Carry Weight System, I guess?

I was tossing around ideas for how to translate limited carry weight on fliers and stuff to actual gameplay, and came up with this thing.

Basically, the idea is that every class would have a limit on how much stuff they could carry, based on their combined weight. So, say an infantry unit has a carry limit of 20; that means that whatever they carry in their inventory must have a combined weight under 20. Now, they could actually hold more than that, but going over the carry limit would inflict stat debuffs and, eventually, mov debuffs. Being a certain amount under the carry limit would grant a small stat bonus. The carry weight limits would be a bit generalized based on mov type, to keep things simple.

However… thinking about it more, I’m not sure this system would really contribute anything worthwhile to gameplay. I feel like simply restricting the number of inventory slots would have roughly the same effect without having to deal with a bunch of extra numbers. It could also just… not really affect anything at all, or worse, be annoying to deal with.

I do think there is some merit to the idea though; it could provide some fun interactions with, for example, rescue/drop. How would it work with Con? Would it be the same stat? It could also force the player to be more creative with inventory management, with the different weapons and maybe even different equippables fighting for inventory space. I think it could be cool.

Still kinda debating on this one, so what do yall in the community think? Is this unneccessary, or not? What do you think of a sort of carry weight system?

1 Like

it’s an interesting idea

time to mull over on how to steal take inspiration off of it

i think it really depends on how stuck people are on maintaining that traditional FE feel, but weight management would make con a much more interesting stat than just a simple tool to pass a weight check/rescue check

1 Like

Some hacks have pegs with Light Weight that basically restricts them to 3 inventory slots or else they will have lowered speed. In practice I feel that does impact the gameplay a lot

1 Like

I like the general idea, but that would serve mostly to boost viability of Iron tier weapons even more, as the player would be further incentivized to use light weight yet high durability weapons.

Maybe it would be better suited in a game like Fates where Steel is just a flat AS reduction for the power increase, and other weapons have other restrictions instead of uses. Then you could theoretically still stat them for ‘power’ and characters (and/or classes) would have a limited power cap before penalties.

1 Like

Dies Emblem does this and I hate it, but that’s mostly because it stacks with other penalties and can cascade out of control, which is very funny.

I don’t really think it would contribute to the game unless inventory slots were less limited OR the game was insane brained

2 Likes

It sounds a bit too overcomplicated. The weight system for the weapon you have equipped is already enough penalty. I think trying to add too much logic to FE just overcomplicated things

3 Likes

I’ve thought of this. Players would feel penalized if the max space was still 5 and some units would be doomed to hold even less. You could remove the weapon triangle, make most classes monoweapon, and make items unbreakable and really, really good like in Valentia. With traditional durability, and weapons with drawbacks to using them over another, add much, much, much, more inventory space. I don’t know if any engine can do this. Do LT and Tactile even have GUI options to make the unit inventory scroll like a shop inventory or something? Anyway, it would be cool to let an armor knight carry 10 items (or less if carrying many steel weapons of course.) They’d be a “mini Merlinus” that could defend themselves.

2 Likes