Especially with the buildfile and EM sprouting up so quickly, there’s a lot of outdated advice on what tutorials to read or how to do things. I remember when I was learning to hack, I chose to learn to use the anti-huffman patch and raw hex editing to insert text, over using FEditor. While I don’t regret learning it (the knowledge is very useful with creating TextParser etc), it was outdated (I can’t even find tutorials for it anymore). To prevent faux choices like that, I hope to address some common issues and point to the right, up to date (Summer 2017) resources.
There are basically two schoolsof though: The Event Assembler method and the Emblem Magic method. In the former, we log changes to be made to the ROM, and rebuild it every time. In the latter method, we directly edit the ROM (more in the spirit of how it used to be done).
##Common Outdated Things
- Avoid using FEditor if you can. There are alternative ways to do the same things with EA.
- Nightmare 1 is preferrable to Nightmare 2
- Tiled is preferred to Mappy.
- FE8 is preferred over FE7. Don’t hack FE6.
- Most tools and engine hacks in development are for FE8 exclusively.
##Common Useful Things
Arch’s Guide to Chapter Construction is still relevant, Furthermore, EA is the only real (modern) way to do events.
- FE8 eventing is slightly different, and we have a communal wiki for that.
##The EA Way
The best tutorial here is Ultimate Tutorial 2. It shows how to do most things. My guide to inserting things is a bit outdated, but probably worth a read after UT2. I highly recommend this way as we just have a lot more nicer tools that output to event files.
- EA will be the only tool directly modifying the ROM.
- Namely, no FEditor, no Nightmare.
- Circles’s tool suite is used (tmx2ea, s2ea, c2ea, etc).
- It’s much better to do maps in Tiled than Mappy.
##The EM Way
Eventually, Emblem Magic will replace all other tools mentioned this way. But it’s not out yet. I’m giving this name to the idea that we should edit the ROM directly. That said, here are applicable tools:
- Most ways of doing things in Blazer’s Ultimate Tutorial (I still recommend one skip the sections with FEditor).
- Nightmare 1 is preferred table editor.
- EA for events.
- Nintenlord’s Tiled Map Inserter for Tiled maps (preferred as to not have to manually do tile changes).
- Any of these ways can be replaced with the EA way and inserted with EA.