[FE7] How the Emblem Seal works

In the hit calculation routine, at 08028C18, there’s the command to branch to 0x8028C3C. This does an inventory scan and has a hard coded check for item id number 8A, meaning the binding thing from the seal to the hit bonus is its item number. Changing its effect is likely difficult(unless you can asm)

… Just leaving this here for documentation.

To change which item slot is the emblem seal, you’ll see at 0281B2 is 8A 28. Simply change that to XX 28 for the emblem seal as item ID XX. Or, 00 from no emblem seal.

1 Like

Addendum:
Emblem Seal only confers its 10 hit bonus when you have created a tactician. If you skip making a tactician it will give no bonus.

Edit: And no bonus in Lyn’s mode (funny what hardcoded checks the programmers decide they need)

Edit2: Also loses its effect if the byte at 0x202BBBC has its 6th bit set(e.g. 0x40) but I have no idea when it occurs.

Edit3: And no bonus for enemies/other/etc.

[quote]Emblem Seal only confers its 10 hit bonus when you have created a
tactician. If you skip making a tactician it will give no bonus.[/quote]
Are you sure about this? Pretty sure I skipped creating a tactician in my chaos mode hack and I still got the bonuses. I assumed skipping a tactician used the default Mark as tactician?

Yes, and I verified it experimentally – I loaded a 100% save, started a new game in Eliwood Hard mode(skipping the optional tactician creation), and hacked in an emblem seal for Eliwood. Furthermore, it can be seen from the routine that calculates hit that if the bit for “has a tactician”(or something like that) is zero, it skips both the tactician start AND emblem seal bonus.

It uses “Mark” as the tactician, but the byte at 0x202BC23 has its low order bit set as 0; creating a tactician sets it to 1. This is checked in the hit calculation routine.

Note though, that starting in Lyn’s mode always creates a tactician, and saying “Create a New Tactician” but saying no to “Input Information” still counts as creating a tactician.