Alanzo's Portrait Gallery

I tried out some splicing. Let me know what you think.

F2E/F2U

unnamed (1)unnamed (5)-1.pngunnamed (5)-1.png (1)unnamed (5)-1.png (2)unnamed (11)-1.png (1)unnamed (11)-1.png (3)unnamed (11)-1.png (2)unnamed (11)-1.png (8)
Fir-1.png (2)Echidna-2.png (6)Hawkeye-2.png-1.pngFiora-6.png (1)New Piskel-1.png (1)-1.pngCaellach-1.png-1.png (3)-2.pngCaellach-1.png-1.png (3)-1.png (1)HatguyZ-2.png (2)HatguyZ-1.png (1)Soldier-1.pngSoldier-1.png-3.pngSoldier-1.png-1.pngunnamed (12)unnamed (14)unnamed (15)unnamed (16)Ursula-1.png (2)image-1.png (2)limstella-1.png (2)Tirado-1.pngunnamed (9)

20 Likes

Amateur splicer here; for your (I presume) first splices, these aren’t half-bad, but they can always be better :two_hearts: Let me just run down the list of points of feedback:

1. The colors: They’re not terrible but feel washed out to me. I’m not sure where you’ve acquired each of these colors, but they lend a clay-doll aesthetic to these characters. I would recommend establishing a color palette first, then finding mugs in the Repo that have similar, if not fully matching, hues to what you’re going for. As for skin tones, I’d recommend the Spritans guide and Blade’s collection so they feel more natural :heart_decoration:
  2. The framing: What’s done here is pretty good, especially for the characters with Echidna’s and Zelot’s faces, respectively (I assume those are Shin19’s blinking frames judging by how choppy they look, but they’re still good regardless), and the mini mugs aren’t half-bad at all; for simple splices like these, they’re very well-made and show clear effort in how they’re presented :sparkling_heart: However, none of them have a smiling frame anywhere, and for said Echidna and Zelot peeps, their talking frames are in the wrong positions; the widest mouth frames should be at the far left (and the smile should be above the neutral).
    Royimage
    Take a guy like Roy, for example (the full-framed version in particular seen on the left was done by the ever-amazing duo of Lenh and Obsidian_Daddy) :heart: I think you can easily see where each frame needs to go just by looking at it, but obviously, FE6 and FE7/8 have different styles of framing the character’s portrait because of engine differences. Since most hacks these days are in FE8 and other engines imitating FE8 like Lex Talonis, it’d be more beneficial to frame them with that game in mind :heart:
  3. The shading: I know shading for splices like these isn’t that important, but they help bring these characters more to life than simply having them be left unshaded in areas like where the hair and scalp meet. Particularly for the Paladin guy, I think it’d be awesome to see him have a more Generic-Soldier-style shadow over his eyes instead of it just being the third skin tone, as seen below:

Hopefully, this advice helps you in your future splicing efforts, and I can’t wait to see what you do next :sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

They look wonderful! I hope you’re proud of them. Please make more, I’d love to see it.

6 Likes

Thanks for the advice! I edited the Echidna splice and it feels a lot more natural.

Before:
Polished-1.png

After :

unnamed (1)

10 Likes

The portrait definitely looks better shading wise, I’ll admit that the colours look a bit washed out or its just me not used to seeing FE7-like colours.

I do have Blade’s hair colour palettes which are more to FE8 standard incase you want them as well as the skin colours.

2 Likes

It’s good to see you made some progress. You should pick your favorite characters and re-colour them. It’s an enjoyable way to explore palettes and practice colours.

3 Likes

Yeah that would be helpful. I already have the skin tones sheet.

3 Likes

Here you go, credit to Blade for all of these
1c6b3e3fddf09239bee6069898952cd19a6b32a8

8 Likes

It’s been updated.

So has the skin sheet.

4 Likes

Made some edits

Before:
unnamed (2)unnamed (4)unnamed

After :
unnamed (5)-1.png (2)unnamed (5)-1.png (1)unnamed (5)-1.png

9 Likes

They definitely look more blended and are softer on the eyes. The most important thing to know is are you satisfied with them?

3 Likes

Definitely! It’s great to see that this community has a bunch of resources for beginners to use!

3 Likes

2 new splices
unnamed (11)-1.png (2)unnamed (11)-1.png (1)

Morph Version-
unnamed (11)-1.png (3)

8 Likes

Damn, that Karla/Noah/Juno girl is so pretty :heart_eyes::sparkling_heart: Such a great combo :two_hearts:

Also, I don’t recognize anything on that guy besides Saleh, but he also looks great :333. I love the Morph variant, too. Finally, justice for the Morphs :clap:

The morph guy has Knoll’s face and I messed around with Idunn’s hair.

2 Likes

unnamed (11)-1.png (8)Fir-1.png (2)

9 Likes

Dayum, now THAT’S what I’m talkin’ about! Mugs where you can still tell what’s been used from where, but it’s still just unique enough to stand out and create an actual character instead of a hodge-podge, I love this! :partying_face::sparkling_heart: Plus, these two look great in general, what with the redhead’s massive muscles and the feather lady’s luscious locks :heart_eyes_cat::two_hearts: Keep up the great work, Lanzy :sunglasses::heart_decoration:

1 Like

Glad people are using lyns clothes. They’re really good

3 Likes

Wow! You must be enjoying this. You’re doing great.

4 Likes

Awaken, my masters!

Echidna-2.png (6)Hawkeye-2.png-1.pngunnamed (11)-1.png (8)

15 Likes