[Completed] Snow & Fire: A Tactical RPG

I see where you’re coming from but I don’t agree. Saves every turn makes things trivial. You can get yourself out of a really bad situation you shouldn’t be in just by manipulating RNG with your unlimited tries. I don’t think battle saves are the perfect system but I’m happy with them over FE4 saves.

Also, playing the game might change your mind. I tried to have battle saves happen pretty close to the start of the next section’s action, so you’re mostly redoing the part that matters.

2 Likes

Ah, I didn’t know dash prevents enemy phasing as well. That would be something helpful to note down in the description, since I assumed it was referring to being unable to anything other than moving after using Dash.

1 Like

There is a weapon triangle added with bows daggers and staves (since I know we ran into this problem with SOS). I’m at work so can’t send the exact thing but it should be documented at the end of the manual.

In the next project I work on I’m going to have special staves that are worse versions of heal and mend but give SP.

Attacking an unarmed unit counts as WTA btw

Ah, I just found it in the manual after double checking under SP. That makes sense, thanks!

it only makes things trivial if you want it to be, if you want to ironman the game, then ironman the game, if your going to reset for characters then you aren’t too concerned with keeping things fair in the first place. I don’t mind the mid-battle saves of ds emblem because the maps are smaller and consume a turn meaning that it’s a strategic choice whether or not you want to save, with this system it needlessly takes more of the players time so that people can’t cheese every turn, however if you’re going to reset every turn so you can get crits on everyone then I kind of respect that since you’re going to be resetting for a long time.

it’s just preference at the end of the day and all but i still don’t like this mechanic

1 Like

I don’t even understand what you think the system is. It’s basically DS mid-map saves, except there are more of them because the maps are larger, and they come at points of relative downtime so you’re only putting yourself into an unwinnable situation if you try to.

Also if you actually think people will just refuse to not use a thing and won’t succumb to temptation, then that’s pretty funny.

2 Likes
response

The system is different from the DS saves because you don’t get to choose when you get to save, for the DS saves you have to

• Get to the save point

• decide when to use it

• decide which character will use the save point since it consumes an action

the mid battle saves are one of the best ways to allow the player to reset the chapter mid battle in my opinion since you need to think about who will use it and when you’ll use it

for this save system simply giving the player the option to save whenever an objective is met is no different then giving you the option to save at the end of a chapter because it marks the end of an objective and the start of a new one while giving the player no incentive not to save.

as for your second point I don’t know what you mean, the fact that I pointed out how ironman players won’t reset regardless and those who choose to reset for certain characters will and all that limiting the save function will do is make the player feel like they’re wasting time? If it is then let me put it this way

those who want to ironman a game but choose to reset at a certain point won’t stick to the ironman if the save points were farther apart because they already don’t want to continue because of something that they failed to do.

those who reset for characters either have to waste more of their time or play without a character they may enjoy a lot, and that may tarnish their experience

I’m not saying the system is bad I’m just saying that it is a flawed one in my mind.

1 Like

“If you’re going to reset for characters you don’t mind making things fair in the first place”

Why is that? The majority of players reset for characters, so why shouldn’t designers tailor to what works best for them?

Apologies for the spaced out responses. I’m at work and the FEU mobile browser isn’t ideal (app when?).

Either way, I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I like these conversations, even if I don’t think my opinion is going to change.

2 Likes

For the awareness: I don’t think it’s necessary. Imani gains xp very quickly as is, so I don’t think she needs that.

For the forests: I agree but only for the first section of the first chapter. It evens out after that.

This looks cool btw.

Lex Talionis is Python, right? Does this play on GBA too :o

1 Like

People are terrible at resisting temptation. If you give them the opportunity to cheese, they will do it even if it makes the game less fun for themselves. Arguing that someone will just not reset constantly after trying risky maneuvers that they can do without penalty because of turn saves is like arguing that someone who has trouble focusing on work will simply choose to not get distracted/procrastinate. It’s ignorant of actual human behavior.

3 Likes

So I started playing and I’m really digging it so far, I did however encounter a bug that seems to be impossible to override. In Chapter 2 after beating the myrm bandit with the save, if you happen to suspend and then try to continue from that save point the game freezes and won’t let you. Essentially making that checkpoint moot, which is kind of annoying.

Here’s the error report I got in case it helps fixing it?

=== === === === === ===

*** Lex Talionis Engine Version 0.9.4.5c ***
Main Crash ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘items’
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “main.py”, line 124, in
File “main.py”, line 44, in main
File “main.py”, line 65, in run
File “Code\StateMachine.py”, line 210, in update
update_output = self.state[-1].update(gameStateObj, metaDataObj)
File “Code\GeneralStates.py”, line 2283, in update
self.message.update(gameStateObj, metaDataObj)
File “Code\Dialogue.py”, line 201, in update
self.read_script(gameStateObj, metaDataObj)
File “Code\Dialogue.py”, line 136, in read_script
if (self.if_flag or self.handle_if(line, gameStateObj, metaDataObj)) and (not self.do_skip or not (line[0] in self.skippable_commands)):
File “Code\Dialogue.py”, line 145, in handle_if
truth = eval(line[1])
File “”, line 1, in
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘items’

Created save point at last turn change! Select Continue in Main Menu to load!

=== === === === === ===
Damn. Another bug :frowning:
Quick! Copy this error log and send it to rainlash!
Or send the file “Saves/debug.log.1” to rainlash!
Thank you!

Thanks! It is Python, so that means it cannot be used on GBA, sadly. It’s an exe file, but I could make a Mac port if people wanted.

1 Like

Sorry to hear this! I’ll look at this and release a fix when I get home from work.

I have a temporary solution. Go into config.ini and change cheat=0 to cheat=1. Then go to extras from the main menu and do all saves. Hopefully this helps.

then you could theoretically release on Steam! cool.

I’ll play when I get a free moment.

Would it be possible for you to send me the file located in the Saves folder called debug.log.1? It would help me narrow this down a lot quicker.

So… are the boats in chapter 3 supposed to not be able to move? I’m not really sure what I’m supposed to be doing.

Ugh, I have no idea how that slipped through (I tested it before?) Give me five minutes to upload a fix.

1 Like

No worries. The boats not moving really confused me. Sidenote, but how are you supposed to deal with Rio in chapters 2 and 3? I did manage to defeat him in 2, but it was incredibly rough. He felt like he started moving so quickly I had to figure out how to deal with him, and fast.

1 Like