FE Map Creator (also generates random maps)

i’d argue that the map generator would be more useful for a level designer because you can set the flow manually and let the “flavor” (paths, etc) and the “noise” be generated for you, then just fix the specific terrain for yourself

2 Likes

If you have to go through all that work to get a somewhat decent generated map, might as well just do it by hand anyways since you’re already halfway there.

Tbh Yeti’s map generator is pretty awesome, and even if you’re an experienced mapper, you could still use its maps as a base or as some source of inspiration.

idk the experienced mappers keep saying we have pretty much no use for it
but sure we can just ignore that

The experienced mappers also haven’t even tried using it for a decent period of time?

“Hey we have this vaccine that can cure influenza”
“NO FUCK OFF MY MOTHER’S CHICKEN SOUP MAY TAKE 4 WEEKS INSTEAD OF FOUR DAYS BUT I’D RATHER USE IT THAN YOUR SO-CALLED ‘SCIENCE’!”

Not really comparable.

People keep saying “Oh, you can use it for inspiration or just fix the errors”.

1. I get my inspiration from elsewhere, not FE maps (IE I look outside or something just pops into my head).
  2. Why do I want to fix the mistakes some program pops out? I’d rather fix my own mistakes.

You can specify how maps generate too! Look at sticky tiles which prevent specific tiles from changing, and using terrain tags to get a more variable effect when you generate.

Klok that’s not even a comparison.

You want the random map generator to be a vaccine, sure. But since you know, it’s random and most of the time unhelpful, let’s make it for an unknown disease.
What mappers would be would be people who are using a vaccine they created and know works 100% on the disease they’re trying to treat(the map) vs taking a gamble with a random vaccine that might cure the disease faster(I’ve tested it out, it never helps me), but 99% of the time it will muck up everything and provide no results or results that the mapper would have to recreate a different string of the original vaccine to cure.

If someone obviously has no knowledge to create their own vaccine, then something that could work would seem great. But if someone has a vaccine they already knows works perfectly fine, why would they bother with spinning that wheel of chance.

i don’t think it will ever compare to actually making a map by hand, but the generator isn’t like this awful cancer evil thing that’s like, corrupting the creative mindspace or anything

like, if i set out to make a map for the sake of making a good map, i’m going to go and do it by hand, no questions asked. If I want to just make a level with vaguely defined flow/etc, and i’m not super fussed over the minor issues (and/or terrain specifics etc), i might well just make a randomized one and make minor changes afterwards

1 Like

As someone who sucks at art, this thing is amazing. I don’t think I’d be able to just sit down and produce a good looking map by myself tile by tile, but this thing allows for all those small details to be done for me.

1 Like

when I try to click on one of the download links nothing happens.

Looks like the links are broken. Yeti’s site isn’t working properly. Hmm.

Here is an alternate DL link. I think this should work… but I’m not 100%. Let me know if you have issues.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o8mijncaw0qz26t/FEMapCreator.zip?dl=1

And for .Net Framework:

2 Likes

Is there any way to extend a map size without creating a new map?
My current map is too big to be selected the whole map and paste into new blank map

resize map under the edit option

Can anyone help me out with the map for each chapter of my FE8 Rom hack I’m working on? There is a map of the whole Creek from the show and I want this to be part of the World Map cause I think this might work for one.

Not a mod or anything, but you should make a dedicated thread to ask for people to help with your project instead of spreading it across multiple threads that are for other things.

It keeps things from getting cluttered, and it’d save you from needing to keep track of multiple threads for responses.

what are you talking about? i am turning this into a mod and i am new to this site and stuff and idk how to get started to ask for help.

What I mean is you could make your own forum thread with the title like “Help Wanted For A Fire Emblem Hack” instead of asking in multiple threads.

So then people can see what you’re looking for all in one place, and you won’t need to make several posts in multiple threads.

Contro is saying they’re not a moderator so their word isn’t official or anything
You can start by creating a thread for asking for help if you want to try but I recommend posting some screenshots in that dedicated thread too in order to show that you are someone that people would want to work with

Last post I’m making here.