Crediting policy update

This is in response to some recent issues that came up in the repository discussion thread. Please see the clarification to the policy here.

This thread will remain open for comment and further clarification.

2 Likes

EDIT: This has been superceded, please see below

Quick further updates about some edge cases to the new policy that we didn’t consider (these have been added to the credit guidelines thread as well).

In the section titled “Can I splice pieces of F2E sprites into my own work?”:

Yes, with the following caveats:

• The resulting work must also be marked as F2E
  • The creator of the original work must be credited by you and anyone that uses the derivative work. In other words, if person B makes a mug using parts from person A’s F2E work, then both A and B must be credited by any downstream users of that mug.
  • If the resulting work is posted to FEU directly (such as in a sprite showcase or other portfolio), that work should also be released F2E. This auto-F2E clause does not apply to assets that are only showcased as part of a larger project (e.g., you are not entitled to rip a mug from another project just because it uses F2E pieces).

Also added further sections:

Do vanilla assets count as F2E for the above?

• Similar to non-fanmade assets not needing to be credited, we consider vanilla assets fair game for everyone. Splices using vanilla parts can be released under any rules you like.

Can I use my own F2E parts in a non-F2E work?

* Yes, if you are the original artist, you can do whatever you want with your art.

5 Likes

Sorry for needing so many clarifications. We discussed this policy internally and concluded that the consequences of the “Using F2E parts makes your work auto-F2E” rule, as written, do not actually reflect what we want from a crediting policy when it comes to remixing and reusing F2E work. As such, we’ve changed things as follows:

• The “F2E-to-F2E” clause has been removed entirely. This means that, if you use F2E parts, you still retain full control over whether the resulting work is not free, F2U or F2E.
  • To accomodate this change, we are adjusting our basis for the term “F2E” to be based on CC-BY, instead of CC-BY-SA (we are dropping the “ShareAlike” clause).

If you are an artist making F2E works but are not comfortable with others using parts of your work without “paying it forward” (by allowing their work to be edited in turn), I would ask that you add a note to that effect in your showcase thread, and/or consider licensing your work explicitly under a license requiring replication (such as the aforementioned CC-BY-SA).

6 Likes