FE Clone Starter Kit for SRPG Studio

Greetings! Have you recently bought SRPG Studio? Developed an interest in making your own Fire Emblem-like game with it, but aren’t quite sure how to make things like physical/magical hybrid classes or decent-looking maps? Well, hang in there, because I’ve got a solution that just might help you get on your feet.

Introducing my new FE Clone Starter Kit! This is intended to act as an in-depth alternative sample project for the engine which demonstrates the use of features such as complex databasing, custom assets including graphics and plugins, maps for both story events and gameplay, and more. It provides a practical example of a game made in the engine which users can dissect and study to learn more about how the engine works and how to implement functionality commonly found in FE games.

Here are some things this starter kit includes:

• Popular custom assets (including graphics and plugins) individually labeled with their creators, assembled into a single convenient place, and implemented.
  • An entire FE class tree (including melee/bow, bow/magic, and melee/magic classes) and common weapons, items, & status effects, databased in advance and fully ready to use or edit.
  • Tweaked default animations that include casting animations for magical melee weapons and throwing sword/axe animations where they actually spin in midair as opposed to simply flying straight.
  • Demos for implementing a customizable Avatar and Child Units.
  • A short 5-chapter (or is it 6?) sample game entitled Golden Fools which shows off the above features in action.

Now, as much as I’d like to, I cannot possibly account for everything a user might want to do for a game made using this software. Here are some things this starter kit does not include:

• A proper Support system like those in modern games. Personally I’ve grown to find Support conversations in FE to be an overrated mechanic that doesn’t lend itself well to organic character development. If you’re looking to make an FE-type game in this engine, I strongly suggest experimenting with other approaches to unit bonding.
  • A difficulty that includes permanent death and the alternate scenarios and events necessary to accommodate permanent death. Permadeath is another common FE mechanic I’ve soured on over the years due to it largely failing to accomplish its intended purposes and ultimately being little more than a nuisance (at least in my opinion). Although you can easily add new difficulties that include permadeath, you should not feel pressured to include it in whatever you make if you do not feel you are creatively or logistically capable of supporting it.
  • Graphical assets deviating significantly from the RTP (default) assets in art style. If you have a specific vision in mind for how your game and your characters should look, that’s great! But that’s something that should ideally come from yourself.
    • The GBAFE portraits included in this starter kit are mostly just here because I didn’t want to use the RTP ones and I needed something I could more easily demonstrate the Child Unit system with. Using them in a commercial project is a very, very, very bad idea if you don’t want Nintendo’s copyright ninjas breathing down your neck. Don’t say I didn’t warn you!

I hope that this starter kit aids you on your SRPG Studio journey. Hopefully it will do its job of helping new users learn their way around the engine kinesthetically. Who knows? Maybe even users who don’t plan on making straight FE clones might get a little something out of this.

Dropbox link

Other helpful documents

Discord server

Additional screenshots

Credits

All RTP resources by SapphireSoft
All portraits originally by Intelligent Systems

All databasing, writing, and map design for Golden Fools by Von Ithipathachai

Custom Backgrounds:
senaka

Custom Class Graphics:
Fuwafuwa, gameandfun, JAPANWeb, Kashikoma, Maiser, Ojisan, Repeat, Von Ithipathachai

Portrait Edits:
BladerDj, Imperial, JeyTheCount, L95, LaurentLacroix, Levin, Lunatic, Nevrikx, NICKT, Sphealnuke, TactHack, Von Ithipathachai

Custom Weapon & Item Graphics:
Briver, Dankboi, EightWinds, JAPANWeb, miyabirakuda, senaka, Von Ithipathachai

Custom Spell Animations:
Fuwafuwa, Pipoya

Custom Plugins:
Aren, Balberith, Claris, Cube, Goinza, MarkyJoe, namaemitai, o-to, Repeat, robinco

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

EDIT: In the event I get further questions about GBAFE Support implementation, I’m just going to direct people to this tutorial: https://imgur.io/a/O2ak1Ih
Be warned that getting all the necessary stuff set up is going to be a massive pain.

EDIT (9/20/2022): Removed some excess animation types I’d forgotten about and added a link to some helpful development documents that might clarify a few things. It might help you when making your own games to create documents similar to these. Yellow cells are ones that should be safe to edit without breaking anything.

EDIT (3/16/2022): Released an update to the kit with a handful of new features.

21 Likes

:clap: PREACH :clap: IT :clap: BROTHER :clap:

Jokes aside, this looks great! Now we have Romhacking, Lex Talionis, FEXNA, and SRPG Studio is finally starting to look really respectable! Especially if you’re looking more for SNES FE gameplay than GBA :smiley:

4 Likes

While I disagree with your opinion of Support Conversations, I do respect it.

I love the second gens telling their mom who they want as dads I’ve never laughed so much.

And now another player has entered the war of Fangame engines

Hoooly shit dude, this is actually amazing!!

I’ll be sure to try playing around with it, great job man!

Yes! More SRPG Studio love. You can really make some great stuff on there.

I look forward to seeing what gets made as a result from this kit!

Im into using it, but Im getting this error after playing with Chapter 1, a little in changing the map.
Screenshot_37

MarkyJoe’s name entry plugins require the graphics for the letter keys to be present in a folder titled “keys”, itself present inside the project’s Material folder. It should already be in there if you’re editing your copy of the starter kit directly.

What other changes have you made to this map? They would be helpful to know in case I need to replicate this crash myself.

Update. It’s come to my attention that quite a few users are using this starter kit more as a repository of labeled assets rather than building games off of it directly.

In light of this, I’ve taken the liberty of adding each of the individual .sani files for all of the reworked battle animations to the project files on Dropbox. Hopefully they will save you some time on animating if nothing else.

Let me know if you have any questions, concerns, or issues.

3 Likes

Hey, all! I’ve released a new version of the starter kit with the following updates:

• Class base stats and growth rates have been updated to more closely resemble those of SRPG Studio Heroes.
  • Goinza’s Automatic Stats for Enemy Units plugin has been removed from the kit; all enemies now use fixed Level Ups and manually assigned Weapon Ranks.
  • A Jugdral-style Trinity of Magic has been added which functions within the confines of a single Tome weapon type.
  • The Re-Move Skill has been renamed Canter.
  • All Armored classes now have WXP x2 as a class Skill.
  • Soldiers and Barbarians now use new graphics.
  • Troubadours now use new graphics and wield Swords in addition to Staves.
  • Numerous .sani files that were missing from the original version have been added back in.
  • The selection of provided monster classes has been drastically overhauled.
    • Bone Soldiers are now called Bonewalkers and can promote into Wights or Hell Knights.
    • Goblins have been added to the kit. They wield Swords and Axes and can promote into Elite Goblins or War Goblins.
    • Revenants have had their Weapon Ranks changed from E Axes & Knives to D Knives and can promote into Legionaries or Entombed.
    • Bone Archers have been added to the kit. They wield Bows and can promote into Deadeyes or Soul Hunters.
    • Bone Mages can promote into Soul Hunters or Liches.
    • Daemons have been renamed Gargoyles and can promote into Harpies or Deathgoyles. The earlier bow-wielding Gargoyle class has been removed from the kit.
    • Kobolds have had D Swords added to their Weapon Ranks.
    • Minotaurs have been added to the kit. They wield Axes and Bows.
    • Gorgons have been added to the kit. They wield Tomes and Staves.
    • Death Riders have been added to the kit. They wield Axes and Tomes.
1 Like

Hey,

I am trying to use your kit but I am facing some kind of bug with the weapon ranks system.

No matter the ranks I set up in the units or in the classes scripts, I always get Lance and Tome as usable Weapons.

Even though I use this script on the unit so it should use sword only :

{
[
[“Sword”, 1],
[“Lance”, 0],
[“Axe”, 0],
[“Knife”, 0],
[“Bow”, 0],
[“Tome”, 0],
[“Staff”, 0]
]
}

That’s a weird one O_O

Could you provide some screenshots of this bug in action?

EDIT: When using this plugin, the unit’s custom parameters, the class’s custom parameters, and the class’s usable weapons on the main database screen all have to align with one another.

I don’t know specifically if your issue stemmed at all from your classes being copy-pasted from Dark Flier (the only Starter Kit class that should be specifically Lance/Tome) and the class’s usable weapon types on the database screen not being changed, but I’d wager this is the problem.

Hey

I found out what was wrong.

I translated Sword Axe etc in my project, and therefore the custom scripts had to use the same translated words.

I had to write Epée, Hache, etc instead of Sword, Axe…. Etc.

(Lance and Tome were the same words in English and French that’s why I could only see them).

Now it’s working fine.

Ohhhhh. Interesting. I hadn’t taken the language barrier into account.

Have fun!

I have never used SRPG Studio before I started toying with your starter kit, so idk if the issue comes from SRPG itself, but for some reason enemy casters tend to come to melee when attacking instead of staying at range, resulting in a counterattack which was not needed… I encountered that situation many times.

My melee unit is alone in plains, and an enemy caster runs melee to it and attacks, so it gets smashed back. Casters ia should attack at range when possible…

By any chance do you know how I could solve this ?

Here is a video to see what is happening :

Thank you !

The starter kit should already come with a plugin by Goinza that improves the enemy AI to prioritize targets as follows: one-round kill > counterattack avoidance > normal attack > suicide attack. The plugin should be titled “Goinza-average-damage-ai”.

First I would check to make sure that the Fire tome has a maximum range greater than 1. This sounds a little silly, but I don’t know what other changes you’ve made from the starter kit on your end.

If the Fire tome indeed has the correct range and the average damage AI plugin is somehow not working, then one other thing you could try is removing it and replacing it with Claris’s AI Evader plugin. You can find it and numerous other plugins on his/her GitHub page:

Yea the Fire tome has 1-2 range, they cast it from range when behind a wall or blocked by another unit and they cast it from range most of the time when 1 vs 1 on plains too. This behaviour of melee attacking is not 100%, in the situation of the video i can trigger it 100%, but i dont know why this is happening. Maybe cause I am turtling with en enemy in the middle of my units, maybe because there is a wall on the left, who knows.

I don’t know what is wrong because I have not added anything except the RepairUnits plugin.

This might be a longshot, but if the Goinza-average-damage-ai plugin is still in your Plugin folder, do you think you could try temporarily removing the RepairUnits plugin instead and seeing what happens?

It’s the same. I think this bug is inherent to Goinza’s plugin but happens on specific situations

Doing some testing myself in another project that uses this plugin, I too am starting to notice similar odd behaviors from enemies capable of attacking without being counterattacked. I’ll have to ask him to look into it. It’s possible that an engine update broke something.

In the meantime, feel free to check out the SRPG Studio University Discord server. You can ask there about things you want to do that the starter kit might not cover, or check out what other plugins and stuff people are working on.