Could Someone Give me Guidance on Fire Emblem ROM Hacking?

Hello there,

I am new to Fire Emblem ROM hacking, and I am eager to learn more about it. I have played around with a few tools and tutorials, but I am still feeling a bit lost. I was hoping to get some guidance from the experienced members of this community.

I want to understand the fundamentals of ROM hacking. What are the essential tools I should be familiar with? Are there any beginner-friendly tutorials or resources you would recommend?

I am particularly interested in map design. How can I create interesting and challenging maps for my ROM hack? Are there any tips or tricks you could share to help me improve my map design skills?

I want to learn more about scripting and storytelling in Fire Emblem ROM hacking. How can I write engaging dialogue and create compelling narratives for my hack? Are there any resources or tutorials available to help me with this?

Also, I would like to know how to troubleshoot common issues that may arise during the ROM hacking process. What are some common problems I might encounter, and how can I solve them?

Any advice or guidance you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I am eager to improve my skills and create something great, but I could really use some help getting started.

Thank you in advance for your help and assistance.

1 Like

That’s a lot of questions. I’ll stick to the objective ones.

The two main ways of romhacking are FEBuilder and Buildfiles. FEBuilder has an UI, Buildfiles are text-based. A blunt way I differentiate them further is “most things are simpler in FEBuilder, but the most complex things are more convenient in Buildfiles”. If you want a full comparison, including non-romhacking engines, you can check this topic:

There is a FAQ for FEBuilder that often gets recommended: UltraxBlade's #febuilder-help FAQ
A video showing how to make a chapter: https://youtu.be/1_4kngL9V2c
You can also open vanilla games or romhacks in FEBuilder to reference how they do things as a way to learn, and then some trial and error.

As a more general suggestion, you should join FEU’s Discord and take a look around there. There are channels focused on troubleshooting, map design, writing, general discussion, and more. You’re more likely to get answers if you ask more specific questions and in their respective channel, instead of the spread approach.

4 Likes

Ya heres some common hacking issue addressed by UltraxBlade
UltraxBlade's #febuilder-help FAQ
Ohh ya it was included above so nevermind this post

Doing small personal FEBuilder edits to vanilla roms and random hacks will help you get accustomed to how the rom is structured also. You can always have a reference open for EA/Builder codes but if you don’t get the structure of a rom at all you’re gonna hit a lot of roadblocks