FE Asset Repository Discussion Thread

I don’t understand the assumption that the people who would work on the proposed new site would be the same people making new animations, when those are obviously two different areas.

5 Likes

That second one looks great!

I’m more surprised that in all my years of playing Fire Emblem 7 I never noticed this

3 Likes

So anyone made a version of Knoll’s portrait that just fixes that annoying pixel in his blinking frames? If not I can

1 Like

so:

soldier: both F and M (M has sword anim too) (Alsuq ver.), Flasuban’s FE10 ver. has both M and F, flasuban/ Nuramon/ Leo_link’s FE10 2.0 has only M version. (conclusion, maybe add sword to F Alsuq’s and make a F FE10 2.0 ver.)

halbaldier: both F and M, F has no axe anim

brigand: only M (F needed, although there’s a F ver., just not improved). Thare’s also a FE13-style, both F and M

pirate: there’s a DS-style, no vanilla upgraded.

berserker: hawkserker has both F and M, what could be considered as a 2.0 ver., Derserker has only M and thus needs an F.

fighter: Tellius-style has F and M, fighter 2.0 has only M.

warrior: 2.0 has only M, maybe also needs a more classic axe stance (like with the bow) to really consider it a remastered version.

archer: many ugraded versions, perfect, no changes needed TBH.

sniper: marksman could be considered a 2.0 version, in this case this is OK as well.

nomad: only repaletes, no real 2.0 version.

nomad tpr/ranger: only repelates, however vanilla anim is really good and doesn’t need update.

knight: we have SALVAGED knight and that closes the issue. Maybe consider adding a F variant, but it itsn’t very important.

general: many use the baron animation, BUT it’s not really a 2.0 anim, it doesn’t make it smoother. This is a top priority IMO, making it go well with SALVAGED knight too.

cavalier: we have SALVAGED 2.0, which, yes, is an upgrade of a ugrade, which is ridiculous. There’s no 2.0 F, only SALVAGED F, tho.

paladin: well, SALVAGED team did its part, no changes are needed.

pegasus kn, falcon kn, wyvern rider, wyvern kn and wyvern lord have no updated animations!

pupil: vanilla M is good, F is wierd. We need a new, F.

mage: many alts, no updated generic. That’s an issue.

sage: same as above

priest/sister: well, it’s a healer, most just disable the animations. Not really needed TBH.

both monk and bishop need an upgrade.

all of dark mage (shaman) line needs a lift-up too.

turbadour/valyrie/mage knight: the same as above

journeyman: both F and M

recruit: F (default, doesn’t need upgrade tho), M (poorly made)

(I of course ommited all the customs)

1 Like

You wrote a decent post, but you didn’t particularly organize it well. If I were to write this sort of post, I would make it clear which animations are subpar and need new variants, which ones don’t have variants but could probably use them, which ones don’t have variants but are pretty good as-is, and which ones have new variants to cover their deficiencies.

Basically a scale of 1-4, or maybe 1-5, where 1 is “This animation kind of sucks and has no generic replacement or v2.0” and 5 which is either “this animation at base is amazing and needs no replacement” or “It needed a replacement, but it has one now and is awesome.”

In other words, I have to carefully look over your post and parse what you’re saying with each line, which is a sign of bad organization and quadruples the brain power required.

Just food for thought.

These are SO good, Zoramine. Wow.

1 Like

Well I didn’t want to judge. After all it’s just my opinion.

1 Like

Only Male SALVAGED 2.0 Cavalier has a Bow animation, not even the Female 1.0 cavs have one.

1 Like

“Now if I’d have written THIS post, I’d have been much more snarky and unpleasant.” :smiley:

Zora, while you’re at it, would you be willing to make all those same weapon types for at least one, possibly two other berserkers?

I’d really like to see Hawkeye get this same treatment, for starters.

The Hawkzerker would be fantastic, too.

Female zerker would be OP, too

Here are all the remaining others, starting with tittyzerker…

Jacket/armor-zerker?

Dartzerker…

Top 3 would be fantastic to have. The others are less important, but still nice-to-haves.

Even if you get no motivation to do anymore, this is still a huge haul! And the staff/etc zerker anims are just a chef’s kiss moment too :kissing_heart:

Edit:

For other people, Flasuban is currently working on a Tactile and Lex Talionis-exclusive ‘Super Tileset’.

This is not ‘exclusive’ in that ‘only cool kids can use it,’ but exclusive in the sense that it’s farrrrrr too big for roms to fit it properly. They’ll bug out and break, while custom engines have no such limitations.

Our goal with this tileset project is to make a singular giga-tileset capable of meeting all mapping needs. All tiles will have smooth transition between them, if you adjust the palette it will work for all the tiles at once, there won’t be any color restrictions so we won’t have to make pesky, half-assed edits that look bad ingame, etc.

As of this moment, the tileset is extremely WIP. I don’t even know if you could say it’s 10% done, since Flasuban is still collecting the tile needed to fill this bad boy up, but I believe Flasuban will return to save the world…

7 Likes

Short answer not now, on burnout.

Long answer, if we can get more than just a sword animation for Hawkeye or Female Hawkzerker then I’d be incentivized to do the map animation. I don’t have any tie to the OG Hawkeye or Female Hawkzerker, unlike the generic Hawkzerker as I was the original funny Lance animation. Made them out of love for the silliness, and because it felt correct to have a Berserker become able to use the Berserk staff.

Hell, I actually only started the Staff/Magic animation after noon today, so getting something functional AND getting map sprites is far beyond my normal pay grade. I’ve… actually got a splitting headache that mostly resided about an hour ago thanks to working too hard on this. Hit me right after submitting the post, and almost immediately doubled back on my thoughts of having fun w/ this.

I also don’t want to do battle animations if I can help it, as I get burned out far faster doing those than anything else. The staff itself already made me tired, and the only reason the Magic one got done today is because I had fun with the weird energy sphere thing and setting up how it sparked.

In other words, if someone else puts those weapons on those classes, I might be willing.

…And can we please move my Adventurer from Rogue to Sniper, which it’s a splice off? Please?

Fine by me.

Huh? I don’t know why you’re writing this like it’s some well-known, longstanding issue. I don’t even know what you’re referring to…

Edit: Figured it out. Fixed it, too…

So, a TODO list:

• make an upgraded Pirate animation
  • give Warrior 2.0 a classic axe stance for consistency and add a female version of it
  • make a female fighter 2.0
  • make a 2.0 nomad
  • upgrade the existing female SALVAGED cavs to the new standard
  • make a 2.0 general
  • fix ranger melee animation to be less clunky
  • make a 2.0 verions of: mage, sage, shaman and druid (priest, monk, turbadour, valkyrie/mage knight and bishop are not top priority)
  • fliers are passable as now, update would nice, but now it’s not the most important

Also, more some reason I’m credited as a contributor to the female soldier while I didn’t touch the animation. I’ve made a sword anim for the male version.

Is this all really necessary?
Having to see new classes is more fun to see.

1 Like

I mean, completely necessary, no. But it would be nice to have consistent polished animations for all the vanilla classes, in my opinion new classes are fun but a fresh take on an old one is nice to.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s what I think too. We already have most of the vanilla animations updated, so let’s just finish the job.

1 Like

There is no job to complete; this is a thread to post something you’ve completed independently. At most there are requests like klok suggested.
I don’t know when this was turned into an assignment for the rest of the forum, but it is not.
If you have something to submit, celebrate, or comment on; post it. Otherwise take the discussion elsewhere, like it’s own thread perhaps in the requests section.

12 Likes

Well, anyway, if someone is willing to make a good still of an ‘improved’ or female version of a class, I am willing to animate. I am currently working on Leo’s female Myrmdion.

3 Likes

I think we can all agree there are some very lackluster animations in vanilla FE, and there are some animations that are overall far better. As an example…

Top Tier:
Swordmaster (Pretty smooth animation, good repaletting abilities, male and female versions, gold standard)
Rogue (Very fluid, fun to watch, easy to repalette)

Middle Tier:
Great Knight (Smooth, fluid, but middling palette options)
Dark Druid (Fantastic and badass animation overall, but very difficult to repalette)
Warrior (Absolutely fantastic animation on all fronts, but awful palette options)

Low tier:
Ranger melee attack (Clunky animation overall)
Soldier (It’s just bad)

Etc.

However, I wasn’t looking for a ‘job’ list. Just a general thought of ‘what animations in GBAFE could use some new variants but don’t have them?’

If you call it a job, it inherently becomes unfun, since this is a hobbyist fandom. That being said, I think the overall intent was fine.

Like, some of these things make sense.
Upgrading ranger sword? Sure.
Female Fighter V2? That would be nice.
Nomad V2? Uhh… is that necessary? Vanilla Nomad is just fine, imo.
General 2.0? We have a BUNCH of new Generals, so I don’t see any point to this one.

My original thought wasn’t “which vanilla animations don’t have new versions let’s make them all!” It was more like, “Which really bad/low tier vanilla animations could use an upgrade?”

Anyway, appreciate the list. I’ll keep it in the back of my head.

2 Likes

So?

11 Likes