  • Fixed more skill description overflow issues.
  • Fixed Dorcas’s greyed-out map sprite appearing as a normal brigand.
  • Fixed greyed-out knight map sprites having visible gold trim.
  • Fixed Pent’s death event as a green unit.
Balance Changes
  • Reduced the penalty to deployment slots from difficulty setting for most chapters.
  • Ballista enemies now also carry regular bows for when they run out of ammo.
  • Another Journey: Wire is now a soldier if Unlimited Weapons is enabled (except on Lunatic difficulty).
  • The Dread Isle: swapped droppable flags between two enemy torches to make it quicker to obtain.
  • Living Legend: can now buy a Fell Contract from the base market.
  • Living Legend: Fell Contract found in the sand replaced with a Master Seal.
Miscellaneous
  • Modified Guy’s myrmidon map sprite.
  • Minor adjustments to the following portraits: Hector, Matthew, Anna.
  • Ninian and Nils now start with A-rank support with one another.

Features

FE7Lex is a recreation of Fire Emblem 7 from scratch in the Lex Talionis engine. The goal is to replicate the features and feel of a modern Fire Emblem title. Importantly, the gameplay changes can be toggled on or off such that it can play either like the original game (“Retro” ruleset), a recent FE title (“Modern” ruleset), or some combination of the two using a built-in rule customization menu:

The rules are selected when creating a new save file. There is a skill system, branched promotion options, and many others. Some specific examples of features that can be turned on or off:

Unlimited Weapons: no weapon durability, and many weapons have revised effects.

Personal Spells: Similar to Three Houses, in which each caster-class unit learns different spells as they increase their weapon rank(s).

Early Recruitment: several units that normally join late in the game, such as Wallace and Renault, are recruitable at an earlier point. This is especially important right now, while the endgame chapters aren’t done yet.

There are also many features related to game presentation that are included regardless of which ruleset you use. I think they do wonders for the enjoyability of the game. These took quite some time to complete, so I hope you like them!

Colorized map sprites! Each unique unit has colorized sprites for their base class and all possible promotions. This allows you to tell units apart at a glance.

Upscaled portraits! Each portrait was upscaled by hand to take advantage of the unlimited color palette in the LT engine.

Voiced characters! (Not evident in the screenshot, take my word for it!) Each character has been given a voice set of 70 to 100 lines, with clips that play in dialogue and in specific events like unit selection, critical hit, good/bad level ups, etc! Some use their official voices, some do not. (This is due to the limited quantity of clips available for many official voices.)

Toggle-able unit circles so that you can tell colorized friend from colorized foe!

After you rescue Merlinus, he shows his gratitude by setting up a base for you between missions. This functions similarly to the base in Radiant Dawn. As the game progresses, more functions become available such as the fortune teller and base market.

Along with the base comes many new conversations between units that normally do not interact. These generally support character development and the existing story instead of adding new plot points.

Modern support system! Instead of having to grind out support ranks by sitting units next to each other for many turns, you now score one support point for deploying two units together on the map at the start. Further, the five-rank-per-unit limit has been eliminated: the only limiting factor is that only one S-rank support can be obtained per character. The S rank is new: I’ve written conversations for each of the possibilities. Units that have S-rank support will have a paired ending at the end of the game.

Support partners that fight adjacent to one another in combat have a pair-up system. They will have a chance to guard their partner or add a follow-up attack, with the chance depending on their support rank.

Finally, I’ve added critical cut-in animations (with voiced crit quotes) for each character!

This is a beta release. It is completely playable, but there might be some bugs or untested aspects. I hope players will help me polish the experience.

Previous Changelogs
v1.51

Additions
  • New chapter: Genesis.
Bug Fixes
  • Fixed skill description overflow.
  • Fixed colorized map sprites inheriting team colors in places.
Balance Changes
  • Sniper: Sureshot now triggers at the beginning of the turn and lasts all turn.
  • Bolting: Personal Spells versions are now A-rank instead of S-rank. Enemy units adjusted too.
  • Unlimited versions of slim weapons have weight increased by 1.
Miscellaneous
  • Revised descriptions of difficulty modes.
  • Weapon rank help tooltips now display combat bonuses.
  • Expanded the “Colorized Greens” game option to make all colorized map sprites optional.
  • Started implementing support conversations for new units.

v1.50

Additions
  • New chapters: Kinship’s Bond, Living Legend.
  • New playable units: Isadora, Heath, Hawkeye, Pent.
  • New game rules: Chapter Revisions, Isadora Class.
  • Additions to options menu: Team-colored Health Bars, unit circles.
  • Combat UI is now hidden during battle conversations.
  • Class skills are now displayed on the promotion menu.
  • Added tooltip help for the promotion menu to view skill descriptions.
  • Tooltip help boxes for skills have been visually enhanced.
  • Added unique Renault bishop combat animation.
  • Added unique Dorcas fighter combat animation.
  • Added smaller combat animation for the general. Left the existing one for bosses like Lundgren.
  • Weapons from a unit’s skills (e.g. the ballista) are now shown on the inventory screen.
  • Added a variety of new speech boop sounds for different occasions and speakers.
  • Added dancer rings for Ninian (e.g. Ninis’s Grace).
  • Made new icons for some skills.
  • Massive under-the-hood engine upgrade.
Bug Fixes
  • Taking Leave: Fixed Eliwood sometimes being assigned to the green team.
  • Taking Leave: the turn limit for Lunatic mode is actually enforced now.
  • Whereabouts Unknown: fixed Talk dialogue with Caelin soldiers not firing.
  • Whereabouts Unknown: fixed Raven’s recruitment conversation triggering twice.
  • Talons Alight: fixed Sealen not attacking.
  • Pirate Ship: fixed Zoldam not awarding any experience points on death.
  • The Dread Isle: the Orion’s Bolt is now obtainable if Uhai Joins is enabled.
  • Imprisoner of Magic: fixed Kishuna’s units appearing on player-occupied tiles.
  • A Glimpse in Time: fixed incorrect chest trigger tile.
  • Fixed support partner attack preview being off the side of the screen.
  • Fixed Underdog skill scroll teaching Swap.
  • Fixed the Sorcerer’s War Wizard skill.
  • Fixed the Sleep staff not inflicting its status effect.
  • Fixed the broken Skip Lyn’s Story game rule.
  • Fixed Restore staff targeting.
  • Fixed crazy stat gains on promotion to Summoner.
  • Fixed Canas’s stats being calculated incorrectly on the level-up screen.
  • Fixed game crashes related to item removal code.
  • Fixed promotion items not being removed if used from convoy.
  • Fixed promotion menu mouse controls.
  • Fixed bugs related to backing out of promotion menus.
  • Fixed skill swap menu not being able to add skills, only replace them.
  • Fixed items remaining droppable after an enemy unit is recruited.
  • GBA-style arenas are now semi-functional. It still needs heavy revisions.
Balance Changes
  • Sharply reduced the variability of enemy stats in higher difficulties.
  • The Black Shadow: If using Early Recruitment, Eliwood joins at a higher level based on difficulty.
  • The Black Shadow: Beyard now moves in higher difficulties.
  • Vortex of Strategy: Yogi gets a javelin on higher difficulties.
  • Taking Leave: the turn limit for Lunatic difficulty has been reduced to 10 turns.
  • Another Journey: fixed Wire not awarding experience when killed.
  • Talons Alight: if Modern Bows is in use, replaced several archers with handaxe fighters.
  • Talons Alight: if Modern Bows is in use, took away Sealen’s Long Bow.
  • Whereabouts Unknown: if Modern Bows is in use, replaced several archers with javelin soldiers.
  • Whereabouts Unknown: delayed the appearances of the chest-pillaging thieves by one turn.
  • Pirate Ship: slightly weakened enemies.
  • Pirate Ship: if using Modern Bows, replaced archers with handaxe pirates (except on Lunatic).
  • Pirate Ship: added Hand Axe and Javelin to the armory if using Revised Shops.
  • The Dragon’s Gate: delayed the appearances of Legault and the chest-pillaging thief by one turn.
  • The Dragon’s Gate: adjusted enemy AI to try to reduce traffic jams.
  • The Dragon’s Gate: replaced some Archer reinforcements if Modern Bows is in use.
  • New Resolve: Oleg won’t move to attack unless you enter his range.
  • Matthew: reduced Mag growth. His personal skill+ is enough of a niche.
  • Matthew: his personal skill now allows enemies to move through him.
  • Florina: Increased Misfortune’s effect to -15 avoid on enemies. Upgraded version also gives -3 Def.
  • Uhai: Reduced Gambit’s crit bonus from 15 to 10.
  • Uhai: Substantially weakened boss Uhai’s stats on Normal difficulty if the skill system is enabled.
  • Great Knight: Trample skill now only provides bonuses against adjacent foes.
  • Summoner: enemies can now move through summoned phantoms and will prioritize other targets.
  • Wyvern Rider: enemy wyvern riders get reduced speed and reduced bonuses from Distinctive Wyverns.
  • Assassin: starting bow rank increased to D.
  • Physic: reduced range to 4 when using Unlimited Items.
Miscellaneous
  • Revised and updated all 800+ scripts. Hope the resulting new bugs are minimal…
  • Textual revisions for my new base and support conversations.
  • “……” dialogue no longer plays speech boops or mouth movement.
  • Added map sprite icon for units you must protect (Natalie, etc.).
  • Map sprite icons are now hidden during cutscenes.

Known bugs and incomplete aspects:
-Lunatic difficulty needs balancing. There are some chapters that are too easy and some that are too hard. This aspect is a work in progress.
-Unit voices in dialogue only go up to chapter ~16 or so. Ongoing side project to add them.
-Some abilities and spells such as Summon/Invoke are very rough and will be revised later.
-A few spells such as Abraxas currently lack spell animations.

74 Likes

This looks incredible! I will definitely take a look!

1 Like

This looks amazing! I really excited to play this!

2 Likes

Looks great! But how exactly do you play a lex tailoni engine game?

1 Like

You just download it and run the executable. No ROM required.

1 Like

Looks cool! Gonna have to give it a try when I get in my computer :computer:

1 Like

Updated the main post with the Discord channel link.

*Edit: also fixed a bug that was brought to my attention. The main download link has been updated. I’ll post update changelogs in the main post going forward.

I discovered a bug where consumable items will simply not work.

Hmm, I just tested vulneraries and they seem to work in my hands. What consumable, and what circumstances?

Don’t worry about it. Just found out that the stat boosters were set too accessories then consumables. It isn’t a bug.

1 Like

Vulneraries reset when you go back to next chapter

Yep, this is intended. If you play with the Retro rule set, they function like normal. If you play with Modern (or custom with unlimited items rule turned on), they have per-chapter uses. So drink 'em up!

Holy shit. Been waiting on something like this since i started playing Immortal Sword. Seems like amazing work has been put into this. Can not wait to try this and see future updates.

1 Like

Been playing this and having a lot of fun, however I think I got a bug where when Kent, whom I promoted in chapter 10, attacks a brigand the game will crash. Overall, this is a very fun little game and hope it reaches completion!

Thanks for the report, will fix. What class was he promoted to?

he was promoted to paladin, I haven’t tested it with the other classes he promotes to and he was going fine until he fought a brigand and then it crashed.

Thanks. Would you mind looking in your /saves directory and sending me any debug.log files over DM? This will help me figure out the problem.

I’ll try to replicate the bug and find the .log file, but i’m new to this engine lol. Oh, and not sure if it’s intentional, but paladins can’t use swords from my most recent session playing after the crash

EDIT: Nvm, i’m dumb and had sword cavs turned off lol

No prob. The sword thing was a bug that was fixed yesterday, re-download the latest version and copy your save folder over.

Edit: this fix won’t help units that were already promoted with a knights crest in the prior version.

Can I keep Wallece with Knight Crest or I have to promotion now?