What are the differences between a Reskin romhack and an Original romhack

Since nobody has ask this question before and it seem that everybody has an implicit understanding of the difference between a reskin and an original Hack without needing a detailed explanation,
I thought I would be an idiot and ask for a detailed definition/description of a reskin and an original Romhack.

Furthermore why do we have to differentiate between a Reskin and an original project?

You may now laugh at this idiot :joy:

Edit: I just realize after I post the question that we have a question category sorry for putting this in the wrong category
Can any of the moderator move this topic?

2 Likes

Essentially if it’s still ‘basically FE8 but with new characters’, like most PMEs, or a super old hack where hacking wasn’t as advanced like Flying Ace’s Devourer of Worlds it’s a reskin.

If it’s basically a new game that just uses Fire Emblem as a base, like… well, a lot of hacks nowadays really, but to put a particular name like Lonely Mirror it’s an original romhack. Hopefully that makes any sense.

8 Likes

Ok so my problem is when A Hack use all the same characters as original Fire Emblem Game but with an Entirely New Story to tell. Why do we still call that Hack a Reskin?
For example: The Fallen Princess Romhack by Ema Colito being labeled by its own creator as a Reskin just because it uses all the old fe8 characters but tell an entirely different story and with all new battle map

2 Likes

Like many things it is a gradient/bimodal distribution.

Pmes are typically a pure reskins almost identical story with a new units.

Something like vision quest is an original hack with new characters and story.

Then you run into scenarios like saint ruberto’s the princess’s lament or my own mina’s adventure with more drastic changes than a typical reskin with new characters maps and story, they can lean more one way or another but don’t fit either camp fully, however I personally think they’re still reskins.

The real issue if any I think you’re looking at is that the term reskin encompasses a very wide amount of projects everything from simple visual overhauls, to gameplay rebalances and story rewrites fall into this category, even hacks like project ember that do all that are still reskins, as they are built on top of the original game.

5 Likes

I think I found an satisfying Answer thank you for sharing your thoughts