What do you enjoy most about Fire Emblem?

There are so many srpgs out there that are very unique and interesting in design however you are here reading this thread specifically about one series of srpgs. Why? What male Fire Emblem special for you?

6 Likes

I dont even know myself, i tried awakening Demo when i was 12 and… i just liked it, a lot.

3 Likes

It’s quite simply really. I can’t stand isometric SRPGs, and the Fire Emblem games are some of the only good ones that aren’t.

1 Like

the most important thing for me is map design, so if that’s good then it’s the thing i enjoy the most.

4 Likes

Well first off, SRPGs I find a lot more fun than I do standard, turn-based RPGs. Being able to move around and make your position matter is infinitely more fascinating and can potentially create a bigger variety of playable scenarios.

Having to sit around while everything happens and only selecting a few commands is something I cannot get into anymore; it is simply too boring and hence why I don’t find it easy to return to SMT/Persona or the Pokemon Series. Only exceptions I make are for favorite RPGs of mine that are Final Fantasies 5 and 6.

FE as a whole is a very simple series when it comes to its RPG mechanics.
It doesn’t try to overwhelm the player a ridiculous amount of complex mechanics or consumable items; it is also decently paced in the sense that the games aren’t grindy and units level up fast.

The other thing that I really respect about FE is that every one of its games feels like a different experience. Some are more isolated than others but FE looks like it always tries to innovate and put something different with each entry. Unlike other game series that just do the same thing over and over with every new game.

And well, I enjoy that FE as a whole is anime.
I like anime over a setting that tries to be too realistic simply because too much “realism” can makes things unnecessarily boring. With FE, we get a varying degree of expressive personalities.

Fire Emblem is not a perfect series. Far from it, as I think that it needs as much overall polish with all of its innovations. But it is a series that I think has and will continue to age much better than most other Standard, Strategy or Isometric RPGs out there.

3 Likes

yeah man I like myrmidons doing flippy stuff too

Overcoming challenges when the odds are all against you through careful planning and strategy while uncertain outcome is still looming over everything, is very pleasing. Especially if an unorthodox or just blatantly ridiculous strategy is involved.

I like how simple most of the games are mechanics-wise. There are some games that are considered confusing to some but that’s less about them being complex and more them just being old games that usually expected a player to read the manual.
Complexity does not necessarily equal engaging, challenging, or fun, which I feel like a lot of RPG devs within the broader spectrum (even beyond SRPGs) don’t seem to understand. For example, FE6 hits all three of those qualities for me while many call it barebones mechanically.

The settings of most of the games hits the sweet spot in terms of being grounded in medieval times and being fantasy for me, which is pretty important.
The characters, story and permadeath are also a big part of what makes playing the games so fun, because you need a broader context for why you’re doing what you’re doing and the stakes at hand. Sure, the writing quality isn’t always the best, and sometimes the writing is nonexistent, but it helps that I just like war stories and as I said, this sort of setting.

Also the animations are cool.

3 Likes

IS does a really good job at getting me attached to their characters. Even in Sacred Stones which was my first FE game when I was a kid where it was agonizing to get supports, I loved and still do reading them and seeing the characters interact, and then using them in battle. Every game has characters I’m very attached to, even the FE games I don’t like as much.

FE is also simple and very easy to pick up and play, but still engaging and enjoyable as an SRPG.

Also the soundtrack for every game is a banger.

3 Likes

yeah Gilliam is my favorite fire emblem character too

2 Likes

Long term planning that pays off, training units, fighting enemies. That’s most of what I like in FE.

1 Like

I like that the chess pieces all have individual personalities and goals, and I love that they often interact with each other. A lot of SRPGs (including older Fire Emblem games, to be honest) have hordes of playable generics with no real personalities, wants, needs or goals to speak of, and Fire Emblem is among the few SPRGs where I can get attached to each and every character and want to see them all alive and happy at the end.

Heck, that’s the reason I’ve avoided ironman runs altogether until just recently. Permadeath is not what I like about these games, and I don’t care if they’re just a number at the end of the day, they’re a number with a face and unique dialogue and I don’t want to lose them if I don’t have to.

5 Likes

12 Likes

yeah… definitely

Started playing sacred stones on my moms old gba lite when I was 8, and it just kinda clicked. And Gheb

2 Likes

Sense of progression and the series having a generally strong and simple pick up and play gameplay loop.

Anyway play Yggdra Union.

3 Likes

Generally great characters all around, fun gameplay, permadeath, high replayability thanks to many characters and tools to change them up a bit. Aswell as a certain funny egg shaped man who shall not be named

2 Likes

I was about 12 years old when i stumbled upon Fire Emblem (Blazing Sword) in a game shop.
My mother was kind enough to buy it for me.
Ooooh boy i fell in love with it, especially when i found out you could promote units.

The GBA games are what sold me to the franchise and i still love those the most. Simplistic but very well executed. A couple years later i discovered the rom hacking community and i fell in love with the franchise all over again. So now it’s more the products that arise from the community than the newer games imo.

2 Likes

The strength of Fire Emblem, like Advance War, is it simplicity. Even a child can understand how to play the game and enjoy it, and that’s how many of us discovered Fire Emblem.
Of course, simplicity doesn’t mean that the games can’t be challenging, but you won’t need to have in mind tens of intertwined mechanics to get good at the game

1 Like

What I like about Fire Emblem are the simplistic, yet addicting gameplay, the music, and much more. I got into Fire Emblem when I was older, but I still got addicted to it. My first game was Blazing Blade, but I also played parts of Mystery of the Emblem, Sacred Stones, and Heroes. I hope to experience more Fire Emblem in the future.

1 Like