[FE12] Old Mystery of the Emblem 2.0

Today (in my timezone) is the tenth anniversary of FE12’s release in Japan.
I can see no more fitting day than to release version 2.0 of Old Mystery of the Emblem.
The script has been thoroughly combed over to include missing FE3 references.
Please report any bugs, especially with application of optional patches.
Enjoy a Krisless Akaneia!

5 Likes

This is the greatest DS hack ever. Kris is dead! :crab:

4 Likes

The shadow is slain.

2 Likes

It ain’t true FE3 if you don’t have the starshards boost growth
An absolutely grand hack, however. Seriously, a lot of people that were disgusted by Kris’s inclusion may finally be able to play the game without his ugly player-determined face showing up. You’ve done a great service

2 Likes

So I was hypothesizing about FE12 with Kris just gone, and I was alerted to the fact it actually exists. Doing Kaga’s work out here you legend.

1 Like

Old Mystery’s FEE3 showcase was today. While the hack itself has no new release today, keep your eyes peeled on this thread. When those tools release, editing FE12 will become significantly easier. And you can be sure Old Mystery will get an update soon afterwards.

Until next time!

4 Likes

this hack totally deserves a :crab: :cheese:, i’m going to play it asap

Is this compatible with the July 21st 2020 addendum translation patch?

I do not know what you are referring to. The closest I can find is an addendum released on the 21st of June 2020 for the original FE3, which this is absolutely not compatible with, since this modifies FE12, its remake.

crab…cheese?

While I get you want to make fe12 like fe3 I don’t exactly think that removing gameplay features is not going to make the game better it just makes it more like the original which, while I do enjoy I still think is flawed. People wouldn’t like echoes if it were exactly like gaiden and that’s because gaiden has flaws that were fixed, that goes for shadow dragon as well. Removing something that is entirely optional and can only be beneficial to the player is not good design, no matter how faithful you want to keep it

1 Like

Also, I don’t understand the point in removing reclassing when it’s not necessary or even encouraged by the game. All you’re doing is making the game less fun and variable by removing a feature that has no impact on the quality of gameplay itself, that some people actually enjoy.

kaga also said himself that he wanted fire emblem to be accessible to newcomers (that’s why Jagen exists in fe1)

Which is the entire point. In my eyes, closer to the original is better. Also, getting rid of reclassing is completely optional, so those that enjoy it do not have to lose it.

4 Likes

If you want it to be exactly like the original then I don’t see a point, sorry if I sound rude but wouldn’t it be better to just give a translated fe3 a facelift? Surely that would look better than the horrible animations of fe12 ugh

edit: Stop saying I’m wrong, I’m fine with any person saying that they disagree however it seems that people think that I am insulting the hack, i’m not, this is very well made, I just don’t see a point to it existing and saying ‘because the creator wants fe3 in this style’ won’t change my mind. I’m open for discussion, not people saying I’m wrong and acting like I’m making fun of the hack

I don’t think it’s very productive to tell the creator of this mod what they should or shouldn’t do with their time.

As for the efforts of this patch I’m all for it. I enjoy having a way to play FE12 that doesn’t include a very poorly done insert character. I appreciate all the effort gone here, and I hope someone in the community is inspired enough by this effort to revamp FE3 as needed.

4 Likes

No, it wouldn’t be better. The whole point of this is to have the modern gameplay and graphical advancements with the narrative of the old one, along with the non-Kris narrative additions.

Just because you don’t like the animations doesn’t mean he shouldn’t hack FE12 lol

3 Likes

And here I thought I was obsessive about changes from old games, but here’s someone literally replacing the entire script with an older game’s fan translation, pre-11 names and all. The furthest I would’ve gone there would be renaming the continent to Akaneia but keeping the nation named Archanea, and also keeping the Shield of Seals name.

Are you also going to give thieves bullions to mimic how nearly every thief in FE3 dropped money when they were killed?

Enemy equipment has not been touched. While editing (and adding) units is possible, the procedure for doing so is currently far too tedious to consistently execute, let alone have functional on five difficulty modes. This is the main stopping point on restoring FE3’s deployment limits, which are more generous than FE12’s.
Should tools advance to the point where unit and enemy placement can be easily edited, I will likely make a patch where equipment will be restored, and the gold drops will likely come with it. This would require severe rebalancing and I do not see this happening for quite some time: this would be grounds for an Old Mystery 3.0.

Regarding the script, I thought I had it in the OP, but it turns out I didn’t. The script isn’t completely replaced with FE3’s, though I did compare every line between 3 and 12 to add back everything that 12 missed.

Here’s the script. The comparison can be found in the excel spreadsheet. I’ll also put this link in the OP for convenience.
2 Likes

This is incredible