What was your favourite chapter to make in your own works?

One thing I’ve noticed myself thinking whenever I write a story-- whether it be one of my written works, or the two romhacks I’ve published here-- is “Man, I can’t wait to write this chapter.” Only recently, I ended up having a conversation about it with my brother and he thought this would be a good question to ask people.

When you plan out a plot, there tends to be moments you look forward to making. It can be a good thing; you’re ready and know exactly what you’re doing when you get there, and it usually turns out spectacularly since you’re motivated to write it. Or, it can be a bad thing, if you don’t have enough restraint; you rush to get there and while it might turn out great, the rest of the story suffers as a result.

So, in your own romhacks, what were the chapters you looked forward to creating the most and why?

For myself, in Treasure Hunters, it was Chapter 10. This was the tone shift chapter, where the story stops messing around and throws you into the deep end. If you’re already there, it throws you into the deeper end. You’re being chased across the country by all four of the territories that inhabit it. You were betrayed by a man you agreed to help and don’t know why, he’s teamed up with his enemy and they’re working together to hunt you, and now the other two territories are getting involved and are siding with them… Everything is against you this chapter, and it’s why I love it so much.

In Kingdom of Ghosts, there were actually two different chapters: Chapter 9 and Chapter 22.

Chapter 9 was the route split; you’re fighting three different factions in a spacious building with multiple rooms and paths, and while I couldn’t make it work in the game itself, it’s implied they’re all fighting each other as well. It’s exactly what the chapter title says: an all-out war.

Chapter 22 just came out recently so I’ll be more vague with it: It’s a massive tone shift, a great truth has been revealed, and now you’re in the final stretch or your adventure. All the important stuff that’s been built up to is now coming into play. And most importantly, you’re up against your toughest foes yet. There’s no room for error anymore. The end is upon you.

4 Likes

Imo, its was 2K-4 in my own hack. Having some spaces open up when acted on made the map feel more dynamic.

1 Like

That’s a tough one. After a certain PME I participated in circa 2018, which was when I got the hang of eventing (I’d been just the mapper for most of it), I find that most of the chapters I’ve made afterwards had a clear motivation/inspiration that I wanted to put in practice.

FE8 FFA

FE8 FFA is mostly a spur of the moment romhack, but I have to highlight the Arena and Battle Royale modes for being more complex. In general though, I like that it’s a romhack where the possibilities of the Fourth Allegiance patch are explored, something I’ve seen very few romhacks use unfortunately.

RE8

RE8 is a 1-chapter hack so it’s a given, but the short version of it: It’s a long escape chapter in which you can and should talk to NPCs along the way to get them to try to escape as well. It has sections where it may be possible to proceed slowly, but there are NPCs that are likely to die if you don’t hurry and you’re likely needing their help later. Other sections spawn waves for a couple of turns, where you often have to fall back a bit because it’s hard to stand your ground without running risks, but you may have to consider risks also due to the NPCs because they might not fall back like you wanted. It has a multi-phase boss. It has a gimmick for one playable unit, he’s weaker but every kill he gets spawns an NPC zombie that follows him around. It has a cryptic recruitment condition for one of the NPCs. Then once you get to the final stretch, all waves re-activate simultaneously, so there’s chaos from all directions but ahead is the only way to go, and even though you will probably lose units you will lose less than if you don’t advance.

Sengoku Oda

Sengoku Oda has multiple chapters, though in comparison they’re longer than average. Each of them has at least one thing I wanted to implement, and I’ll think about which one is my favorite as I summarize them:
-Prologue: You are trying to kill more bandits and visiting more vilalges than the NPC army. You have the option of forming a truce with the NPC army, otherwise you can fight each other as you compete.
-Chapter 1: There are two castles, but you only need to seize the far one. Depending on how many defenders of the near castle you spared, they might defect and help you in capturing the far castle. It has an event battle in which the leader of the enemy clan (who was an important gameplay aspect in the prologue) is unexpectedly killed. Depending on the truce in the prologue, one of your units might undeploy themselves. The (new) boss and a mandatory NPC are effective against each other, so you have to consider whether you can use him to speed up the boss kill or if it’s too risky to let him attack.
-Chapter 2: You use the momentum of the enemy leader’s assassination to try to eliminate them once and for all. Depending on the truce in the prologue, one of the prologue NPCs might be recruitable. The enemy clan is known for physical units, but you notice there are magical units mixed in this time which makes your commander uneasy, and if you kill 3/4 of them he expects the enemy formed an alliance with another clan. Depending on whether he realized this, when powerful reinforcements arrive, either you or them will receive buffs making the rest of the chapter easier/harder. The chapter then turns from seize to escape.
-Chapter 2x: Depending on whether a certain unit died in chapter 2 (which is virtually guaranteed if you expected reinforcements, very unlikely otherwise), you get access to this chapter. The chapter revolves around two factions of the enemy clan fighting each other, and you’re just there to try and profit from it. You can get droppable items, 100 exp from each visited village, and recruitable bosses, so you want to beat the NPCs to all of that. The two prepromotes cannot be deployed. Units you deploy in this chapter will be unable to participate in chapter 3. You can retreat whenever you want.
-Chapter 3: A seize throne chapter, where you’re perfoming a joint attack, and once again you get rewards if you beat the NPCs to it. The castle has several tiers and is surrounded by moats, which slow you down and reduce your avoid. You can stand on switches to lower bridges so that you don’t have to cross the moats anymore. You can cause some of the defenders to turn into NPCs, but you have to consider whether you’d rather have extra help (including lowering bridges from the inside) or keep them as enemies to get droppables.
-Chapter 4: A “capture the forts” chapter, where you compete with the enemy to hold the majority of forts for a certain amount of turns. There are “shallows” terrain in the map, which cost as much as forests normally, but rain (which alternates every 2 turns) change their costs to that of rivers, which most units can’t cross, so you have to plan ahead to not get yourself cut off and to try and get enemies cut off. Different enemy/allied reinforcement groups appear depending on the amount of held forts at any given turn. In the middle of the chapter, neutral NPCs appear and in the following turn you have the option to offer items/gold/a specific unit to get them to assist you and flank the enemy, otherwise they’ll leave. Once either team wins the first phase, the enemy boss leaves and it becomes a rout chapter. However if you manage to defeat the boss still in the first phase, you immediately win the chapter.
-Chapter 5: A rescue competition (inspired by FE10 part 2 prologue). You win if, when the turn limit is reached, the hostage is not being held by an enemy unit. The chapter can fail early if the enemy escapes with the hostage or if the hostage is killed. At the start of the chapter, you can pay bandits to assist you, otherwise you also have to prevent them from killing the hostage. 3/4 of your deployed units start hidden, and will stun enemies for that turn when they approach, revealing themselves.
-Chapter 6: A defend chapter with 5 possible endings. Your army starts split, half of them inside the fort and half of them outside unable to move. An insider must break through the enemy formation to “request reinforcements” which will allow the outsiders to begin moving. The insider commander can issue orders to NPCs. After some turns pass, the enemy begins deploying a siege ladder, opening another way they can enter. Determinant conditions for the endings: NPC defenders were routed, the insider commander was defeated, the enemy commander was defeated, the enemy seized the throne.

With all of that said, I’d say my favorite is chapter 4. It has more mechanics than the others, all of which were fun both to implement and play through, and player actions/decisions are even more determinant than in others and can lead to very different playthroughs. Story-wise (and historically) this was a turning point, which is reflected in this being a longer chapter with a more climatic vibe than even the following two chapters.

Fire Dark

And I might as well spoil that I’m going to post another one soon, after some finishing touches. I don’t like doing this but better than editing my post later.
It’s once again a longer chapter, inspired by a certain N64 FPS game that I played a lot in my childhood. It has multiple objectives, how many you need to complete (and how many you can fail) depending on the difficulty. It has an elevator in the middle, which lets you travel quickly between each floor but only 4 units can be in it at once, which is just half of your party. Some things can trigger an alarm, which is essentially some waves of reinforcements, but there is also a mechanic to temporarily disable the alarm for a few turns once, so if you time it right you can avoid it. One objective revolves around making an NPC reach the other side of the map on another floor, but there are stages to this: the first time you talk to him, he will try to run towards an enemy and get himself rescued by them. The second time you talk to him, he will stop his rescuing antics (he’ll keep doing it after you kill his rescuer otherwise) and start moving towards his goal. From that point on, you can talk to him repeatedly to get him to hurry (each Talk increasing his movement by 1).

So all in all I’m not much of a writer, even though I tried in Sengoku Oda, and gameplay is where the ideas pop up more often.

1 Like

Boss Chapters.

Setting up the map and the story to have high stakes/mechanics is peak to me.
I have a chapter in my current project that has warp tiles, Ballista, murder holes and a kill room. The boss room had 2 mini bosses to deal with as well

1 Like

Call of the Armor Endgame and An Unexpected Caller Endgame pt. 2 are my top 2 imo.

1 Like

Fate of the Fallen, Chapter 7x was really fun to build, and it was the first time I did something I was worried might be too much.
But then I made Chapter 12, which was so weird with a bunch of smaller challenges culminating in mini in game history lessons.
And then Chapter 14 which was about 100x100 tiles or so. Of which I only actually used 3 smaller areas within, though I still built it all out just in case haha.

This monstrosity, I made for Mina’s adventure 0.3.
You play all of Lyn mode all at once.

map and unit placement

Every single Lyn mode map is mashed into this.
Almost every tile is from Lyn mode with few exceptions, if you want have fun trying to find them all!
The enemy placement matches Lyn mode as does the player placement
It is Ch 20X so have fun finding the seize point lol.

1 Like

Dear God.

It’s beautiful.

1 Like

Thank you!
Fun fact the map is the maximum possible size for maximum Lym mode fun!

That’s another map I should’ve added to my list of “Maps I really wanted to make”, the Great Mountain Ruins postgame map from Treasure Hunters. It’s probably one of the best maps in the game (Since TH’s gameplay is kinda meh) since there’s stuff to do everywhere in the map. Filling the space was something some of the other large maps in TH couldn’t really succeed in. Large maps are so cool, but really hard to make. But in this map, there’s enemies to fight, chests to open, and the ultimate end goal of pressing the switches and getting into the temple. It looks really good, too, at least in my opinion. The Mountainous tileset continues to be the best tileset in my opinion. You can do nearly anything with it.

Map

I once mentioned the story was adapted into a Fire Emblem romhack from a Minecraft map of the same name, also made by me. All of the dungeons in the hack that the main characters raid appear in the original MC map, and Great Mountain Ruins’ recreation in the romhack is probably the most faithful to the original MC version of the dungeon, aside from maybe Gyakusatsu. A large, lonely area with structures and treasure scattered around. GMR was also my favourite dungeon in the original MC map because it captured the intended atmosphere better than any other dungeon. And it captures the spirit of treasure hunting equally as well in the romhack.

Man. Treasure Hunters has a lot of history behind it, huh?

I made* two hacks, and my favourite chapters in those are for the complete oposite reasons.

Can I cheat? I’m going to cheat. My favourite chapter of Emulation Theory is actually three chapters in a trenchcoat: Chapter 23xx, Chapter 24 and Chapter 25. (there’s actually only one; explanation down below).

For The Tales of The Conquerors, it’s chapter 3 of The Scouring, titled “On the Western Front”

Emulation Theory (Spoilers for an old hack)

Gameplay-wise, you only play one map. Because 23xx and 24 don’t have any enemies. For a bit of context, after 23x you play 5 chapters with a lot of strong enemies, going through the space between Magvel and Elibe (the main goal of Eirika is to reach Magvel) and with little to no time to breathe (few cutscenes). When you finally reach Magvel, at chapter 23xx, you’re greeted with yet another big map with a lot of enemies and no cutscenes. The catch? It ends instantly (due to story reasons, those enemies are actually allies). I really enjoy how the story flow goes in that sequence, and I pat myself in the back for it.

Chapter 24 also has no enemies. Its just a small chapter where you get a bunch of dialogue between the units that survive. There are no supports in this game, so I really liked writing a bunch of low-stakes conversations between the characters. There’s also some story beats and jokes that get their conclussion there which I like.

But it’s not the end. The cast is met with a debate. Where’s the final boss? They know it’s hidden somewhere in Magvel, but it’ll take a lot of time to investigate each and every location. Lo and behold, the next and second-to-last map takes place in the least played map of Sacred Stones, Malkaen Coast. Since day 1 of this hack I wanted to make a chapter that took place in that map. That one does have enemies, nothing game-breaking, but what I liked about it is the story behind it. Gameplay-wise you’ve only played one map between chapter 23xx and 25.

The Tales of The Conquerors (gameplay spoilers?)

I’ve always wanted to make a chapter inspired on Genghis Khan’s “Crisol” map on Age of Empires 2. This is the one. You have to ally or conquer all five castles, and each one needs something specific. I love it mainly because of the gimmick and the AoE influence, but the map’s also pretty.

Good topic! I like rambling about my hacks

I was pretty elated when I doubled back to make C3 in Drums of War, after figuring out how I could emulate the Siege of Madrigal objective in an FE format (the Myth campaigns have inspired a lot of objectives, not just story. See also C8 being heavily inspired by The Baron, and E-2 to some extent on Redemption… I’m sure there’s others I’m forgetting. Seven Gates is the real one that got away, not for want of trying). It’s still maybe the best chapter in the campaign. Maybe in either of my campaigns. It was a significant writing challenge as well, trying to smoothly convey everything going to hell to justify the Big Events to come, in the space of a single chapter. In the end, it all just came together.

C18 is probably the closest Do5 equivalent - with a big helping hand from RW putting together the map, with a significantly more deft hand with very tight indoor spaces than I have. Tells a lot in a short time, has an inventive and distinct twist on the gameplay that plays out well in practice after seeming like a risk in theory, has some delicious !!conditionals!! and just generally came out in a deeply satisfying way. This, along with being only the second completely ‘new’ Do5 map (not counting the remade C3 and C14A). Sometimes you just look back and thing: yeah. That turned out right.

1 Like