FE Asset Repository Discussion Thread

Poor Lowen looks like he’s really going through it

Unsure what to make of the implication that Erk was not lovable before tying his hair back into a ponytail

6 Likes

lmao, to me Erk always had this face >:|

now he has a ponytail and his face goes :expressionless:

1 Like

He certainly looks more relaxed than his usual rather stern expression!

I know my comment was a bit silly, but those edits/splices you shared are quite nice!

1 Like

thx!! and its ok I didnt feel they were silly :slight_smile: its nice when someone comments

2 Likes

Hey. IDK if i’m the only one who thinks this, but I think there should be a folder for magic hits in the repo. Not spells or skill effects, but magic hits. Those used with this patch:

There are hacks which use this, but there’s no dedicated folder. And I think it would be really useful.

I use that patch for quit a few weapons, and don’t really think a seperate folder makes sense because there isn’t really a difference between a spell used as a hit effect and a normal spell. I have several animations that are used both as a hit effect and as a spell. The hack maker just has to judge whether an animation makes sense as a hit effect. For the most part, these are spells where the effect materializes on the target. Anything where a projectile fires from the user’s side like vanilla Fire or anything with a flashy screen filling effect like Ivaldi probably aren’t great as hit effects.

That’s what I’m saying. There’s little to no spell animations that don’t have that “wind up” like Fire or Elfire do. So most people who use this function would have to resort to making their own spells, or editing existing ones. That’s why I think a separate folder would be useful, even if it didn’t have that much content.

A brand new folder for every spell anim is a bit much for something so… miscellaneous. At best there could be an alternative version of each spell animation inside of the original or vanilla spell folder. A shortened version if you will.

If someone makes a few examples of said spell animations. I wouldn’t mind adding them to the repo. There will have to be quite a bit of content to it before I think it needs to be a separate folder.

ok google how do i dislike a post on feuniverse /j

16 Likes

Pain and suffering.

4 Likes

I need bleach for my eyes and if possible HCl too

2 Likes

Ponytail gang rise up

4 Likes

For those more educated in the matter, why are so little map standing sprites 32x32? is there something memory inefficient about them?

The GBA only has so much video memory and a 32x32 map sprite takes up four times the space in memory as a 16x16 map sprite.

So it’s generally better to avoid making 32x32 map sprites when you can help it.

3 Likes

There is a limit on how many unique standing sprites can be on the map at once. A 32x32 takes up twice as much space towards that limit as a 32x16 and four times as much as a 16x16. The limit’s generous enough that you usually won’t hit it with only 16x16 or 32x16 sprites (though, you do still have to be careful of it if you give enemy generics mixed genders with unique sprites), but overuse of 32x32 sprites runs a very real risk of hitting the limit. The vanilla monster sprites are notorious for causing these issues, as many of them use 32x32 sprites when it’s only barely necessary and most could be made to fit in 32x16 or even 16x16 with minimal changes (looking at you, Phantom). Going past the limit causes visual glitches where sprites or parts of sprites replace each other.

4 Likes

Thank you both so much for the response (i dunno how to quote them properly)

Is it possible to do a map sprite that is only wider, not taller? a 16x32?

1 Like

Quote is easy Just long press and select how much you wana quote then quote option pops up press it and say what you want under it

There is a tutorial on how to use cetain commands but this was not included (i think correct me if i am wrong)

Not in GBAFE as it currently stands, unfortunately, hence why things like vanilla Phantom are 32x32 (three pixels on the edge of its axe clips to 17 wide for one single frame, it’s barely noticeable at all but it makes the otherwise-smallest sprite in the game take up the same memory space as the massive Demon King lmao)

Thank you so much for this​:heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation:

3 Likes

Hi guys, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but im trying to download things off the repository and i keep getting an error server failure or wrong url, any idea how to fix this?