All right, I think I’ve got it!
After a lot of testing and actually having to learn what was going on beyond just looking for references to the operating unit, I realized that in my test ROM, the game was reading 0 anytime it was looking to the summon table. And it turns out that the reason writing to analogous addresses wasn’t working was because the summon table was broken. I went back to test it, and it looks like it isn’t safe to expand the summon table after shrinking it if SkillSystem is installed in FEBuilder. This is not related to my editing and seems to be an FEBuilder problem as it occurs in ROMs with no editing other than a skill system install.
I had got this pop up:
But I wasn’t sure what it was trying to tell me. I had thought it was something to do with FEBuilder’s error reporting, like it was trying to run a check of whether all the units with summons assigned had the summon skill, like how it will tell you that an axe unit doesn’t have animations assigned for all throwing axes (something I’m familiar with because of my hack having a PRF throwing axe that I didn’t bother to assign animations for to classes that wouldn’t be using it). But if this pop up comes up, it means Skill System’s summon table is broken and won’t properly check if a unit has already summoned.
Thankfully, I was working in test ROMs and haven’t broken my actual project.
Anyway, here’s what you need to do to have summons assigned to classes instead of characters:
To assign summons to classes write these two addresses:
To make the check for an existing summon work without Skill System write these two addresses as Epicer stated:
To make the check work with Skill System write these two addresses:
I can try to write an installer to use in event assembler if there’s interest in it.