Do you use Jagens?

Jagens are good for meat shielding and feeding kills to low level party members.

Taking kills though? Downright criminal.

Make no mistake, the bench is a Jagen’s rightful place, as it is only ever a few chapters away.

I don’t really feel like I “have to agree.” I think I prefer a game where I’m forced to use less powerful units because it becomes satisfying to see them grow, and the game feels more like a challenge.

in a game where messing up isn’t punished as severely, sure, but with a game like fire emblem where permadeath is supposed to be played through it’s better to allow players to feel like they’re in control for the first few chapters, the best way to do this is to provide a crutch.

not everyone who plays fire emblem is experienced to making the first few chapters less difficult is good design to ease players into the game.

with games with a turnwheel like three houses it’s less necessary because you have opportunities to fix your mistakes without taking advantage of the fact that it’s a video game with a power button and a save feature

2 Likes

Honestly, I think that Jagens are both essential for people that need them and useful even for those that don’t. People that don’t use them, I understand why they wouldn’t, but they’re missing out, honestly, I honestly only mainly used them as I saw fit. Honestly, if you ask me, I wouldn’t mind if more Jagens were female, although, that was just a personal thing for me, since Titania is my favorite Jagen.

my god this is an old post, how the heck did you find this!? Overall nice take though. We really do need more female jagens, I think swapping Isadora with Marcus in FE7 would’ve been nice considering Isadora fairs much worse late game than the god known as marcus does so when he joins in that defend chapter he’ll fit right in with Pent, Hawkeye, and Karel/Harken.

Glad to see you agree with me about that. Also, yeah, Isadora would’ve worked well as the FE7 Jagen, and I would’ve used her more than Marcus. Marcus already had FE6 where he did what he had to do until Perceval joins and tags him out so he could have his rest. Although, I wouldn’t have minded Cecilia as the FE6 Jagen as she was a teacher to Roy and Lilina.

I may love growth units but I know and use those old men.

Sure I don’t solo maps with them, but they are great “emergency support” in case of sudden rescue, Death danger and more. Also later on they can be nice to set up kills to your weak ests

I actually do use the Jagens sometimes in game. But sometimes I want to get the Lord and other non-Promoted units some Exp when it comes or when it’s time to get them to level up or promoted.

i play extremely aggressively, and earlygame prepromotes facilitate that to a huge extent. i don’t particularly find training up growth units to be fun or feel rewarding by the end.

in fact, most earlygame growth units end up statistically worse than the later joiners without getting well over averages, and i generally hate having statistically improbable stats on units because that feels much more like cheating to me (because i’m relying on luck from good growths) than to just use a tool the game gives you, i.e. your jeigan. this isn’t even counting the fact that prepromotes tend to have better wranks than growth units too.

frankly i tend to get more longevity from jeigans than earlygame growth units because of all this; i deploy jeigan well after i’ve benched cain/abel, bench franz but not seth (duh), bench arran later than i do the 7th platoon, etc.

there are like, just as many jeigans that don’t fall off as ones that do, and even if they fall off you have a plethora of strong options by the time they do, something that you probably don’t have early on. i enjoy having strong options, so i’ll use my jeigan.

1 Like

y-you benched franz? You know there’s more to a unit than how good they are compared to the best character right? Please tell me that you use Vanessa, I can’t imagine what kind of hell an aggresive late game would be like without franz or vanessa

warp saleh + garm gerik/vidof seth go brrrrrr, feat. trained myrrh to deal with lyon.

so you solo the game with seth… until after the route split…
you know there are more than 4 unit slots for a reason right? Just as people from half a decade ago needed to learn that there is more to a unit than their growths you don’t see the worth of anything other than bases…

who said i solo the game? soloing is not efficient, especially not when it comes to rout, which fe8 has a ton of lol

1 Like

Honestly, i’d like a General Jagen for once. With tthe sole purpose of him being to slow down stronger enemy units that spawn behind the player during several early game maps that are just strong enough that for the entirety of the early maps he’s the unit who could face multiple of them at once.

1 Like

Yes i use Jagens, longer than most other people use em even. They’re overall probably my favorite Archetype. Jagen himself from FE11 is the best one in my opinion. He has good weapon ranks, and high versatility thanks to reclass. Need a sniper? Slap a forged bow on him and he’ll be fine. Need a staff user? He starts at D as a bishop, and has actual growths as one. Perfectly valid for a warper. Need a flier? He’s got you covered. Now you can argue for just reclassing other people, and that is true, although since you get your first master seal pretty late in SD and it’ll take a bit for your whole army to get promoted, he’ll stay useful during that time, and even afterwards thanks to already having trained his weapon ranks somewhat.

Class wise Jagens need to either offer good utility, or be something that doesn’t have a high crit chance, and is able to weaken enemies effectively for your weaker units. The most fitting classes for a jagen would probably be: General, Warrior, Bishop/any staff magic user, Paladin, Great Knight, Ranger/Nomad trooper, Wyvern/Pegasus rider, dancer, thief, or anything which buffs nearby units, although depending on stats others can obviously work too.

If supports are in the game you’d want your Jagen to have quick and early ones too, think Marcus from FE6. He can easily get supports with roy, wolt, and the christmas cavs, and worst case scenario you can always kill him off later on to free up those slots again.

While Seth is pretty cool. Titiana is where its at as far as Jagens go. MVP in my book and I hate Jagens lol

1 Like

finally we agree on something, I swear every time I see you in threads we’re on the exact opposite side of any debate.
although the best jagen being og jagen? Have you tried soloing sacred stones with seth? if so have you tried soloing shadow dragon with Jagen?

1 Like

He’s not really a Jagen (though he is overleveled), but that sounds like what I use Oswin for.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t really say Seth is a Jagen, more so an Oifey since he has actual growths. That aside even if you consider Seth a Jagen, FE11 Jagens versatility thanks to reclass lets him do much more than Seth can. Don’t get me wrong, Seth is great, but Jagens aren’t made to solo the game, they’re mainly support units.

That aside you gave me the idea to actually try soloing SD H5 with Jagen and the christmas cavs as healers, I’m pretty sure if you put all the statboosters on him he can actually do it.

I do, mostly because Jagens are often pretty heavily tied to the main plot of the game, so they feel like forced picks to me.

I do fondly remember when in Shadow Dragon, Jagen died to a Fire Manakete. I think he was proud to have such a glorious death.