Thinking through some unit design stuff for something I am working on.
Curious to hear community thoughts - who are your favorite hack units and why? What makes you like a unit?
Started jotting this down to see if I noticed any trends for my own biases (definitely noticed a pattern), but also to gauge what I liked about each unit. This list is unordered.
Top ~20 that come to mind for me personally, curious to hear your favorites too
- Garath - Dream of Five
- Seren - Dream of Five
- Rakel - Souls of the Forest
- Aenny - Souls of the Forest
- Feeler - Sword of Heaven & Earth
- Tsagaan - Sword of Heaven & Earth
- Kevin - The Last Promise
- Malcolm - Bloodlines
- Wolt - JP Hack
- Condor - Sun God’s Wrath
- Boleslav - Order of the Crimson Arm
- Franck - Order of the Crimson Arm
- Kristie - The Heroes We Deserve
- Lily - Staff of Ages
- Darius - Staff of Ages
- Ava - Road to Ruin
- O’Riley - Road to Ruin
- Keiran - Requiem
- Don - Journeys
- Brian - TNH
I tend to think of units in terms of (in no order).
- aesthetic (portait & palette)
- overall performance (how well do they work in their role? Are they too good/bad?)
- character writing
- concept/uniqueness/memorability/fun (does this character execute an archetype well or subvert it in a cool way?, do they have a niche that is fun to use in-game, etc.)
- How I felt about the unit at a particular point in time / personal experience (Did I have a great run with this unit? Were they an influence in how I designed? etc)
Thanks all, keen to hear opinions on this.