Control Enemy + NPC units [FE8]

, ,

Change 0x1545a to 0A E0.

12 Likes

Co-Op FE game to play with a friend, with blue and green units :O?

7 Likes

Interesting idea… what if it was combo’d with this!?

You know, that 2-player non-link arena concept by markyjoe1990 and Nintenlord?
̶A̶c̶t̶u̶a̶l̶l̶y̶,̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶h̶a̶p̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶.̶ ̶ ̶W̶e̶l̶l̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶b̶e̶t̶ ̶p̶u̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶w̶o̶ ̶t̶o̶g̶e̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶a̶t̶e̶.̶.̶.̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶!̶ ̶

5 Likes

UPDATE, SAME APLIES TO FE7 but in 0x153Ea, just change the 17 D0 to 0A E0.
Circles, you are my Hero, this makes that the player can control Green Units and Red Units in their fase, so you can make a Treeway battle lol, can this make it so you can have 4 players?? Or can we make this so you can only control Green and Blue Units for a Co-Op as Crazycolorz said??

Or better Yet, could we get two or tree prep screens? Cause that would be awesome

1 Like

Other possible applications might include allowing for controllable NPC’s so that you can have units that don’t gain exp, perhaps disposable mercenaries? You can already do this with blue units, it’s true, but this might be more intuitive for some.

4 Likes

Hi Circleseverywhere. Could you explain in more detail how to do this? Thanks!

Open rom in hex editor, goto offset 0x1545a, change it to 0A E0.

This works by replacing the first check to see what phase it is with just going to the result if player phase, so no matter what every faction is controllable. If you want to control them individually I drew this up rq which should work for changing each faction’s result by changing where their checks go to if conditions are set:

NPC at 0x1545A - 0x0A = act as player, 0x07 = act as enemy, 0x17 = act as NPC     
Enemy at 0x1545E - 0x08 = act as player, 0x05 = act as enemy, 0x15 = act as NPC
Player at 0x15462 - 0x06 = act as player, 0x03 = act as enemy, 0x13 = act as NPC
7 Likes

I used this method to turn the player AI into the enemy. But they won’t move when it’s their turn. Is there a way to fix that?

you have to type 0A under 0A and E0 under 0B at offset 0x1545 and it makes all faction playable

It’s because they don’t have AI ?

I hope my bumping of this thread is forgiven, as I have love for FE6 to share. Thanks to the ASM for this being largely identical across three games, I was able to find its location pretty much immediately. As such, I say the credit still goes to circleseverywhere for the initial posting.

The procedure is the same. You would change 0x15A22 to 0A E0 in the FE6 ROM.

If you need more control, the offsets are the same as Sme’s post above, so you can utilize subtraction and addition to find the other addresses. Though, l think it’s better to look at it in a disassembler so you can see what’s going on.
(Speaking of, I want to note: Sme’s “player acts as enemy” value is redirecting it to the actual enemy phase check, which seems to safely fail and skip the player phase instantly. This is actually a good thing because it looks like the game doesn’t have a “proc” for player AI, so using the enemy or NPC’s AI proc makes it do the “garbage-sprite crash” the game likes to do.)

1 Like

Sorry I dont quite understand. I have the fe8 gba file opened in hex editor and found 1545a but what exactly am I supposed to do here to be able to control enemy phase? could you explain like i am 5? because this is my first day for doing any of this

I think there’s an FEBuilder patch for it, you don’t need to bother hex editing.

I was able to do it. Thanks

1 Like