Elibean Nights - Final Draft [PLAYTEST PATCH, 6-5-21]

That’s rough buddy.

Nothing relevant to anything going on here.

1 Like

Well he got some comments so mean about Elibean Nights

2 Likes

Hey, uh… Please don’t leave the community. You’re such a supportive voice, and I think I can speak for basically everyone here that you’re pretty much the best figurehead anyone could ask for. You’re basically everyone’s dad. I can’t stop you, obviously, but I can tell you that everyone would miss you dearly.

16 Likes

Oh, it was a serious post…

1 Like

That F*cker

3 Likes

I’m definitely sad to see this project die, but it’s ultimately your choice in the end. Thank you for everything you’ve done, not just for this hack, but for the FEUniverse community as a whole!

13 Likes

Sorry to hear, Arch. Totally get it. It can definitely be discouraging when feedback isn’t constructive. You should be proud of what you’ve accomplished (personally I thought EN was ‘done’ and that you were saying it wasn’t because there was more stuff you wanted to add after the fact). EN is revolutionary and stands alone for what it seeks to do.

The “bad hack” and “dead hack” quips are extraordinarily tiresome and I see it around too much. Fire Emblem does things differently in almost every game, and what I may like is very different from what you may like in a game, and it is a shame when difference of opinion comes down to hack bad. Or a WIP map being met with jeers rather than assistance. It’s unhelpful for everyone and I agree it discredits that huge amounts of effort into making anything. We can all be nicer when giving feedback.

We all do this for fun and for the love of the game, and if you feel like it’s lost, then I don’t blame you for not wanting to continue on for now.

18 Likes

Don’t be so sad about what people talk about your hack. If it makes you happy, then it’s a successful hack. Just ignore about what anti-fans said about your work, do you make it for them? People like Mangs, kind of hater, will always hate and say a bad thing about what you been doing, no matter how good does it. So give a f*ck about what Mangs and others said about your Elibean Nights, they are just some asshole that no one wants to care about them. Look on the bright sight, EN is a good hack and many people love it, you should proud about what you have done.
P/S: EN storyline is the based idea for me to make Elibe story of Tales of the Golden Knight

13 Likes

I really love Elibean Nights, and it’s sad to see this hack go. But in the end, if you aren’t happy with the current situation, then there is no point with continuing this project.
I don’t really know what happened with the anti-fans, but indulging with what they say and do will be soooo tiring, and I can relate with that.
We will always love you, daddy Arch!
Deep down we don’t want you to leave us but if it’s what you want then… we will miss you.

11 Likes

Elibean Nights was extremely interesting to me, I love the world of Elibe and it’s characters so to see a continuation of their stories was awesome. I’m really sad to hear that it’s being cancelled but I understand that in the end it’s your choice and I’ll always respect that choice.
I wish the best for you in whatever you choose to do next, Thank you for everything you have done for us.

9 Likes

Jesus fucking Christ… I got wind of this just now and I can honestly say this breaks my heart, Arch - as a fan and as an old timey member of the community. I have seen exactly what you’re talking about, and it disgusts me the way people can shit on someone else’s hard work - especially when that work produces outstanding results.

I’ll never forget the first couple releases of EN way back when - it was one of the very first hacks I ever tried and I adored it then and still remember it fondly. I’m sorry it has come to this, but I don’t blame you in any capacity, and I wish you all the best and every ounce of happiness in this world. Thank you for what you have given to this community, Arch.

Much love, mate.

17 Likes

It’s sad to see such an anticipated project go, but do what’s best for you. Don’t feel forced to make this project if it’s not making you happy.

4 Likes

Anyways, just to clarify: I am not planning to leave the community at this point in time.

Thank you to everyone for the support that you’ve shown me. It’s not easy to walk away from something that has been a significant part of my life for nearly a decade. The response has been very heartening, and I appreciate it more than you will ever truly know.

Onwards and upwards, comrades!

43 Likes

i might be snarky sometimes arch, but to clarify i really respect the work youve done for the fe community and it was elebian nights that helped get me stuck in this hell fandom to begin with.

moving onto greener pastures would be totally worth it at this point though, so good luck with whatever you decide to do next.

3 Likes

Elibean Nights was (and still is) one of the greatest and most revolutionary hacks ever made.

Back when I was actively working on “The Binding Blade Plus”, and many of my other projects, your work on EN was a real inspiration. You inspired me to refine, revise and edit that which I had made - sometimes to the point of obsession. Your updates weren’t just “here’s a new chapter”, but rather “here’s a new game-play mechanic I’ve implemented” or “check out this new feature I’ve added to the engine”. That was something I wanted to emulate. I looked up to your professionalism and desire for innovation. Whilst I’ve yet to see my original project through to completion, those life-lessons I learnt trying to mimic your eye for detail and desire for progress have shaped me into the person I am today.

EN crammed in so many new and innovative features. Its design was the start of a real paradigm shift in the FE hacking community. I doubt we’d be where we are today if it wasn’t for EN.

Whether you realize it or not, EN has played a pivotal role in shaping the modern FE hacking community. And, “complete” or not, EN should be celebrated as a real milestone in the chronology of FE hacking. And you, Arch, were a real inspiration in my own personal life. Whilst this all sounds like mushy adulation, I personally want to thank you for everything you’ve contributed to this project and for what you’ve shared of it to the community. Even if it’s never truly “finished”, everything you’ve done thus far has had a massive impact on us all.

Thank you

16 Likes

fbutton

5 Likes

Shucks, Jake.

I remember when EN was one of the hallmarks of the old guard of the ROM hacking community along with Dream of Five, The Last Promise, and a few others, and we’d all wait to see what one had in store over the other. It was a little competitive and sometimes a bit heated but we all meant well in the end for a hobby we cared for, and I always wanted to hang with those names with my own stuff but they barely got off the ground and before I knew it, I hung up my hat and walked away from the scene knowing it wasn’t meant to be. I did want to jump in again from time to time as the scene evolved, but ultimately I tapped out again when the pressure of life mounted.

So much has changed since those days, including our views on what is considered “good” and “acceptable” for FE and especially fan works, and yeah some people can get a bit zealous with their views. I actually played through EN very recently a few months back on stream just to unwind, and my viewers and I all came to the conclusion that while there’s still plenty of good in it, there was still a lot of things we found wrong and wished were fixed or changed to better acclimate to the newer scene. We poked a lot of fun at it but it was all in good humor. I knew if you were to ever try and fix the errors it’d take a long time to do and not the most enticing prospect to tackle.

But it’s fine.

ROM hacking is a hobby to a lot of us and we know how stressful it can be, working for little gratification just because we like putting in that work. And sometimes you need to step back and breathe for a bit.

Yeah I’ll miss EN, it’s the last of our truly old guard, but I’ll never forget its place in history for our community, regardless of how good or bad it is. (Lord knows I know that all too well!) And neither should any of us.

17 Likes

Truly and end of an era. I’ve been meaning to write a history of the FE hacking scene, because I feel like it’s bigger than ever and a lot of people are lacking context for older projects.

Mangs’ fanbase, on top of being incredibly rude to Arch and his team, didn’t really give enough credit for how innovative Elibean Nights is.

In conclusion, I’m mad, but not at Arch.

10 Likes

Oh wow this is a bummer. I still remember running home after school to play EN when I was younger. It’s been around and been in my life for a super long time and has definitely shaped my understanding of FE Romhacking for the better. If this is truly the end for the project then I can’t say it didn’t have a phenomenal run. At the end of the day it’s YOUR project and if it’s time to move on then that’s what it’s time to do. I hope the community can get back on track and truly break its elitism. It’s been disheartening to watch it progress to this point but I can say that FEUniverse always felt like the place to go to escape all of that. Hopefully we continue being a positive force in the overall community.

10 Likes

Mangs really shouldn’t be taken seriously, he’s kind of a troll and a memetuber. he really doesn’t understand the responsibility of having such a wide audience and the damage uninformed comments can do.

15 Likes