WAve's assorted creative outbursts

Don’t mind me - I’m just playing around with custom tile-sets.

FF2 - Cave 1 Test

18 Likes

Just damn that is something interesting.

1 Like

This would be an amazing map to play in

In the words of the great DJ Khaled - “Another One!”
FFV Caves Test 01

“Pirate Hideout” tileset - from FFV - coming soon.

15 Likes

is it bad i want to see roy and co wander through some pirate caves now

This is epic.

Exdeath Castle tileset when

Exdeath’s castle is definitely on the list!

More progress!
FFV Caves Test 02
I’m going to take my time on this one. I’ve altered the tone and shading of the wooden elements to more closely match GBAFE’s and added some small sprite “leitmotifs” to hopefully help the tileset feel more grounded in GBAFE’s universe.
I’ll look at adding and animating water next.

11 Likes

I’m almost ready to release this.
I’ve tried to strike a good balance between keeping things faithful to the original style, whilst trying to alter the shading/tone to match GBAFE’s style.

I’ve thrown together a quick example map showing off most of the features. I’ve a few more things to add/alter first though.

Example Map 02
Custom water animations are in. Although for the time being, they’re based on FE4-FE8’s animations. The lapping water effects of FFV will take a little more time to reproduce.

Compared to my last custom tileset, this one is far more modular and it’s much easier to build and design layouts with. However, you do have to be careful where floor tiles connect; it can be a little too easy to accidentally link two varying heights together without realising.

18 Likes

It’s so beautiful

Thank’s to my additional free-time, I’ve got a few more tile-sets in the works.
Come with me on a wonderful trip to Hell - literally.

Here’s a small preview of a tileset based on Castle Pandemonium (FFII), working in FE8.
Pandemonium Test Screen 01

Fun-fact, FFII uses 8 palettes for each of its tilesets… FEGBA only uses 5. Some tiles will be heavily modified before the final release.

11 Likes

I can appreciate these tilesets FE x FF. Just looks a bit light on the avoid terrain.

2 Likes

Good point.
I’ll be sure to add a throne/gate and a few pillar variations.

These FF tilesets are valid :eyes:

2 Likes

May as well post some updates here:

Currently working on two (three) new tile-sets based on Final Fantasy:

First - the Leviathan from FFII
Leviathan Test 05

Second - the Castle Exterior (the Big Bridge) from FFV
Test Screenshot 02

(Third is Exdeath’s Castle - however, there’s nothing substantial to show yet.)

11 Likes

brother?

12 Likes

Here are a few new tiles I cooked up:
FE5’s Church, FE5’s Supply Hut, FE1’s Supply Tent and FE4’s Church - next to the existing buildings for comparison.
The collection 03
Here they are in action:
Pherae is a Holy Place 02

I’m still working on the other tilesets. However, organising the tiles to make them usable is taking a bit of time. I’ve also got to recreate a lot of layered tiles as single flat objects. But here’s some progress:
Test Screenshot 03

20 Likes

Water 01

Pool’s Closed!

15 Likes

That’s hawt…I like it.

1 Like

In other news, I’m trying to get back into spriting…
Alan Watts WIP 05

9 Likes

So my battle-station’s GPU has died :frowning:

My old laptop isn’t really up to any artistic endeavours so sadly a lot of my projects will be put on hiatus until I can get hold of a new one - or I just bite the bullet and build a new rig.

That being said, I have found a whole load of my old maps and sprites that I’d don’t think are floating around anywhere at the moment. Seeing as they’re all quite old and I’ve no further use for them, they are all free to use and free to edit. There’s a lot of WIPs that I’m unlikely to come back to, so feel to finish them off or whatever. I’m probably not coming back to them.

First up, some old maps

FE2 Gaiden Remake
Back in the day, a user named Azel was trying to recreate Fire Emblem Gaiden in FE8. I made a few maps for him. Some of them contain a lot of compromises as I wasn’t quite so savvy with tilesets editing.

The first one I made was the first map of chapter 1 - a village under attack by bandits.
Prolouge

I also remade the assault on the outpost map. Despite its simplicity, I’m really happy with how this one turned out. This one still holds up quite well to this day.
Fire Emblem 2 Chapter 1 Battle 5scrn

And now for the ninth map of act 1 - the siege of Zofia Castle.
I was never happy with the way this one turned out. The water just didn’t look right.
Fire Emblem 2 Chapter 1 Battle 9scrn

And here’s one of the endless clone maps used in act three. Again, I’m really happy with the results - however, the end product still suffers from a lot of the issues that plagued FE2’s map design.
Chapter 4 Battle 1 (2)scrn

I also made a map of Dozer’s Castle (as he was called back then), but I can’t seem to find that one. IIRC that one was absolutely dreadful.

Early palette work
Nowadays custom palettes are a really common thing to see to in FE hacks. This is mostly thanks to tools like FEBuilder. However, in the days of old, custom map palettes were quite time-consuming to make - everything had to be done in a hex editor with a calculator by your side (at least that’s the inefficient method I used).

First up is a palette I’m sure that you’ve all seen before. I remember being asked to create a poisonous-looking cave with Thracia fog. I think it turned out quite well. With the new tools at our disposal, I may return to this one, tart it up a little and release it to the public with regular fog. But for now, here’s a test screen of it working in FE6A - my old FE6 to FE7 port.
Fire Emblem - Sword of Seals Remake Dark Cave Palette

I also made a GBA-style FE4 palette which I believe was used in FE4A: Arch’s old FE4 Remake which was cancelled in the most spectacular fashion! I don’t think I have any screenshots or images of that palette though sadly.

There was also a night version of that palette which you can see below. I’m not sure if this ended up being used for anything…
V1: Fire Emblem - The Dark Shrine Palette Test 3
V2: Fire Emblem - The Dark Shrine Palette Test 4

I also made this fancy-looking gold/green palette for a mapping contest on Serenes Forest. At the time, FEAW started making custom palettes for each of their entries. So, naturally, I had to keep up with the Jones and make my own.
Comp Round 34

Early Custom Portraits and Splices
I did enjoy making splices and custom portraits back in the day. It was a really relaxing way to spend an evening when your friends weren’t doing anything.
I certainly wasn’t the best artist and many of my early attempts were pretty shocking. Whilst these aren’t my worst custom sprites or splices - they certainly aren’t on par with many of the amazing artists that were around back in the day.
There’s not much to say about each of these portraits. Most were probably going to be used in my FE8 hack - The Dark Shrine (which was restarted more times than I can count).
Feel free to tart them up, give them a good home and use them in your own projects.

Alven Athrun Contest entry week 10 (Movri) Ithome 2 Sephiran Zeed Misty Misha Hetzel GBA Radney

Unfinished WIPs:
And finally, here’s a collection of things that I obviously never finished - if anyone wants to finish them and use them for themselves, go for it. I’m not sure why I didn’t finish them all. I know I gave up on Izuka’s hair, as I was never happy with it - the others: I probably just forgot about them and moved on to different art projects. Sad really, both Sanaki and Catria look like promising starts.

Blume Catria Izuka Sanaki

There are way more maps I could upload but I’ll leave it here for now. That’s enough of a history lesson for today.

19 Likes