[FE5] [Complete] Fire Emblem: New Theory of Thracia 776

So now I completed the Blume patch (New Theory of Thracia to me it’s too pretentious ngl). The hack was really enjoyable to play, maybe it’s just me but I prefer to this type of romhacks than vanilla FE5, especially with Super Thracia. The new mechanics and the secret stuff makes every playthrough different and I really like that and the changes in the story are a bit interesting but I’m not a fan of the fatigue here but that is not a problem at all, at least in hard mode. The game maybe has its time when can be annoying like Super Thracia but nothing that can be manageable. The class system I liked it too, it was really fun choosing a class to my units. If I have to put the Blume patch in a tier list of Thracia romhacks, it will be my second favorite. Also, for some reason the Ichii-bal eliminate paragon from Eyvel

1 Like

Thank you for playing! I’m glad you like my hack.

Skills can currently be displayed on the stats screen with up to 8 of them. This is a display only issue, the invisible skills have also retained their effects. Press X to bring up the description window, then press right to move the cursor off the screen and see the description of the invisible skills.

1 Like

If Class is “Troubadour” but Weapon “Lance” and “Axe” and “Scroll” can be equipped…

it might just be me but this seems more of a review for Blume patch than New Theory.

Blume patch is NT’s old name so

Updated. The following new features and changes are included.

• Added the function to display equipment and combat stats information at the screen bottom when hovering over a unit on the map.
    • If the unit equips with a weapon, the name of the weapon is shown.
    • If the unit has no equippable weapons, allies will be shown the name of the available staff that is at the top of the item list. Enemies and NPCs will be shown the name of the available staff that has the highest weapon level.
    • If the unit has more than one item, the number of items in their possession is also displayed.
    • This display disappears when the unit window is disabled.
    • For processing reasons, it is not displayed while units are being rearranged on the Preparation screen.
    • Related to this function, speeded up the display of the unit window (waiting process is removed).
    • I used Zane’s FE5 QOL (Equipped item preview) for part of the processing in this function. Thanks!
  • Changed the weapon type is displayed with text in the unit’s item menu when “HP Bars” is enabled.
    • This is because the display becomes corrupted when the weapon type icon is displayed with a large number of enemies and HP bars on the screen.
    • When “HP Bars” is disabled, the weapon type icon will be displayed as before.
    • Only in Japanese mode is there room for more characters, so the magic sword is displayed as “剣/炎” (Sword/Fire) etc. In English, it just appears as “Sword”.
  • Changed the “Atk” is now displayed as “Ph Atk” (meaning physical attack) or “Mag Atk” (magic attack) when viewing weapons in the unit’s item menu or in the stats screen.
    • This is based on Engage’s notation.
    • Magic swords display the physical attack assuming it is when attacking at range 1.
    • “Atk” will still be displayed as before when the unit is unequipped with a weapon on the stats screen.
  • Changed the initial display in the unit window when hovering over a unit in an abnormal state to show HP. The unit icons will display a symbol that indicates which abnormal state they are in, so there is little need to look at the state name. Players will want to see the HP first when they hover over a unit.
  • Some changes regarding Japanese fonts.

Also, the following problems have been fixed:

• Fixed a case in which the “Swap” command would fail if the equipment was not on the topmost of the item list. And if the equipped weapon is not on the topmost of the list, the command can now be used from the 2nd of the list. In this case, the selected item is moved to the top of the list.
  • Fixed so that the map menu does not come up when the R button is pressed while holding down the Y button while everyone has finished their actions. If the menu is shown in this situation, the terrain window was displayed incorrectly after closing the menu.
  • Fixed a bug that the terrain window was not displayed when the map menu was opened by pressing the R button after all players had finished their actions and then closed by pressing the B button (vanilla bug).
  • Changed to when all players have finished their actions, the turn will not end automatically even if the Autoend Turns function is turned on. If the turn ends automatically in this situation, there was a problem that the terrain window was not displayed at the start of the next turn.

As already declared, with this update, I will temporarily suspend updates because will be busy with other work. If there is a critical problem, I will fix it as soon as possible, but otherwise it will be put on hold until other work settles down. If you haven’t been able to play because of too many updates, please take this opportunity to play!

Screenshots of the new features:

fe5x682

fe5x683

Edit:
There was an issue with a unit icon disappearing when the bottom information was displayed and units were rearranged. Since the memory used to conflict with the unit rearrangement, I changed it so that the information is no longer displayed during the rearrangement.

13 Likes

GBA Fire Emblem and later games can show allies and enemy staff range by highlighting green tiles. Is thsi something feasible for fe5 or even worth the effort given how much (excessive) work it would require?

Is there a way to turn off the thing on the bottom since having it flash about is a bit of an eyesore?

As you know, the range of staves in FE5 is 1 or infinite. I think this is pointless, since displaying the range on the map will just turn the whole map area green. But I understand that you want to see if there are enemies who use the staff, so it seems that there should be some other mechanism. (I have no idea at this time what mechanism we should have.)

It disappears in conjunction with turning off the unit window. There is currently no way to turn off the bottom display only. In the future, I would like to allow individual settings on the options screen, but it will require a bit of major restructuring because I have used up all the available space on that screen.

1 Like

Updated. Added the function to toggle the display of the stats view at the bottom of the screen. This option is now in the hidden options screen. (The hidden options screen can be accessed by opening the Options screen while holding down the R button.)

This update also includes the following. These fixes do not necessarily affect gameplay and no problem without updating, but it will make the game more pleasant to play.

• Changed to not reset the current position of random numbers when resetting the random number table. In vanilla, people said that the random numbers used were skewed, sometimes resulting in unfavorable hits and misses for players because the table is always read from the beginning after resetting the table.
  • Fixed flickering of the unit window display when the cursor is continuously moved and there is a unit at the destination. Not draw the window erasing and redraw the window after preparing the next window to be displayed.
  • Fixed a problem where the process is reversed when the hit detection was set to 2 or 1 (when set to 2, it had processed with 1RN, and 1 was 2RN).
  • Fixed a problem with Eliu moving to the cliff in the opening demo.
  • Fixed the description of the skills “Royalguard” and “Pierce”. Performance is unchanged.
2 Likes

Updated. Fixed a problem with the win count on the status screen would be overwritten with an incorrect value when a weapon effect granted a break or sleep state.

1 Like

Hi, Im in chapter 7 currently and Im wondering why cant my nanna mount on her horse? I tried without any swords and it still didnt work and its a big pain, is it a glitch or something? because 5 move no staves really sucks and I want to use her.

I made her unable to ride the horse in her initial state because it is unnatural to be able to call her own horse as soon as she is freed from captivity. If all of the following conditions are met, she will be able to ride at the end of Chapter 7.

• Finn and Nanna are alive.
  • Finn and Nanna had a conversation in chapter 7. This conversation explains why she cannot ride the horse. (This conversation is only required in Classic mode.)
  • Nanna has not changed her class and is not rideable.
Why is it necessary (or not) to have a conversation with Finn?

Hannibal gives her a horse if requested at the end of Chapter 7, but Nanna is too reserved at this time to request a horse on her own. If Finn knows about her situation, he will request on her behalf.

In casual mode, even if Finn and Nanna do not have a conversation, Finn will request. This is because Finn or Nanna may retreat before the player realizes the conversation exists.

1 Like

One funny homage I found out through gameplay in New Theory was that to remedy Arthur’s low spd growth, you would logically give him the Ced scroll.

The person who gets the Ced scroll first is Fee which means you’ll have her trade it to him. In Thracia, it’s said that being given the Ced scroll by a royal of Silesse is akin to a marriage proposal.

1 Like

Until now, the game is going fine, but I have some complaints:

1. The English is a bit poor, with some mistakes and misspellings.

2. I can’t discard my broken items! Can you fix that?

3. And why Nanna can’t use swords while mounted?

4. Don’t you have a way to make us able to see what the shops are selling in the deployment?

Here is one example of the misspellings.
I believe it should be “because he is jealous of his reputation”.
It is just one example, but I don’t know who could help you to look after these mistakes in the script.

Thank you for pointing that out. I will respond to each of them.

As for the English, if you could send me screenshots of anything you think is wrong, I would consider fixing it. It would be best if you could suggest revisions, but just pointing out the weirdness would be good. If you don’t feel comfortable writing here, you can contact me by DM in FEU or my Twitter account.

I don’t know how English speakers will feel about texts because English is not my first language. There are many people who say behind my back about the poor English, but very few can tell me specifically what is wrong, which is very troubling. I hope you can be the one to help me.

I will fix them in the next update.

Nanna (Troubadour) cannot use a sword while riding is because she is too powerful if she can use both a sword and a staff. For example, the Sword Knight can only use a sword, but if the Troubadour could use a sword and a staff, Sword Knights would be out of position. Therefore, I unified the lower cavaliers to use only one type of weapon. As a compromise with the original, I took them to be able to use a sword when they dismount.

This is currently impossible and difficult to realize. I cannot do it right away.

2 Likes

Of course I would suggest revisions! If you want, I could revise it myself. English is not my native language either, but I’m sure I can do a good research and revision. Do you have a script with the dialogues for me to revise? Then I can make the changes and send back to you, so you can give the “ok”.

I think I understand what you are trying to do, something closer to the GBA games, but this shows up another problem that annoyed me while playing: The game looks very unbalanced in matters of attack and defense power. Sometimes, even crits give just 1 HP damage, while the enemy can kill my units with a hand tied, especially the weaker ones. This look pretty abnormal to me. Kinda forces me to use special weapons to be able to fight properly, turning useless the normal weapons, or even weaker characters, like Kallion and Machyua, whose I’m struggling to level up because of this problem.

I believe this unbalance is a major problem in games like Fire Emblem 5, because it was the balanced system that made possible and necessary that characters like Nanna use weapons together with staves. FE4 and 5 depends a lot on a balanced system to be fully enjoyable, because it is a game that needs you to strategize in every turn. A balanced system is what makes a hard game fair, so that is something we have to take seriously.

When I reached chapter 11x this unbalance annoyed me the most: I was unable to use half of my characters in the battle because they kept dying at the balistrariae. I believe it will be worse in the next chapters, especially the final ones, that are indoors too. I don’t have problems with infinite waves of enemy reinforcements, because we are fighting against a huge empire, against all odds, but these enemy units need to be built fairly.

Furthermore, I like games that force me to think and strategize, but chapter 9 reinforcements for example pissed me off, seriously. They aren’t absurdly strong, so I can kill some of them, but they had weapons that killed my units easily. That is unfair! The game is already unbalanced, and then I have to fight wave after wave of dracoknight bosses? No way, this is to force me to play the way the game wants, to tie my hands. I fear for what will come after me in the Battle of Tahra.

Sorry if I looked angry. The hack have a lot of potential, and I’m getting a lot of fun out of it, and that is exactly the reason why I’m questioning the gameplay style. Maybe it is only my opinion, so it can be very wrong, but I think this kind of gameplay is forced and unfair, exactly the opposite of the original idea for Kaga FE.

How fatigue works in this hack? The more you have, the less you can move?

I want to talk to Tina, but I can’t. What is happening? (I relieved her fatigue with S Drink)