What's the pros and cons of hacking the different GBA games?

I want to know this before I go ahead and try making a little demo later, just to see which out of the three GBA games would work the best for me.

1 Like

fe8
Pros

• has user support
  • has a million patches

Cons

• ?

fe6/fe7
Pros

• has a slightly different ui which is kinda cool ngl

Cons

• has very little community support

Use fe8 if you’re making your own game. Only use fe6/fe7 if you’re not editing the chapters/events and want to reskin these games

7 Likes

dayum, that’s a simple choice ngl

Well thanks for the help! I’ll be using FE8 then.

3 Likes

That’s a bit oversimplified. It’s true FE8 has great, great community support and is capable of doing many things, but its eventing system is more advanced than FE6 and FE7, so if it doesn’t gel with you, it can be a steep learning curve. In terms of comparison, FE8 is harder to learn than FE6 and FE7, but you will be rewarded with greater capabilities if you stick with it.

I also want to say FE7 eventing is perfectly doable, it just can’t do as much as FE8. Big thing being it has no variables, it can only store flags. FE6 is doable as well, but its selection of events are even more limited than FE7.

The recommendation is still FE8, but if you really want FE7 or FE6’s gamefeel and want to build off that instead of recreate it, they’re not an invalid option.

2 Likes

There are also non-gba options in Lex Talionis and Tactile, and non traditional FE options in SRPG studio (however this is paid software so this should only be used if you’re committed to the investment).

1 Like

There are some features in the Elibe (6 & 7) games that aren’t as smoothly implementable into FE8. FE6 allows up to ten support partners, has trial maps, and the retro pan over the map before preparations. FE7 has the option to select each lord’s campaign, and the nice Lyn mode ending, if you want to have a timeskip.

1 Like

FE6 also has unique Ballista being stationary instead of the moving rideable ones in 7/8.
The FE6 Ballista are placed with terrain tiles while 7/8 use trap data to place them.
The FE6 Ballista being terrain have arrow counts when hovered over, they also let you move on/off of them on the same turn and use your own weapons, not just the Ballista when on the tile.

3 Likes

I think Eebit ported this to fe8 recently

3 Likes